- What other names is Liver Extract known by?
- What is Liver Extract?
- How does Liver Extract work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Dosing considerations for Liver Extract.
Liver extract is used for improving liver function, treating chronic liver diseases, preventing liver damage, and regenerating liver tissue. It is also used for allergies; chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS); enhancing muscle development in bodybuilders; improving stamina, strength, and physical endurance; removing chemicals from the body (detoxification); and as an aid to recovery from chemical addiction or poisoning.
Possibly Ineffective for...
- Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). Some research suggests that injecting a combination of bovine liver extract, folic acid, and vitamin B12 for 3 weeks does not seem to improve fatigue in people with CFS.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Hepatitis C. Early research suggests that injecting liver extract plus flavin adenine dinucleotide intravenously (by IV) or as a shot into the muscle might improve response to interferon-alpha or interferon-beta therapy in people with hepatitis C.
- Improving liver function.
- Preventing liver damage.
- Treating liver diseases.
- Treating allergies.
- Improving muscle development.
- Improving strength and physical endurance.
- Removing chemicals from the body (detoxification).
- Recovery from chemical addiction.
- Other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Quick GuideVitamin D Deficiency: How Much Vitamin D Is Enough?
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There is not enough reliable information about the safety of taking liver extract if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
Too much iron in the body, including a condition called hemochromatosis: Liver extract contains iron and might make iron metabolism disorders worse. If you have one of these disorders, don't use liver extract.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.