Patient Comments: Liver Disease - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with liver disease? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: BROKEN, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 31

My husband is in final stages of liver disease, and dying. He has an enlarged spleen, diabetes, and his kidney is shutting down. He has yellow eyes, and his stomach is so swollen. They removed his leg from knee down. And now his other leg is swollen and has ulcers all over it. He is confused half the time. His memory is at the most time short. He is on water pills and water restriction. But he is swelling even more. He has gone from a size 40 to a size 46. He is weak and stays tired. He is in rehabilitation from the removal of his leg. They are trying to build his strength for him. But now he can't even pick himself up. I don't know how much longer he has. He stays in pain too.

Comment from: Michael, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I have AIDS and recently contracted hepatitis C. I've also been diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. My main symptom is severe itching. Everywhere. I scratch till I bleed on my legs, I squeeze my fingers and twist them instead of scratching. It feels so good. I'll run them under hot water for 20 to 30 minutes and at the same time I am squeezing and twisting my fingers. If I scratch with a layer of clothes between my fingers and skin I will often burn the skin without feeling any pain but when I look the skin is gone and I've again done damage.

Comment from: Coqui, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I developed urinary incontinence and bowel incontinence after my epidural steroid injection. I had MRI twice and after a week was ok.

Comment from: darie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had persistent ache in upper right abdomen, swollen upper abdomen and the feeling that the bra is too tight. Liver function tests were abnormal. I had digestive problems, wind, severe lower abdominal pain followed by diarrhea, particularly after eating foods containing fat. Ultrasound scan showed pink liver suggesting fat and sludge in gall bladder. Weight loss because of liver disease is 1 stone in last 3 to 4 weeks.

Comment from: AB, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

I have had severe itching on arms, legs, and now the neck for over a year. I have also been getting water blisters in different areas of arms, legs and hands. Fatigue and depression over the last 6 weeks has also increased. Blood tests showed liver enzymes elevated and I am set to have ultrasound on Friday.

Comment from: Kim, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I had mesh removal from bilateral inguinal hernia. Now I have developed severe pain where the mesh was removed. The pain radiates to my hips and there is a burning sensation down both legs at times. The pain never subsides. My navel has start to hurt badly because I did have a hernia there that I asked them not to remove. I take pain medicines and something to help me sleep, with which I feel no pain when asleep. I'm in constant pain and it's like I am having a lot of pressure on my bladder. I wonder if this is because of adhesions.

Comment from: Kasia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

Well, my story is a story of 19 years of ignoring my signs of liver problems, which ended up almost killing me. They were mostly very sneaky things like bloating, etc., but some were quite obvious like bad blood results, which I simply ignored.

Comment from: 2012, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

My child was born at 28 weeks weighing only 1.5 kg. She is now 3 and she weighs about 8 kg. She is shorter than kids her age but speaks fluently and is hyperactive. I am worried if she will catch up with her peers.

Comment from: Isla, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have constant upper right abdominal pain through to my back and under my right shoulder blade. My liver function tests show there are problems. I often have yellowing of the whites of my eyes, I rarely ever drink alcohol and when I do it"s half a glass of wine. However I just seem to be shunted from one consultant to another for a proper diagnosis but am not getting any help. I am constantly exhausted, I can easily sleep most of the weekend from Friday night to Monday morning just getting up for a few hours to wash and to eat. If I don"t do this I can"t cope with my full time job. I am depressed and so tired all the time.

Comment from: Alley, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 20

Liver treatment surgeons across the globe point out that in almost 50 percent of cases, liver diseases do not show any symptoms. However, the more prominent symptoms include those of jaundice or the eyes and skin turning yellowish due to accumulation of bilirubin in the white areas. In addition, dark urine, clay-colored stool, gastrointestinal tract bleeding and retention of fluids in the belly area are some notable symptoms of liver diseases.

Comment from: S.Ruiz, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 23

He has hepatitis C, type 2 diabetes. He got very disoriented, stopped eating, had insomnia, was bleeding rectally, unable to hold or know when he's going to have a bowel movement, couldn't breathe. When he got to the hospital they admitted him right away into ICU and put him on life support.

Comment from: Dard, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 22

I have had this problem for more than two years and after seeing 14 different dermatologists I was diagnosed with paronychia. I have tried many different medications including antibiotic, antifungal, steroid and nothing seem to work. I am in a lot of pain and can't do anything.

Comment from: VK, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

Because of liver disease, I am having very low hunger or appetite and eat very less; sometimes I also have loose motions and it has been more than 10 days.

Comment from: lawoolybear, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I have cirrhosis of liver, stage 4 liver failure. I am solid yellow, bleeding through pores, and losing weight every week.

Comment from: wife till death, Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My husband has a platelet count of 31, both red and white blood cells are down. He has lost 40 lbs in 6 months or less. He has Jaundice, anemia and he is malnourished.

Comment from: HEPB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

Just discovered that i have hepatitis B and chronic hepatitis B as well. I believe I've had it since 1992 and survived 19 years without treatment. I intend living another 20 and more. I'm not prepared to let this get the better of me. I will treat the disease. I am currently infectious and very sensitive to those around me and my loved one. Wish me luck and keep me in your prayers for my journey ahead.

Comment from: ourposse, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I was on an experimental drug at the time and was receiving routine blood tests. The research facility notified me that my Bilirubin count had dropped severely and to go and have a hep screen done. The test was negative twice and my GI believed that it was the drug and would the problem would fix itself. I then turned yellow and it was decided that I had auto-immune hepatitis. I have been at stage four cirrhosis and am on a variety of drugs including diuretics, antibiotics, and immune system suppressants. I will eventually require a transplant but for now am not sick enough to make the list. I was a non smoker and very light drinker.

Comment from: Ditsey, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

I was diagnosed with early stage of lymphoma after a mammogram showed a suspicious area. I had a biopsy done (it was under my arm) on the lymph node and was told a few days ago it was lymphoma. I am not sure how serious this is.

Comment from: Gas Pain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I take Zegerid and watch what I eat during the bad times. But above all, even though it hurts, STAY ACTIVE! If you just sit in a chair/stay in bed, it just prolongs the whole ordeal. During flare-ups, don't lift anything heavy. Don't eat anything spicy, and drink water to flush out the system. It can be miserable at times, but hang tough!

Comment from: JAYA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

My face and leg are swelling with liver disease.

Comment from: ROBERT, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 11

Liver disease has caused swelling of my chest cavity, weakness and paleness of the skin.

Comment from: nash2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I started with elevated liver enzymes. After that, a battery of different lab tests were ordered, which were all normal except the anti-smooth muscle antibody. I have history of a parent who died of liver disease at age 56. I have Graves' Disease and hypothyroidism. I had an ultrasound (gallbladder removed 3 years ago) which indicated I needed a biopsy. My biopsy shows NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis) stage 2 of 3 and stage 1 of 4 fibrosis. I do not know what the next steps are or what to do.

Comment from: frecklepuss, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 04

My boyfriend has stage 4 liver disease. He almost died when blood built up in his chest and he required surgery. He's very stubborn and his legs and calves on both feet are swollen. I don't know when to suggest that he go to the hospital.

Comment from: theresa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

The symptoms of my liver disease are abdominal pain, lethargy, esophageal variances, abdominal variances, weight loss, severe weakness, bad coordination, and more.

Comment from: dbehrens624, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I have Hepatitis C. So far I have experienced extreme fatigue, nausea and being cold all the time. Two years ago there was some liver damage, but that has reversed, and my liver is showing normal at this time.

Comment from: author47, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I did not notice any symptoms but was always tired and felt weak. Frequently, I had shoulder pain and numerous episodes of bronchitis and pneumonia, which has prompted the doctors to check into the possibility of lung cancer. I have already been diagnosed with liver disease, but the tests have not been done to determine the kind or extent of damage. I am a non-smoker, non-drinker, and do not do drugs or have sex with anyone except my spouse. I do take a pain medication for an inoperable (benign) tumor, but only take 1/2 pill at bedtime. I do not use OTC drugs of any kind.

Comment from: Partha, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 15

My liver disease symptomes are: stomach pain, low grade fever and headache.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter