Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases such as:
- high cholesterol or triglycerides,
- blood flow obstruction to the liver, and
- toxins (medications and chemicals).
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Hepatitis C Quiz: What is Hepatitis C?
How many Americans have hepatitis C? Take this quiz to learn the facts about this chronic disease....
Alcohol Quiz: Alcoholism & Health Effects
Take the Alcohol (Alcoholism) Quiz to learn how your alcohol is processed by your body and your brain....
Liver Disease Quiz: Fatty Liver Disease, Cirrhosis & Symptoms
What is liver disease? Take the Liver Disease Quiz and test your knowledge about this organ and its function....
Picture of Hepatitis B
Inflammation of the liver due to the hepatitis B virus (HBV), once thought to be passed only through blood products. See a...
Picture of Liver
Front View of the Liver. The liver is a large, meaty organ that sits on the right side of the belly. See a picture of the Liver...
Picture of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (Hand)
Early Erythematous and hemorrhagic macules and papules appeared initially on the wrists of a young child. See a picture of Rocky...
Picture of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (Ankles)
Early Erythematous and hemorrhagic macules and papules appeared initially on the ankles of an adolescent. See a Rocky Mountain...
Symptoms of Mono: Infectious Mononucleosis Treatment
What is mononucleosis (mono)? Learn about mononucleosis (mono) symptoms, treatment, and diagnosis. Discover how mononucleosis...
Hepatitis C, Hep B, Hep A: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
What is hepatitis? Hepatitis A, B, and C spread in different ways, causing mild to serious effects on the liver. Learn about...
Alcohol Abuse: 12 Health Risks of Chronic Heavy Drinking
Read about the health risks of chronic heavy or binge drinking. Anemia, cancer, gout, cardiovascular disease and many more...
Hepatitis in Pictures: What Puts You at Risk?
See how Hepatitis types A, B and C are trasmitted through issues such as poor hygiene, contamination, sexual contact and more....
What's Causing Your Abdominal Pain?
Get the facts on the most common causes of abdominal pain. Learn the difference between a stomachache and more serious causes of...
Prescription Drug Abuse: Know The Warning Signs
Learn about prescription drug abuse facts and statistics about the dangers and misconceptions of abusing common prescription...
Hepatitis C (Hep C) Symptoms and Treatment
What is Hepatitis C (Hep C, HVC)? Learn about hepatitis c symptoms, how you get hepatitis c, contagiousness, and hepatitis C...
Anemia Symptoms and Signs, Types, Treatment and Causes
Anemia is a disease marked by low numbers of red blood cells. Low iron or underlying disease, like cancer, may be to blame....
Your Face: A Window Into Your Health
What medical problems appear on your face? Look into the mirror and find out. Jaundice, glaucoma, skin cancer, and cracked lips...
The 18 Most Expensive U.S. Medical Conditions
What are the most expensive medical conditions? Learn about heart conditions, brain disorders, back pain and many more expensive...
Digestive Health: Why Am I Bloated?
Bloating is a sign and symptom of gas in the stomach or GI tract. Certain foods or health problems like constipation may cause...
Foot Health: Causes of Swollen Feet and Ankles
Swollen feet and ankles may be associated with conditions like pregnancy, injury, heart failure, kidney disease, liver disease,...
Related Disease Conditions
Liver (Anatomy and Function)
The liver is the largest gland and organ in the body. There are a variety of liver diseases caused by liver inflammation,...
Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (Symptoms, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency (AATD) is an inherited disorder caused by mutations in the SERPINA1 gene. People with the...
A bruise, or contusion, is caused when blood vessels are damaged or broken as the result of a blow to the skin. The raised area...
Cholesterol (Lowering Your Cholesterol)
High cholesterol and triglyceride levels increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. Getting your cholesterol and triglyceride...
Cirrhosis of the liver refers to a disease in which normal liver cells are replaced by scar tissue caused by alcohol and viral...
Cystic fibrosis is a disease of the mucus and sweat glands. Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease. The outcome of the disease...
Gallstones are stones that form when substances in the bile harden. Gallstones (formed in the gallbladder) can be as small as...
Gaucher disease is caused by an inherited (genetic) defect in an enzyme glucocerebroside. Signs and symptoms for Gaucher...
Hemochromatosis (Iron Overload)
Hereditary hemochromatosis (iron overload) is an inherited disorder in which there is excessive accumulation of iron in the body....
Hepatitis (Viral Hepatitis, A, B, C, D, E, G)
Hepatitis is most often viral, due to infection with one of the hepatitis viruses (A, B, C, D, E, F (not confirmed), and G) or...
Hepatitis A and B Vaccinations
Hepatitis A and hepatitis B are the two most commnon viruses that infect the liver. Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B can be prevented...
Erectile Dysfunction (ED, Impotence)
Erectile dysfunction (ED, impotence) is the failure to achieve or maintain an erection. There are many potential underlying...
Infectious mononucleosis is a virus infection in which there is an increase of white blood cells that are mononuclear (with a...
Sickle Cell Disease (Sickle Cell Anemia)
Sickle cell anemia (sickle cell disease), a blood disease which shortens life expectancy, is cause by an inherited abnormal...
Hepatitis C (HCV, Hep C)
Hepatitis C is an inflammation of the liver due to the hepatitis C virus (HCV), which is usually spread by blood transfusion,...
Jaundice (Hyperbilirubinemia in Adults)
Jaundice (hyperbilirubinemia) in adults may be caused by a variety of medical diseases or conditions. Some cases of jaundice can...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas,...
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease occurs due to the accumulation of abnormal amounts of fat within the liver. Fatty liver most...
Pulmonary Hypertension (Symptoms, Treatment Medications, Life Expectancy)
Pulmonary hypertension is an increase pressure in the pulmonary arteries that carry blood from the lungs to the heart. The most...
Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) Symptoms, Stages, and Prognosis
Congestive heart failure (CHF) refers to a condition in which the heart loses the ability to function properly. Heart disease,...
Toxoplasmosis (toxo) is a parasitic infection that causes flulike symptoms, swollen lymph nodes, and muscle aches and pains that...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
STDs in Men
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria,...
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Intestinal Problems of IBD)
The inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) are Crohn's disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC). The intestinal complications of...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B)
The hepatitis B virus (HBV, hep B) is a unique, coated DNA virus belonging to the Hepadnaviridae family of viruses. The course of...
Tylenol Liver Damage
Tylenol liver damage (acetaminophen) can occur from accidentally ingesting too much acetaminophen, or intentionally. Signs and...
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis Treatment (PBC)
Primary biliary sclerosis (PBC) is thought to be an autoimmune disorder that involves the deterioration of the liver's small bile...
Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from...
Portal hypertension is most commonly caused by cirrhosis, a disease in which results from scarring of a liver injury. Other...
Varices are dilated blood vessels usually in the esophagus or stomach. Symptoms of bleeding varices include vomiting blood, black...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Jaundice (Newborn, Kernicterus)
Jaundice in infants occur when the baby's liver may not be developed enough to efficiently rid the body of bilirubin. Symptoms of...
SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth)
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) refers to a condition in which abnormally large numbers of bacteria (at least...
Drug-Induced Liver Disease
Drug-induced liver diseases are diseases of the liver that are caused by: physician-prescribed medications, OTC...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize serious diseases and health problems like strokes, heart attacks, cancers, reproductive problems in...
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF)
Rocky Mountain spotted fever is a tick-borne disease that causes symptoms and signs such as fever, rash, headache, and muscle...
Blood clots can occur in the venous and arterial vascular system. Blood clots can form in the heart, legs, arteries, veins,...
Encephalopathy means brain disease, damage, or malfunction. Causes of encephalopathy are varied and numerous. The main symptom of...
Ascites, the accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity is most commonly caused by cirrhosis of the liver. Some of the other...
Polycythemia (High Red Blood Cell Count)
Polycythemia (elevated red blood cell count) is a rare blood disease in which the body produces too many red blood cells....
Gynecomastia (Enlarged Male Breasts Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments)
Gynecomastia, an enlargement of the gland tissue in the male breast is the caused by an imbalance of hormones. Certain medical...
Pleural effusion is a buildup of fluid in the chest or on the lungs. There are two types of pleural effusion, trandsudate and...
A brain hemorrhage is a type of stroke caused when an artery bursts in the brain, causing localized bleeding in the surrounding...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity...
Hospice is a service that offers support, resources, and assistance to terminally ill patients and their families. In such late...
Gallbladder Pain (Gall Bladder Pain)
Gallbladder pain (often misspelled "gall bladder") is generally produced by of five problems, biliary colic, cholecystitis,...
Ulcerative Colitis Diet
An ulcerative colitis diet plan can help a person with the disease avoid foods and drinks that trigger flares. There also are...
Swollen Ankles and Swollen Feet
Swollen ankles and swollen feet is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition such as edema, medications, pregnancy,...
Newborn Jaundice (Neonatal Jaundice)
Newborn jaundice or neonatal jaundice is a yellowish discoloration of the mucous membranes, whites of the eyes, and skin of a...
Liver cancer is cancer of the liver cells (hepatocellular carcinoma) or of the ducts in the liver (cholangiocarcinoma). Liver...
Is Hepatitis C Contagious?
Hepatitis C or hep C causes acute and chronic liver disease. Hep C is a form of liver disease with symptoms like: fatigue,...
Is Hepatitis Contagious?
Hepatitis means "inflammation of the liver," and there are several different types of such as A, B, C, D, and E. Some types of...
Is Hepatitis B Contagious?
Hepatitis B is a type of liver infection. Hepatitis B is spread through person-to-person contact or through personal items like...
Bilirubin (Bilirubin Test)
Bilirubin is a waste product of the normal breakdown of red blood cells in the liver. Normal bilirubin levels vary from lab to...
Common Medical Abbreviations List (Acronyms and Definitions)
Doctors, pharmacists, and other health-care professionals use abbreviations, acronyms, and other terminology for instructions...
Lipodystrophy (Acquired, Generalized, Inherited)
Lipodystrophy is a syndrome in which fat deposits accumulate all over the body, or sometimes just portions of it, like just the...
Hepatitis C Cure (Symptoms, Transmission, Treatments, and Cost)
Hepatitis is inflammation of the liver. There are a variety of toxins, diseases, illicit drugs, medications, bacterial and viral...
Why Am I So Bloated?
Bloating is a feeling that your abdomen is distended or larger than normal, but it does not necessarily mean that it is. Gas...
Liver Disease - Symptoms
What were your symptoms associated with liver disease?Post View 52 Comments
Liver Disease - Causes
If known, please discuss the possible cause(s) of your liver disease.Post View 10 Comments
Liver Disease - Treatment
What kinds of treatment, surgery, or medication did you receive for your liver disease?Post View 4 Comments
Liver Disease - Complications
Please describe the complications of liver disease experienced by you, a relative, or friend.Post View 16 Comments
Liver Disease - Experience
Please share your personal experience with liver disease.Post View 10 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- CT Scan (Computerized Tomography)
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scan)
- Liver Biopsy
- Liver Blood Tests (Normal, Low, and High Ranges & Results)
- Triglycerides (Tests and Lowering Your Triglyceride Levels)
- Complete Blood Count (CBC)
- TIPS (Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt)
- Liver Transplant
- Ferritin Blood Test
- CT Scan vs. MRI (Differences between Machines, Costs, Uses)
Medications & Supplements
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- Aldactone (spironolactone)
- Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanic acid, Augmentin XR, Augmentin ES-600, Amoclan
- codeine (for Pain)
- hydrochlorothiazide (Microzide, Hydrodiuril, Ezide, and Hydro-Par have been discontinued)
- methotrexate, Rheumatrex, Trexall
- hydrocodone/acetaminophen, Vicodin, Vicodin ES, Vicodin HP, Anexsia, Lortab, Lorcet, Lorcet Plus, No
- Birth Control Pills (List of Oral Contraceptives and Side Effects)
- nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin, Furadantin, Macrobid)
- tacrolimus (Prograf, Astagraf XL, Envarsus XR)
- OTC Pain Relievers and Fever Reducers
- isoniazid (Discontinued brands: Nydrazid, Laniazid, INH, Rimifon, Stanozide, Hyzyd, Dow-Isoniazid)
- niacin, Niacor, Niaspan, Slo-Niacin, Nicolar (discontinued)
- niacin and lovastatin, Advicor
- Antabuse (disulfiram) for Treating Alcoholism
- kava (piper methysticum) - oral
- ma-huang (Ephedra sp)-oral
- mycophenolate mofetil (CellCept)
- hepatitis A vaccine (Havrix, Vaqta)
- Artemisia absinthium (Wormwood)
- comfrey (Symphytum officinale)-topical
- lactulose (Constulose, Enulose, Generlac, Cholac, Constilac)
- hepatitis b vaccine injection (Engerix-B, Recombivax HB)
- torsemide (Demadex)
- sofosbuvir (Sovaldi)
- boceprevir (Victrelis)
- telaprevir (Incivek)
- Technivie (ombitasvir, paritaprevir and ritonavir)
- Viekira Pak (ombitasvir, paritaprevir, ritonavir, and dasabuvir)
- Zepatier (elbasvir and grazoprevir)
- daclatasvir (Daklinza)
Prevention & Wellness
- Teen Drinking Ups Risk for Liver Diseases Later
- Too Much Sugar Can Harm Livers of Even Healthy Men
- Dialysis Patients Often End Up Back in the Hospital
- Mexican-Americans at Higher Risk for Liver Cancer
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease May Raise Cancer Risk in Kids
- Researchers Grow Functioning Liver Tissue in Mice
- Can Coffee, Tea Protect the Liver From 'Western' Diet?
- Cirrhosis Could Raise Stroke Risk
- More Older Women Hitting the Bottle Hard
- Obesity in Youth Tied to Higher Odds for Liver Cancer in Men
- U.S. Vaccine Guidelines for Flu, HPV Updated
- Rates of Early Deaths Rise for Whites, Drop for Blacks
- Even One High-Fat Meal Can Harm Your Liver, Study Finds
- Newer Hepatitis C Drugs May Pose Health Risks: Study
- The Older the Drinking Age, the Lower the Illness Rates?
- Teen Obesity May Mean Liver Disease Later
- Ocaliva Approved for Rare Liver Disease
- Hepatitis C Patients More Likely to Drink, Study Finds
- Chronic Drinking Plus Binge Drinking Spurs Rapid Liver Damage in Mouse Study
- Pricey Hepatitis C Drugs Denied to Almost Half of Medicaid Patients: Study
- Illnesses, Deaths Spur FDA Warning on Hepatitis C Drugs
- Liver Damage From Hepatitis C More Widespread Than Thought
- Experimental Drug Combo Shows Promise Against Hepatitis C
- Hepatitis C Drugs Will 'Strain Budgets' at Current Prices: Study
- Hispanics May Develop Alcoholic Liver Disease Earlier
- New MRI Test May Help Diagnose Liver Condition in Kids
- Daily Drinking May Raise Risk of Liver Cirrhosis, Study Warns
- Report: Fewer U.S. Hospitalizations for Hepatitis A
- Pricey Hepatitis Drug a Good Bet in U.S. Prisons, Study Says
- If You Do Gain Weight, Polyunsaturated Fats May Prevent Some Damage
- Esbriet, Ofev Approved to Treat Deadly Lung Disease
- Even Decaf Coffee May Help the Liver
- Hepatitis C Could Become Rare Disease in 20 Years: Study
- 1 in 10 Deaths Among Adults Tied to Alcohol: CDC
- Alcohol Fuels Liver Disease in Those With HIV and Hepatitis C
- Study Finds Steroids May Not Be Helpful After Infant Liver Surgery
- Distance From VA Liver Transplant Center May Affect Vets' Survival
- Hepatitis C Patients With HIV May Face Higher Risk of Liver Disease
- Most With Hepatitis C May Soon Find Hope in New Treatments
- James Bond's Dirty Little Spy Secret: He's an Alcoholic
- Kids' Liver Transplant Success Varies by Race, Research Shows
- FDA Approves New Treatment for Hepatitis C Infection
- Acetaminophen and Alcohol a Bad Mix, Study Suggests
- Weight-Loss Surgery Safe for Very Obese Teens, Study Says
- Tylenol and Alcohol a Bad Mix, Study Suggests
- Shellfish Toxin Spreading to Eastern U.S., Report Says
- Alcoholism Treatment Can Help Some Liver Transplant Patients
- Health Tip: Can I Take an NSAID?
- Hepatitis B Vaccination Cuts Deaths From Liver Disease, Cancer: Study
- New Drug Combo Helps Hard-to-Treat Hepatitis C
- Baby Boomers Need Hepatitis C Test, CDC Study Confirms
- More Drugs Show Promise in Fighting Hepatitis C
- Psoriasis, Other Medical Conditions May Be Linked, Study Says
- Tylenol-Induced Liver Failure Presents Own Set of Problems: Study
- Liver Disease May Raise Risk of Heart Problems: Study
- Screen All Baby Boomers for Hepatitis C, Expert Panel Says
- Study Links Coffee to Lower Risk for Rare Liver Disease
- Too Much Drinking, Weight May Harm Liver
- Scarring May Raise Death Risk From Fatty Liver Disease
- Octaplas Approved for Blood-Clotting Disorders
- Cardiac Deaths May Lead to Shortage of Donor Livers
- Which Hospital Patients Need Drugs to Prevent Gastrointestinal Bleeding?
- One Man's Harrowing Battle With Hepatitis C
- 'Boomers' With Hepatitis C Boosting Demand for Liver Transplants
- Aspirin May Reduce Risk of Liver Cancer, Death From Liver Disease
- U.S. Task Force: Baby Boomers Should Be Tested for Hepatitis C
- Muscle-Building Teens May Go to Extremes, Study Finds
- Black Women With Both HIV, Hep C Less Likely to Die From Liver Disease
- Death Rates Drop for 5 Top Causes of Death
- Diets High in Fructose May Harm Liver in Some, Scientists Warn
- Quitting Drinking May Help Alcoholics' Bone Loss
- 'Excellent' Survival Seen for Liver Transplant From Live Donor
- CDC: All Baby Boomers Should Get Screened for Hepatitis C
- Two Antibiotics Linked to Liver Injury in Elderly
- Hepatitis C Treatment May Hamper Kids' Growth
- Vitamin B12 May Boost Hep C Treatment
- Milk Thistle Doesn't Help Hepatitis C
- Hepatitis C Virus Levels Higher in Certain Injection Drug Users
- Surgeons Seek Repeal of Transplant Ban Between HIV-Positive People
- Task Force to Doctors: Obesity Screening for All
- First Stem Cell Vein Implant Helps Young Girl
- Hepatitis B Infection Rates in U.S. Higher Than Thought
- Hepatitis C Causing Liver Damage in Greater Numbers: Study
- U.S. Liver Transplants Declining
- Body Building, Diet Supplements Linked to Liver Damage: Study
- CDC: All Baby Boomers Should Get Tested for Hepatitis C
- 'Fish Pedicure' a Recipe for Bacterial Infection, Researchers Warn
- Childhood Obesity May Raise Odds of Adult Liver Cancer
- It's 'Buyer Beware' When Getting Statins Off the Internet
- Statins May Stave Off Liver Cancer in People With Hepatitis B
- Many U.S. Adults Not Vaccinated for Hepatitis B
- Do Grapes or Alcohol Make Red Wine Good for the Heart?
- New Drug Combo for Hepatitis C Shows Promise
- CDC: Americans Living Longer as Death Rate Drops
- One in Six Americans Binge Drink: CDC
- Researchers Identify Liver Cancer Risk Factors
- Novel Hepatitis C Vaccine Shows Some Early Promise
- CDC Warning: Deadly Listeria in Cantaloupe
- 6 Steps to Improved Nail -- and Overall -- Health
- Breast Cancer Plus Other Health Issues Linked to Worse Outcomes
- Researchers Find Cousin of Hepatitis C Virus in Dogs
- Experts Propose Age-Based Hepatitis C Testing
- FDA Panel Backs 2 Hepatitis C Drugs
- FDA Panel Urges Approval of Hepatitis C Drug
- Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease Rates Rising in U.S.
- Diabetes Risks Go Beyond Heart Attacks, Strokes
- Fatty Liver May Be Linked to Diabetes Risk
- Moderate Alcohol Drinking May Boost Heart Health
- CDC: Binge Drinking 'Huge U.S. Health Problem'
- Obese Children Twice as Likely to Die Young?
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter