Legionellosis is an infection caused by the Legionella pneumophila bacterium. There are two forms of legionellosis: Pontiac fever and Legionnaires' disease, which is the more severe of the two infections. Symptoms of Pontiac fever include fever, headache, muscle aches, and chills. Symptoms of Legionnaires' disease include cough, chills, fever and sometimes muscle aches, headaches, loss of appetite, diarrhea, and severe pneumonia. While Pontiac fever resolves on its own, Legionnaires' disease must be treated with antibiotics. Read more: Legionnaires' Disease Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Do I Have Pneumonia? Symptoms & Signs
Pneumonia can be deadly. Take the Pneumonia Quiz on MedicineNet to learn more about this highly contagious, infectious disease....
Bacterial Infections 101: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments
Learn more about bacteria and the most common bacterial infections. Get more information on bacterial skin infections, which...
Related Disease Conditions
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs caused by fungi, bacteria, or viruses. Symptoms and signs include cough, fever, shortness...
Diarrhea (Causes, Medicine, Remedies, Treatment)
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Cough (Chronic, Persistent Cough in Adults and Children)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Sick Building Syndrome
Multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) or also referred to as sick building syndrome or environmental illness is the name given by...
ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome)
Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) is a lung condition in which trauma to the lungs leads to inflammation of the lungs,...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- clarithromycin, Biaxin
- Cipro, Cipro XR (ciprofloxacin) Antibiotic Side Effects
- erythromycin (Ery-Tab, PCE)
- azithromycin (Zithromax, Zithromax Z-Pak, Zithromax Tri-Pak, Zmax)
- doxycycline (Vibramycin, Doryx)
- Levaquin (levofloxacin) Antibiotic
- rifampin - oral, Rifadin, Rimactane
- moxifloxacin, Avelox
- levofloxacin (Levaquin) Side Effects and Adverse Effects
Prevention & Wellness
- Anaheim Legionnaires' Disease Infection Cases Reach 15
- Disneyland Shuts 2 Cooling Towers After Legionnaires' Disease
- Keep Legionnaire's Disease From Spoiling Your Vacation
- One Dead, 6 Ill in NYC Legionnaire's Disease Outbreak
- Legionnaires' Disease Cases in New York City and Las Vegas
- Newborns Sickened With Legionnaire's Disease Via Home Water Birth: CDC
- Legionnaires' Hiding in Hospital, Nursing Home Plumbing Systems: CDC
- Drug-Resistant Germs Thrive in America's Corroding Water Systems
- Legionnaires' Disease Can Transmit Person-to-Person, Case Suggests
- NYC Declares Legionnaires' Disease Outbreak Over
- Poorly Maintained Plumbing Often Leads to Legionnaires' Disease, CDC Says
- 12 Deaths Now Reported in NYC Legionnaires' Disease Outbreak
- NYC Legionnaires' Disease Outbreak May Be Slowing
- Legionnaire's Disease Most Deadly for Frail, Elderly, Experts Say
- 10 Dead in NYC Legionnaires' Disease Outbreak
- 8 Dead in NYC Legionnaires' Disease Outbreak
- 7 Dead in NYC Legionnaires' Disease Outbreak
- Texas Infant Dies of Legionnaires' Disease After 'Water Birth'
- Windshield Washer Fluid May Be Source of Legionnaires' Disease
- U.S. Drinking Water Sanitation Still a Concern: CDC
- Health Highlights: Jan. 31, 2012
- Outbreak of Legionnaires' Disease Traced to Hospital Fountain
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter