Leukemia is actually a group of different cancers of the blood cells. Leukemias can be acute or chronic, and people with chronic leukemias may not notice any symptoms before the condition is diagnosed with a blood test. Acute leukemias are more likely to cause symptoms. Symptoms of all forms of leukemia are related to the proliferation of abnormal blood cells and replacement of the bone marrow by the cancerous cells.
Symptoms and signs of leukemia include
Other potential symptoms and signs include
Sometimes, there is swelling of the spleen or liver, causing pain or swelling in the abdomen. Frequent infections are another common sign of leukemia. If the brain is affected, there may be nausea and vomiting, confusion, headaches, seizures, or problems with muscle control.
Causes of leukemia
The exact cause of leukemia is not known, but both genetics and environmental factors are believed to play a role. Leukemia cells have acquired DNA mutations that allow them to grow abnormally and lose functions of typical white blood cells. Certain factors, such as exposure to radiation, are known to increase the risk of developing leukemia.
Other leukemia symptoms and signs
- Bleeding Gums
- Bone Pain
- Easy Bruising
- Enlarged Liver
- Enlarged Spleen
- Frequent Infections
- Joint Pain
- Loss of Appetite
- Loss of Muscle Control
- Night Sweats
- Shortness of Breath
- Swollen Lymph Nodes
- Weight Loss
Main Article on Leukemia Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Leukemia Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
What do you know about leukemia? Did you know there are different types? What are the symptoms? Take the Leukemia Quiz and test...
Top 10 Cancers Quiz
Take this quiz to learn the causes of cancer. Get the facts about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for the world's most...
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Examples of Medications for Leukemia Symptoms and Signs
- alemtuzumab (Campath)
- cladribine - injection, Leustatin
- cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan)
- cytarabine - injection, Cytosar-U, Tarabine PFS
- dasatinib, Sprycel
- daunorubicin - injection, Cerubidine
- dexamethasone (Decadron, DexPak)
- dexamethasone injection (Baycadron, Decadron [Discontinued], Dexamethasone Intensol)
- doxorubicin - injection, Adriamycin, Rubex
- etoposide - injection, Toposar, Vepesid
- etoposide - oral, Vepesid
- fludarabine - injection, Fludara
- hydroxyurea (Hydrea, Droxia)
- imatinib (Gleevec)
- methotrexate (Rheumatrex, Trexall)
- nilotinib (Tasigna)
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- rituximab (Rituxan)
- vincristine - injection, Oncovin
- Vyxeos (daunorubicin and cytarabine)
American Cancer Society. "Acute Myeloid Leukemia (MLL)." <http://www.cancer.org/cancer/leukemia-acutemyeloidaml/>.
American Cancer Society. "Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (CML)." <http://www.cancer.org/cancer/leukemia-chronicmyeloidcml/>.