Liposuction is a surgical procedure that removes excess fat that is difficult to get rid of with diet and exercise. Liposuction does not prevent weight regain. Liposuction has a good safety record; risks of the procedure include infection and skin discoloration. Read more: Liposuction Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Plastic Surgery: Before and After Photos of Cosmetic Surgeries
Thinking about getting plastic surgery? Check out before and after pictures of popular plastic surgery procedures, including:...
Skin and Makeup Quiz: Test Your Skin and Makeup IQ
Are you doing right by your skin? Take the Skin and Makeup Quiz to learn how to make the most of your beauty regimen.
Cellulite Facts and Treatment Options
Don't confuse cellulite with loose skin or stretch marks, get the facts about cellulite. Learn to identify cellulite and discover...
Related Disease Conditions
Obesity and Overweight
Get the facts on obesity and being overweight, including the health risks, causes, reviews of weight-loss diet plans, BMI chart, symptoms, causes, surgical and nonsurgical treatments, and medications.
Lymphedema is a condition in which one or more extremities become swollen as the result of an impaired flow of the lymphatic system. There are two types of lymphedema: primary and secondary. Filariasis is the most common cause of lymphedema worldwide. In the U.S., breast cancer surgery is the most common cause. Symptoms include swelling of one or more limbs, cracked and thickening skin, and secondary bacterial or fungal infections of the skin. There is no cure for lymphedema.
Fat deposits that distort connective tissues under the skin, resulting in a dimpled appearance of the skin, cause cellulite. Gender, skin thickness, heredity, and the amount and distribution of body fat all influence the presence and visibility of cellulite.
Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is an illness where a person is overly preoccupied with some minor or imaginary flaw. People with BDD tend to have cosmetic surgery. BDD can be treated with SSRIs and cognitive behavioral therapy.
Local ResourcesFind a local Plastic Surgeon in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Laser Resurfacing
- Questions To Ask Before Surgery
- Breast Augmentation and Implants
- Plastic Surgery (Cosmetic Surgery)
- Neck Lift Cosmetic Surgery
- Permanent Makeup (Micropigmentation)
- How Is an External Ultrasound-Assisted Liposuction Performed?
- Lip Augmentation
- What Is the Most Common Liposuction Technique?
- Lipoplasty (Ultrasonic Assisted)
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Weight-Loss Surgery Drops Heart Disease, Death Risk for Diabetics
- Lonely Baby Boomers Driving Surge in Plastic Surgery
- Breast Implants Top List of Plastic Surgeries
- Weight-Loss Surgeries Less Common in States With High Obesity Rates
- 'Fat-Freeze' Complication May Be More Common Than Thought
- Looking Good! Plastic Surgery for Men Surges
- Seeking Cheaper Plastic Surgery Abroad? Buyer Beware
- Liposuction May Ease Limb Swelling in Cancer Patients
- Looking for a Plastic Surgeon on Instagram? Beware
- Americans Are Spending Billions Nipping and Tucking
- With Nips, Tucks and Fat Transplants, Americans are Reshaping Their Bodies
- CDC Warns of Dangers of Plastic Surgery in Dominican Republic
- More Americans Opting for Butt Implants, Lifts
- With Liposuction, Weight Should Guide Fat Removal Limits: Study
- Beware Unregulated Stem Cell Treatments, Experts Warn
- 'Fat Grafting' Widely Used During Facelift Surgery
- Obesity Tied to Risk of Complications After Plastic Surgery
- New Drug Kybella Zaps Double Chin: FAQ
- Rear End Takes a Front Seat in Plastic Surgery Offices
- Steep Drops in Weight May Raise Risks After Body-Contour Surgeries
- Buttocks-Enhancing Procedures Please Patients, Small Study Finds
- Breast Cancer Patients Have Unrelated Plastic Surgery After Reconstruction
- Stem Cells From Fat Might Improve Plastic Surgery
- Cosmetic Procedures for Arms on the Rise, Plastic Surgeons Say
- Laser Liposuction May Zap Fat Without Skin Sag: Study
- As Economy Rebounds, More Folks Try Turning Back Hands of Time
- Surgery Checklists Help OR Teams in a Crisis, Study Finds
- Blood Vessels Made From Liposuction Fat
- Happy Feet: Plastic Surgery for Best Foot Forward
- Liposuction: Why You Still Have to Work Out After It
- Scientists Develop New Method for Growing Bone
- Liposuction Might Have 'Boomerang' Effect
- 'Chinplants' Fastest Growing Plastic Surgery Trend
- The Most Common Cosmetic Surgery in 2011 Was ...
- Fat Injections: Safe for Breast Reconstruction After Cancer?
- Study: Fat May Return After Liposuction
- India, China Among Plastic Surgery Hot Spots
- Small Study Shows Lipodissolve Works
- Debate on Laser Liposuction to Remove Fat
- Liposuctioned Fat Can Be Used for Breast Augmentation