Liver cancer is cancer of the liver cells (hepatocellular carcinoma) or of the ducts in the liver (cholangiocarcinoma). Liver cancer often arises due to liver damage, cirrhosis (scarring) caused by alcohol use/abuse, hepatitis B, or hepatitis C. Liver cancer may not cause any symptoms. Liver cancer is diagnosed with blood tests, imaging tests, and a liver biopsy. Treatment for liver cancer may include surgery, ablation, embolization, radiation, chemotherapy, and targeted therapy. Read more: Liver Cancer Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Top 10 Cancers Quiz
Take this quiz to learn the causes of cancer. Get the facts about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for the world's most...
Cancer-Fighting Foods in Pictures: Resveratrol, Green Tea, and More
Experts have praised certain foods for their ability to reduce cancer risks. Learn which foods and eating strategies may help...
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Viral Infection Types, Treatment, and Prevention
Watch this slideshow on Viral Infections and learn about types, treatment, and prevention of illnesses caused by viruses....
Related Disease Conditions
Liver (Anatomy and Function)
The liver is the largest gland and organ in the body. There are a variety of liver diseases caused by liver inflammation,...
Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (Symptoms, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency (AATD) is an inherited disorder caused by mutations in the SERPINA1 gene. People with the...
Cirrhosis of the liver refers to a disease in which normal liver cells are replaced by scar tissue caused by alcohol and viral...
Hemochromatosis (Iron Overload)
Hereditary hemochromatosis (iron overload) is an inherited disorder in which there is excessive accumulation of iron in the body....
Hepatitis (Viral Hepatitis, A, B, C, D, E, G)
Hepatitis is most often viral, due to infection with one of the hepatitis viruses (A, B, C, D, E, F (not confirmed), and G) or...
Hepatitis C (HCV, Hep C)
Hepatitis C is an inflammation of the liver due to the hepatitis C virus (HCV), which is usually spread by blood transfusion,...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Jaundice (Hyperbilirubinemia in Adults)
Jaundice (hyperbilirubinemia) in adults may be caused by a variety of medical diseases or conditions. Some cases of jaundice can...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas,...
Fatty Liver (NASH)
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease or NASH occurs due to the accumulation of abnormal amounts of fat within the liver. Fatty liver...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B)
The hepatitis B virus (HBV, hep B) is a unique, coated DNA virus belonging to the Hepadnaviridae family of viruses. The course of...
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis Treatment (PBC)
Primary biliary sclerosis (PBC) is thought to be an autoimmune disorder that involves the deterioration of the liver's small bile...
Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Scar formation is a natural part of the healing process after injury. The depth and size of the wound incision and the location...
Liver Cancer (Hepatocellular Cancer) Prevention
Avoiding certain risk factors (such as hepatitis B and C, cirrhosis, and aflatoxin) can lower one's risk of developing liver...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Ascites, the accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity is most commonly caused by cirrhosis of the liver. Some of the other...
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases such as: gallstones, high...
Tumor grade is a system used to classify cancer cells in how likely the tumor is to grow and how abnormal they look under a...
Swollen Ankles and Swollen Feet
Swollen ankles and swollen feet is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition such as edema, medications, pregnancy,...
Is Hepatitis C Contagious?
Hepatitis C or hep C causes acute and chronic liver disease. Hep C is a form of liver disease with symptoms like: fatigue,...
Is Hepatitis Contagious?
Hepatitis means "inflammation of the liver," and there are several different types of such as A, B, C, D, and E. Some types of...
Is Hepatitis B Contagious?
Hepatitis B is a type of liver infection. Hepatitis B is spread through person-to-person contact or through personal items like...
Bilirubin (Bilirubin Test)
Bilirubin is a waste product of the normal breakdown of red blood cells in the liver. Normal bilirubin levels vary from lab to...
Hepatitis C Cure (Symptoms, Transmission, Treatments, and Cost)
Hepatitis is inflammation of the liver. There are a variety of toxins, diseases, illicit drugs, medications, bacterial and viral...
Why Am I So Bloated and Gassy?
Bloating is a feeling that your abdomen is distended or larger than normal, but it does not necessarily mean that it is. Gas...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Does Aspirin Help Prevent Liver Cancer?
- Type 2 Diabetes Tied to Raised Risk of Tumors, Cancer Deaths
- Cancer Advances Rely on U.S. Funding: Report
- Clinical Trials Balance Out Urban, Rural Cancer Survival Rates
- U.S. Deaths From Liver Disease Rising Rapidly
- Liver Cancer a Big Threat to U.S., Other Developed Nations
- Health Tip: Heavy Alcohol Use Increases Cancer Risk
- Red and Processed Meats Linked to Liver Woes
- Can Aspirin Stop Liver Cancer in Hepatitis B Patients?
- Mexican-Americans at Higher Risk for Liver Cancer
- Mavyret Approved for Hepatitis C
- Can Coffee, Tea Protect the Liver From 'Western' Diet?
- U.S. Liver Cancer Deaths Have Doubled Since 1980s: Study
- Stivarga Approved for Liver Cancer
- Obesity in Youth Tied to Higher Odds for Liver Cancer in Men
- Baby Boomers Get an 'F' for Hep C Testing
- Cancer Isn't 'One Size Fits All' for Hispanics
- More Evidence Linking Obesity to Liver Cancer
- Aspirin May Help Protect Against Bile Duct Cancer: Study
- Generic Hepatitis C Drugs as Effective as Pricey Brand Names: Study
- Hepatitis C-Infected Liver Transplants May Work Well for Those With the Virus
- Hepatitis C Therapy May Reduce Need for Liver Transplants
- Gene Variant May Explain Higher Rates of Some Cancers in Black People
- U.S. Cancer Death Rate Continues to Fall
- Organ Recipients at Raised Risk of Cancer Death, Study Finds
- Pricey Hepatitis C Drugs Denied to Almost Half of Medicaid Patients: Study
- Illnesses, Deaths Spur FDA Warning on Hepatitis C Drugs
- Potential Liver Recipients May Have New Option
- Report Shows Progress in America's War on Cancer
- 3 Drinks Per Day May Raise Liver Cancer Risk, But Coffee Lowers It
- More Americans Surviving Cancer Today Than 20 Years Ago
- Device Aims to Deliver Cancer-Killing Drugs Directly to Pancreas
- Falling Cancer Death Rate Means 1.5 Million Lives Saved Over 20 Years
- Pricey Hepatitis Drug a Good Bet in U.S. Prisons, Study Says
- Hepatitis C Combo Pill May Cure Those Who Can Afford It
- Liver Cancer Drug Fails to Live Up to Early Promise
- Screening May Help Boost Liver Cancer Survival Rates
- Study Links Coffee to Lower Liver Cancer Risk
- Type 2 Diabetes Might Raise Risk of Liver Cancer
- Study: Coffee Might Lower Risk of Liver Cancer
- Scientists ID Gene Linked to Aggressive Liver Cancer
- Aspirin May Reduce Risk of Liver Cancer, Death From Liver Disease
- Antiviral Therapy May Cut Recurrence of Hepatitis B-Linked Liver Cancer
- Antiviral Therapy for Hepatitis C May Thwart Liver Cancer
- Childhood Obesity May Raise Odds of Adult Liver Cancer
- Statins May Stave Off Liver Cancer in People With Hepatitis B
- Researchers Identify Liver Cancer Risk Factors