Patient Comments: Leukemia - Symptoms

What were your leukemia symptoms and signs?

Comment from: Blessed, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I was diagnosed at age 44 with chronic myeloid leukemia (CML). I felt perfectly normal and had only one symptom. A huge bruise appeared on my arm. This led to tests which confirmed CML. Treatment began with chemotherapy. Gleevec (imatinib) was approved by the FDA just a couple months after my diagnosis. I have taken this medication for 16 years and consider myself fortunate. The medication is extremely expensive and I would not be able to afford it without insurance. The last time I checked it retailed for about 16 to 17,000 per month.

Comment from: KathyE, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 13

I recently lost my 70 year old husband to acute myeloid leukemia (AML). It was only 24 days from diagnosis to his passing. He had neck pain, back pain and was tired a lot. His temperature went up to 103 and that is when we took him to the emergency room. He had a bad bacterial infection. It was treated and then he received chemotherapy. After the chemotherapy treatment a growth developed at the base of his cerebellum. He was too weak for any type of surgery so they treated it with antibiotics, hoping it was another bacterial infection. Unfortunately the tumor kept growing and we had to let him pass. Even if he had gotten rid of the growth, his prognosis wasn't good because of his age. Miss him so much but thankful he didn't have to suffer long.

Comment from: Steve, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 23

My 30 year old fiance lost her yearlong battle with acute myeloid leukemia (AML) in March. Here were her symptoms, the ones that triggered her to get a blood test, in order as they came. Shoulder and neck pain, bumps on elbow, chronic fatigue, swollen painful gums, and bruising.

Comment from: Neenie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

My leukemia signs were extreme fatigue, pain in my shoulders and very bad bruising. I was 52 when diagnosed and 53 when I had my bone marrow transplant. Now, at almost 55, I am pretty much back to normal except I still have fatigue.

Comment from: baylee 123, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 30

In my family we have had a line of family members that have died of different cancers. I'm starting to worry that I might have leukemia because I have headaches constantly on a daily basis. I also have night sweats every night and getting so tired I have tried going to bed at 8 and waking up at 8. I am still so tired and during the day I would get a dull ache in my bones, or I would get a sharp stab in my joints. And I have a fuzzy pain in the back of my neck when looking down. My back is always sore; like always! I can't bend over to pick something up and I am 12.I get really sick, like heaps of ear, chest, skin, and throat infections all the time. Also every day I feel like I am going to throw up. I am starting to get bruised quite easily. I am always feeling I have a cold and my glands are always swollen. I have had phlegm at the back of my throat for years now. And I have a very uncomfortable pain in my liver and my tummy looks like it is swollen. My gums have been bleeding too and I have been really weak. I tell my parents but they don't think much of it. I am wondering if I should tell them I should go to the doctors.

Leukemia - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your leukemia?
Leukemia - Types Question: What type of leukemia were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with?