Patient Comments: Liver - Hepatitis

What type of hepatitis do you have? What were your symptoms? Do you know how you contracted it and what treatments have you undergone? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Skyla, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

In my 20s I had hepatitis, not sure how I contracted it. My eyes, turned yellow, I went to the doctor who confirmed it, and sent me home! They didn't know as much about it back then (hepatitis B and hepatitis C are spread by contact with infected body fluids) as the past 10 years, when medicine has greatly improved. Now some 30 years later, never any signs of it, or sickness, etc., it showed up in my blood work. I was shocked to say the least! I was treated with interferon (worse than the hepatitis), which didn't help, then my liver doctor gave me Harvoni, a 12 week treatment plan (thank goodness), and now I am hepatitis C free as of October 2015. I am thankful to my doctor and his team for all the support and caring. There is hope, do your homework, many people are walking around with hepatitis and don't even know it. Just ask your doctor for a simple blood test! Harvoni is a curing drug as I am a witness.

Comment from: Martin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

I had no symptoms, I discovered that I had hepatitis C after an insurance examination in 1996. I went through 2 or 3 interferon and ribavirin treatments. Very tough treatments, I had flu like symptoms and it also caused severe depression and hair loss. At one point my gastroenterologist said there was nothing more that he could do. I went to my family doctor in January this year and she encouraged me to go back to my gastroenterologist (I had stopped going to see him for 3 years). He put me on Harvoni, a 12 week course. I was checked after 1 month and I cleared. It has been 2 months now and time to be checked again. If it is not detectable at this point then I am considered cured; after 21 years.

Comment from: Fletch, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

I got hepatitis C virus from a blood transfusion.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter