Liver cancer is cancer of the liver cells (hepatocellular carcinoma) or of the ducts in the liver (cholangiocarcinoma). Liver cancer often arises due to liver damage, cirrhosis (scarring) caused by alcohol use/abuse, hepatitis B, or hepatitis C. Liver cancer may not cause any symptoms. Liver cancer is diagnosed with blood tests, imaging tests, and a liver biopsy. Treatment for liver cancer may include surgery, ablation, embolization, radiation, chemotherapy, and targeted therapy. Read more: Liver Cancer Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Cancer-Fighting Foods in Pictures: Resveratrol, Green Tea, and More
Experts have praised certain foods for their ability to reduce cancer risks. Learn which foods and eating strategies may help...
Viral Infection Types, Treatment, and Prevention
Watch this slideshow on Viral Infections and learn about types, treatment, and prevention of illnesses caused by viruses....
Top 10 Cancers Quiz
Take this quiz to learn the causes of cancer. Get the facts about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for the world's most...
Related Disease Conditions
Cirrhosis of the liver refers to a disease in which normal liver cells are replaced by scar tissue caused by alcohol and viral...
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases such as: gallstones, high...
Bilirubin (Bilirubin Test)
Bilirubin is a waste product of the normal breakdown of red blood cells in the liver. Normal bilirubin levels vary from lab to...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas,...
Ascites, the accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity is most commonly caused by cirrhosis of the liver. Some of the other...
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
Hepatitis C (HCV, Hep C)
Hepatitis C is an inflammation of the liver due to the hepatitis C virus (HCV), which is usually spread by blood transfusion,...
Liver (Anatomy and Function)
The liver is the largest gland and organ in the body. There are a variety of liver diseases caused by liver inflammation,...
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease occurs due to the accumulation of abnormal amounts of fat within the liver. Fatty liver most...
Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from...
Swollen Ankles and Swollen Feet
Swollen ankles and swollen feet is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition such as edema, medications, pregnancy,...
Hemochromatosis (Iron Overload)
Hereditary hemochromatosis (iron overload) is an inherited disorder in which there is excessive accumulation of iron in the body....
Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B)
The hepatitis B virus (HBV, hep B) is a unique, coated DNA virus belonging to the Hepadnaviridae family of viruses. The course of...
Jaundice (Hyperbilirubinemia in Adults)
Jaundice (hyperbilirubinemia) in adults may be caused by a variety of medical diseases or conditions. Some cases of jaundice can...
Hepatitis (Viral Hepatitis, A, B, C, D, E, G)
Hepatitis is most often viral, due to infection with one of the hepatitis viruses (A, B, C, D, E, F (not confirmed), and G) or...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize serious diseases and health problems like strokes, heart attacks, cancers, reproductive problems in...
Why Am I So Bloated?
Bloating is a feeling that your abdomen is distended or larger than normal, but it does not necessarily mean that it is. Gas...
Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (Symptoms, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency (AATD) is an inherited disorder caused by mutations in the SERPINA1 gene. People with the...
Is Hepatitis B Contagious?
Hepatitis B is a type of liver infection. Hepatitis B is spread through person-to-person contact or through personal items like...
Tumor grade is a system used to classify cancer cells in how likely the tumor is to grow, and how abnormal they look under a...
Scar formation is a natural part of the healing process after injury. The depth and size of the wound incision and the location...
Is Hepatitis C Contagious?
Hepatitis C or hep C causes acute and chronic liver disease. Hep C is a form of liver disease with symptoms like: fatigue,...
Is Hepatitis Contagious?
Hepatitis means "inflammation of the liver," and there are several different types of such as A, B, C, D, and E. Some types of...
Hepatitis C Cure (Symptoms, Transmission, Treatments, and Cost)
Hepatitis is inflammation of the liver. There are a variety of toxins, diseases, illicit drugs, medications, bacterial and viral...
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis Treatment (PBC)
Primary biliary sclerosis (PBC) is thought to be an autoimmune disorder that involves the deterioration of the liver's small bile...
Liver Cancer - Symptoms
Did you have symptoms associated with your liver cancer?Post View 8 Comments
Liver Cancer - Diagnosis
How was your liver cancer diagnosed?Post View 72 Comments
Liver Cancer - Describe Your Experience
Please describe your experience with liver cancer.Post View 80 Comments
Liver Cancer - Liver Disease
Did you have liver disease before developing liver cancer?Post View 6 Comments
Liver Cancer - Treatment
What kinds of treatment, including surgery, have been used for liver cancer in you or a relative?Post View 2 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Can Aspirin Stop Liver Cancer in Hepatitis B Patients?
- Mexican-Americans at Higher Risk for Liver Cancer
- Mavyret Approved for Hepatitis C
- Can Coffee, Tea Protect the Liver From 'Western' Diet?
- U.S. Liver Cancer Deaths Have Doubled Since 1980s: Study
- Stivarga Approved for Liver Cancer
- Obesity in Youth Tied to Higher Odds for Liver Cancer in Men
- Baby Boomers Get an 'F' for Hep C Testing
- Cancer Isn't 'One Size Fits All' for Hispanics
- More Evidence Linking Obesity to Liver Cancer
- Aspirin May Help Protect Against Bile Duct Cancer: Study
- Generic Hepatitis C Drugs as Effective as Pricey Brand Names: Study
- Hepatitis C-Infected Liver Transplants May Work Well for Those With the Virus
- Hepatitis C Therapy May Reduce Need for Liver Transplants
- Gene Variant May Explain Higher Rates of Some Cancers in Black People
- U.S. Cancer Death Rate Continues to Fall
- Organ Recipients at Raised Risk of Cancer Death, Study Finds
- Pricey Hepatitis C Drugs Denied to Almost Half of Medicaid Patients: Study
- Illnesses, Deaths Spur FDA Warning on Hepatitis C Drugs
- Potential Liver Recipients May Have New Option
- Report Shows Progress in America's War on Cancer
- 3 Drinks Per Day May Raise Liver Cancer Risk, But Coffee Lowers It
- More Americans Surviving Cancer Today Than 20 Years Ago
- Device Aims to Deliver Cancer-Killing Drugs Directly to Pancreas
- Falling Cancer Death Rate Means 1.5 Million Lives Saved Over 20 Years
- Pricey Hepatitis Drug a Good Bet in U.S. Prisons, Study Says
- Hepatitis C Combo Pill May Cure Those Who Can Afford It
- Liver Cancer Drug Fails to Live Up to Early Promise
- Screening May Help Boost Liver Cancer Survival Rates
- Study Links Coffee to Lower Liver Cancer Risk
- Type 2 Diabetes Might Raise Risk of Liver Cancer
- Study: Coffee Might Lower Risk of Liver Cancer
- Scientists ID Gene Linked to Aggressive Liver Cancer
- Aspirin May Reduce Risk of Liver Cancer, Death From Liver Disease
- Antiviral Therapy May Cut Recurrence of Hepatitis B-Linked Liver Cancer
- Antiviral Therapy for Hepatitis C May Thwart Liver Cancer
- Childhood Obesity May Raise Odds of Adult Liver Cancer
- Statins May Stave Off Liver Cancer in People With Hepatitis B
- Researchers Identify Liver Cancer Risk Factors
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Cancer Report Newsletter