Patient Comments: Liver Disease - Causes

If known, please discuss the possible cause(s) of your liver disease. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: shadowsmom42, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I just got lab work back showing my liver is not functioning properly, that my enzyme counts were through the roof, so-to-speak. Anyhow, I only drink about three times a year, I do take medicines but not over the counter medicines. All prescriptions I take my doctor is fully aware, as she prescribes what I need/take. When I told my doctor that I don't drink but three times a year, and that I don't take acetaminophen at all (my pain medicine is a pure opioid), she was kind of surprised, not understanding why my counts are so high. So, I need to get an ultrasound done and a ton more lab work on Monday. Just no rhyme or reason for the high counts, but it does explain why I feel the way I do. I knew something was up because I've been telling her I don't feel well; edema in my legs and abdomen and back area, tired, fatigued - things that just aren't me. Wish I had some answers right now.

Comment from: ilona, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

My doctor diagnosed me with FLD - fatty liver disease. This is caused by alcohol that I have been using for the past 17 years, although never strong alcohol, mostly ciders. I have been bulimic since the age of 17 and I still have the eating disorder that is together with the alcohol, having an effect on the liver. Look after your health before it"s too late.

Comment from: opmeena, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

My liver is painful, hard, and I have weight loss regularly. My SGPT is 89 and SGOT 72 now. I have been taking alcohol regularly for the last 24 years.

Comment from: RJ, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

I was working in a fast business environment for thirty years and not eating properly eating sugary things and drinking coffee all the time to get the job done. More worried about the job than my health. I also started drinking heavily about 5 to 8 years ago to relieve myself of the stress. That did not work. You end up drinking more and more and more. So now I am here due to acid reflux and things were noticed on some scans and here we are so the best advice you can take is eat right, sleep right and exercise to relieve stress. Take care of yourself when not feeling well remember no one will be there for you except family and maybe a friend or two. That's it so do it right and take care of yourself and live a long and happy life.

Comment from: umax, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 21

Acetaminophen pills abuse. Now my liver seems to swell at the right side below my ribcage area.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter