Patient Comments: Learning Disability - Symptoms and Signs

What were some of the signs or symptoms of your child's learning disability? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: msjanararama, (Caregiver) Published: March 15

My daughter has had recurring stomach aches for years. For the most part they occur when she is stressed out during the school week. Today she is having terrible intestinal pain that has left her crying on the couch for 2 hours. Nothing is working and we will probably end up in urgent care. Many of my nieces (age 11 to 16) had the same recurring stomach pain. Doctors assumed it was constipation or stress. They stopped dairy/wheat, added fiber, etc. All three eventually had to have their appendix out. No more stomach problems!

Comment from: Linjrv, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

I have trouble understanding what my 5 year old is saying. The child does not focus well when teacher or parent is teaching or reading, but the child does well with puzzles and Legos.

Comment from: anonymous, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 16

My daughter had difficulty with her speech when she first started to talk. Then in school, no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't say words properly or remember them in a sentence. She couldn't sound them out. This was 34 years ago. She is now 40. I took her to a specialized center in Torrance, CA that gave her a battery of tests and determined she had aphasia. She went into special education but never really progressed past second or third grade reading level. It seems in all those years nothing has been done about this problem. They believe it was due to a difficult birth experience.

Comment from: SATURN2, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 28

Difficulty reading and writing for example: tarin for train and scharch for scratch.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Depression Newsletter