Leukemia is a type of cancer of the blood cells in which the growth and development of the blood cells are abnormal. Strictly speaking, leukemia should refer only to cancer of the white blood cells (the leukocytes) but in practice it can apply to malignancy of any cellular element in the blood or bone marrow, as in red cell leukemia (erythroleukemia). Read more: Leukemia Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Signs of Cancer in Women: Symptoms You Can't Ignore
Cancer symptoms can surprise women if they don't know what to watch out for. 15 cancer symptoms women ignore such as weight loss,...
Viral Infection Types, Treatment, and Prevention
Watch this slideshow on Viral Infections and learn about types, treatment, and prevention of illnesses caused by viruses....
Top 10 Cancers Quiz
Take this quiz to learn the causes of cancer. Get the facts about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for the world's most...
Leukemia Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
What do you know about leukemia? Did you know there are different types? What are the symptoms? Take the Leukemia Quiz and test...
Signs of Cancer in Men: Could it Be Cancer?
See pictures of which 15 cancer symptoms men ignore such as skin changes, difficulty swallowing, rapid weight loss, a breast...
Related Disease Conditions
Swollen Lymph Nodes (Causes, Locations, Symptoms, Treatments)
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Lupus (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or SLE)
Systemic lupus erythematosus is a condition characterized by chronic inflammation of body tissues caused by autoimmune disease....
Night Sweats (Causes, Remedies, and Treatments in Women and Men)
Night sweats are severe hot flashes that occur at night and result in a drenching sweat. The causes of night sweats in most...
Enlarged Spleen (Splenomegaly)
An enlarged spleen or splenomegaly is generally caused by other diseases or conditions such as infections, cancers, blood...
Eye floaters are deposits or condensation that forms in the eye's vitreous humor. These deposits cast shadows on the retina, and...
Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is cancer of the lymphatic system, a vital part of the body's immune system. Symptoms and signs include...
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count)
Thrombocytopenia (low platelet count) refers to a decreased number of platelets in the blood. Symptoms of thrombocytopenia...
Pericarditis is the inflammation of the pericardial sac that surrounds the heart. The causes of pericarditis include injury from...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth)
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) refers to a condition in which abnormally large numbers of bacteria (at least...
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition in which irritation of the wrist's median nerve causes tingling and numbness of the thumb,...
Get the facts on Down syndrome, a genetic disorder caused by an additional set of chromosomes in a developing fetus. Down...
Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV)
The Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) is a common cause of mononucleosis (viral pharyngitis). Symptoms and signs of an EBV infection...
Stem cells are referred to as undifferentiated cells because they have not yet committed to a developmental path to form specific...
Cancer Risk Factors
Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase...
Eosinophilic Fasciitis (Shulman's Syndrome)
Eosinophilic fasciitis is a skin disease that causes thickening and inflammation of the skin and fascia. Symptoms include...
Hodgkin's disease is a cancer of the lymphatic system with symptoms that include unexplained, recurring fevers, unexplained...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Graft Versus Host Disease (GVHD)
Graft versus host disease (GVHD) is a condition that happens when immune cells from transplanted donor tissue attack the...
Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL)
Childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia is the most common type of cancer in children. Symptoms and signs include fever, easy...
Cancer fatigue is a lack of energy that is caused by cancer or cancer treatment, including chemotherapy, radiation, biological...
Certain behavioral, lifestyle, and environmental factors contribute to cancer. Cancer prevention involves modifying these factors...
Local ResourcesFind a local Oncologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Distended Stomach (Abdominal Distention)
- Joint Pain
- Weight Loss
- Loss of Appetite
- Fatigue, Tiredness, and Lethargy
- Swollen Lymph Nodes (Lymphadenopathy)
- Excessive Sweating (Hyperhidrosis)
- Pale Skin
- Vaginal Bleeding
- Proteinuria (Protein in the Urine)
- Bleeding Gums
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Advance Medical Directives
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Leukemia FAQs
- Cancer FAQs
- What Is Bone Cancer?
- Weight Gain, Obesity & Cancer Risk
- Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML)
- Evolution of Treatment for a Rare Type of Leukemia
- Leukemia in the Family
- Coping with a Bad Disease - Community Counts
- Gleevec and Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
- Leukemia, A Trip
- Stem Cells - What Are They?
Medications & Supplements
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- Corticosteroids (Systemic, Oral and Injectable)
- tretinoin - oral, Vesanoid
- valacyclovir - oral, Valtrex
- interferon alfa(con) - injection, Alferon N, Infergen, Intron A,
- lamivudine solution - oral, Epivir
- Monoclonal Antibodies
- hydroxyurea (Hydrea, Droxia)
- cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan)
- prednisolone (Flo-Pred, Pediapred, Orapred, Orapred ODT)
- tetanus - toxoid injection (Tetanus Toxoid Absorbed)
- hepatitis b vaccine injection (Engerix-B, Recombivax HB)
- dexamethasone injection (Baycadron, Decadron [Discontinued], Dexamethasone Intensol)
- mitoxantrone (Novantrone)
- mercaptopurine - oral, Purinethol
- imatinib, Gleevec
- nilotinib, Tasigna
- cladribine - injection, Leustatin
- arsenic trioxide - injection, Trisenox
- alemtuzumab (Campath)
- dasatinib, Sprycel
- daunorubicin - injection, Cerubidine
- fludarabine - injection, Fludara
- asparaginase - injection, Elspar
- busulfan - oral, Myleran
- rasburicase - injection, Elitek
- thioguanine - oral
- busulfan - injection, Busulfex
- pegaspargase - injection, Oncaspar
- idarubicin - injection, Idamycin
- teniposide - injection, Vumon
- Intron A
- Tetanus Toxoid Adsorbed
- Intron A Rebetol
Prevention & Wellness
- Adding Drug to Standard Care May Prolong Lymphoma Survival
- First Gene Therapy Approved in U.S.
- New Treatment Approved for Deadly Blood Cancer
- New Treatment Approved for Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Childhood Cancer Radiation May Cause Unwanted Gene Mutation in Some
- Idhifa Approved for Some With Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- FDA Panel OKs What May Soon Be First Gene Therapy Approved in U.S.
- Could Certain Hair Dyes, Relaxers Raise Breast Cancer Risk?
- Publicly Funded Cancer Trials Gained Americans 3 Million More Years
- Gene-Based Therapy May Thwart a Tough Blood Cancer
- Can Drug Company Perks Sway Cancer Docs' Prescriptions?
- Childhood Cancer Survivors Now Living Healthier Lives
- Cancer Drug Helps Some Kids With Rare Type of Leukemia
- Could Cancer Drug Gleevec Help With Severe Asthma?
- Rydapt Approved for Adults With Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Second Cancers Deadlier for Younger People: Study
- Survival Continues to Improve for Most Cancers
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Survivors Face Risk of Second Cancer: Study
- Gleevec Keeps a Leukemia in Check for More Than a Decade: Study
- Stem Cell Transplants May Help Some With Multiple Sclerosis
- Gene Therapy Helps 2 Babies Fight Type of Leukemia
- Mental Health May Affect Chances Against Cancer
- Ovarian Cancer Drug Given Fast-Track Approval
- Therapeutic Vaccine Shows 'Game-Changing' Promise Against a Leukemia
- Worldwide Cancer Rates Up More Than One-Third in Past Decade: Report
- It's Never Too Late to Stop Smoking
- Fewer in U.S. Smoke, But Smoking's Death Toll Continues
- Experimental Immune Cell Rx Shows Promise for Leukemia
- Childhood Cancer Death Rates Continue to Fall: CDC
- For Teens With Leukemia, Pregnancy Tests Often Neglected
- Cord-Blood Transplants Show Promise in Leukemia Treatment
- Radiologists Don't Face Higher Risk of Radiation-Related Death: Study
- Cancer Drug Shows Early Promise for Parkinson's Disease
- New Drug Shows Promise for Rare Blood Cancers
- Biden Issues Challenge to Speed Cancer Discoveries
- Drug Protects Lung Function in Kids With Sickle Cell: Study
- Exercise May Cut Risk of 13 Cancers, Study Suggests
- Radon in the Home May Be Linked to Blood Cancers in Women
- Certain Cancers Seem Less Likely for Kids of Hispanic Moms Born Outside U.S.
- Venclexta Approved for Specific Genetic Blood Cancer
- Women Who Survive Childhood Cancer Stand Good Chance of Having Kids: Study
- Generic Gleevec Will Likely Cut Millions in Health Costs
- Could IVF Raise Children's Odds for Blood Cancer?
- Blood Donors Needed After East Coast Storm: Red Cross
- Simple Blood Test May Predict a Blood Cancer's Return
- Fewer Childhood Cancer Survivors Dying From 'Late' Effects
- Antibody May Lower Rejection Rates After Stem Cell Transplant in Leukemia Patients
- Researchers Focus on Risk Factors for Leukemia After Breast Cancer Treatment
- Childhood Cancer Tied to Raised Risk for Other Ills in Adult Life
- Gene Editing Reverses Baby's Leukemia
- Young Cancer Survivors Often Develop New Malignancies
- Home Pesticide Use Tied to Child Cancer Risk
- Social Factors Affect Leukemia Survival
- She Had Leukemia 7,000 Years Ago
- Immune Cell Therapy Shows Promise Against Deadly Blood Cancer
- Could Common Diabetes Drugs Help Fight Leukemia?
- Young Adult Cancer Survivors More Likely to Be Hospitalized
- No Change in Number of 'Living Wills' by U.S. Cancer Patients: Study
- Another Genetic Error Linked to Childhood Leukemia
- Anti-Vaccine Trend Has Parents Shunning Newborns' Vitamin Shot
- Breast-feeding May Lower Risk of Childhood Leukemia: Study
- 2 Drugs Show Promise Against Blood Cancers
- Improved Therapies Have Extended Life Spans of Childhood Cancer Survivors
- Kids Born to Older Dads May Face Risk of Blood Cancers
- Contagious Leukemia Killing East Coast Clams
- More Americans Survive Childhood Cancers, But Health Problems Persist
- First Biosimilar Drug Approved
- Gene Mutations Tied to Leukemia Rise With Age, Study Finds
- Obama Lifts Curtain on 'Precision Medicine' Plan
- Breast Cancer Chemo Tied to Small But Significant Leukemia Risk
- Screening Test Approved for Viruses That Cause Blood Cancer
- Blincyto Approved for Rare Leukemia
- Immunotherapy Brings New Hope to Cancer Fight
- Obese Children With Leukemia Fared Worse in Study
- Mutations Linked to Blood Cancers Rise With Age, Study Shows
- Immune Therapy Induces Remission for Many With a Tough-to-Treat Blood Cancer
- Gene Therapy Shows Potential for 'Bubble Boy' Disease
- Hospital Admission Day Tied to Outcomes for Children With Leukemia
- FDA Expands Use of Imbruvica for Form of Leukemia
- Zydelig Approved for Three Types of Blood Cancer
- Many Childhood Leukemia Survivors Aren't Taking 'Maintenance' Meds: Study
- Experimental Drug May Boost Leukemia Survival, Without Chemo
- Experimental Therapy Shows Promise Against Type of Adult Leukemia
- Gene Variations Leave Infants at Risk of Leukemia, Study Suggests
- Imbruvica Approval Expanded to Include Chronic Leukemia
- New Drug Combo Might Help Older, Sicker Patients With Leukemia
- FDA Rejects MS Drug Lemtrada
- Gene Therapy Shows Promise Against Leukemia, Other Blood Cancers
- Gene Therapy Shows Promise Against Leukemia, Other Blood Cancers
- Gazyva Approved for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- A Father and Daughter's Race to Beat Leukemia
- Boys Have Higher Death Rates From Many Causes, Study Shows
- Assisted Conception Not Linked to Cancer Risk in Kids, Studies Say
- Even With Equal Care, Racial Disparity Persists in Blood Cancer, Study Finds
- Cutting Unneeded CT Scans in Kids Could Lower Future Cancer Risk
- U.S. Cancer Patients Suffering From Drug Shortages
- Gene Discovery May Offer Breakthrough for Rare Leukemia
- Water Pipe No Safer Than Cigarettes: Study
- Soaring Prices Keep Leukemia Drugs From Patients, Experts Say
- New Strategy Helps Young Lymphoma Patients Avoid Radiation Treatment
- Immune Therapy Shows Early Promise for Advanced Leukemia
- Gene Mutations Appear Key to Childhood Leukemia Risk, Study Says
- Leukemia Patients Get Treatment Boost From Donors' Immune Cells
- Cancer Chemotherapy Tied to Slight Rise in Risk for Leukemia
- Report Calls for Better U.S. Efforts to Fight Counterfeit Drugs
- Iclusig Approved for Rare Leukemias
- Blood Cancer Patients May Benefit From New Transplant Technique
- Colorful Fruits, Vegetables May Be Key to Cancer-Fighting Diet
- Leukemia Drug Is Highly Effective MS Treatment
- Synribo Approved to Treat Rare Leukemia
- Study Sees Link Between Prolonged Formula Feeding, Leukemia Risk
- Melanoma Odds Doubled for Transplant, Lymphoma Patients: Study
- 'Half-Match' Marrow Transplants Help Some With Sickle Cell
- Cancer Portrayed Too Grimly in Movies, Study Suggests
- New Study Debunks Virus Theory for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Wins in War on Cancer Highlighted in New Report
- Young Children Treated for Cancer May Be at Risk for PTSD: Study
- New Leukemia Drug Bosulif Approved for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia
- Bosulif Approved for Rare Leukemia
- Marqibo Approved for Rare Leukemia
- Man Cured of AIDS Virus: First U.S. News Conference
- Ahead of AIDS Conference, New Reasons for Hope
- HIV Drug May Prevent Bone Marrow Transplant Complication
- Myelodysplastic Syndrome Linked to Abnormal Stem Cells
- CT Scans, MRIs Becoming More Common
- TV Anchor Robin Roberts Has Rare Bone Marrow Disorder
- Childhood CT Scans Raise Cancer Risk
- Leukemia Deadlier for Teens, Young Adults Than Younger Kids: Study
- Researchers Rejuvenate Blood-Forming Stem Cells in Mice
- Study: Gene Therapy for HIV Safe, But Effectiveness Still Unclear
- Lower-Dose Radioiodine Effective Against Thyroid Cancer
- Health Care Disparities Might Affect Black Kids' Cancer Survival
- Study Shows New Option for Kids With Tough-to-Treat Leukemia
- Daily Aspirin May Help Prevent and Treat Cancer
- Detailed Gene Scan Might Help Guide Leukemia Treatment
- Childhood Leukemia Survival Rates Reach 90 Percent
- New Drug May Help Fight Rare Bone Marrow Disorder
- FDA Moves to Head Off Shortages of 2 Cancer Drugs
- Health Highlights: Feb. 14, 2012
- FDA Thinks Shortage of Cancer Drug for Kids Can Be Averted
- Health Highlights: Feb. 13, 2012
- Gleevec Approval Widened to Include Rare Cancer
- Health Highlights: Dec. 28, 2011
- Journal Retracts Faulty Chronic Fatigue Study
- 40 Years On, the Triumphs and Challenges of America's 'War on Cancer'
- Previous Cancer May Up Melanoma Risk
- Birth Defects Seem Rare in Kids of Childhood Cancer Survivors
- Cancer Drug May Also Treat Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Two-Drug Combo May Help Hard-to-Treat Leukemia
- Drug Shortages Continue to Rise
- Whole-Genome Testing Could Become Diagnosis Tool
- Gleevec Gets High Marks for Leukemia Treatment
- Nuclear Meltdown in Japan: Radiation Risk?
- Growing Shortage of Some Rx Drugs
- Childhood Leukemia, Brain Cancer on the Rise
- HIV/AIDS Cure? FAQ
- 3 or More X-Rays May Raise Leukemia Risk Among Kids: Study
- Tasigna Approval Widened to Include Early Stages of Rare Leukemia
- Green Tea Compound Slowed Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Genetic Pattern May Predict Leukemia Relapse
- Drinking While Pregnant Tied to Rare Leukemia in Offspring
- Rituxan Approved for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- High Rates of Childhood Leukemia Seen in Iraq Province
- Stem Cell, Bone Marrow Transplants Both Benefit Leukemia Patients
- Study Suggests Way to 'Mop Up' Leukemia Cells
- Leukemia Drug in High Dose Helps Survival
- Treating Childhood Leukemia With Fewer Side Effects
- For Kids With Leukemia, Radiation May Be Safe to Skip
- Taking Aim at Relapse of Leukemia in Kids
- Donor Stem-Cell Transplant Best For Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Hard-to-Treat Leukemia Cell Subtype Identified
- Grape Seed Extract May Fight Leukemia
- Higher Chemo Drug Dose Prolongs Lives of Leukemia Patients
- New Test Detects Rare Leukemia More Quickly
- Methadone Kills Resistant Leukemia Cells
- Genetic Changes May Dictate Course of Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Day Care, Play Groups Cut Leukemia Risk?
- Tasigna Approved for Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
- Use Two Drugs at Once to Beat Leukemia: Study
- 'Immediate Hope' for Leukemia Patients
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Cancer Report Newsletter