Learning disabilities can cause an individual to have trouble learning and using skills such as reading, listening, writing, reading, speaking, reasoning, and performing mathematics. There is no cure for learning disabilities. Parents and teachers working together to properly diagnose learning disabilities can properly plan a course of education. For some, medication may be appropriate as complimentary treatment. Read more: Learning Disabilities Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Related Disease Conditions
Genetic Disease (List, Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, Prognosis)
The definition of a genetic disease is a disorder or condition caused by abnormalities in a person's genome. Some types of...
Treatment for bladder cancer depends on the stage of the disease, the grade of the tumor, and the type of bladder cancer. Options...
Microcephaly is a genetic condition where the circumference of the head is smaller than normal due to underdeveloped brain....
Dyslexia affects a person's ability to spell, read, write, or even speak. It's considered the most common learning disability in...
Adult ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
About 2%-6% of adults have ADHD, a common behavioral problem. Symptoms include impulsivity, hyperactivity, and inattention....
Birth defects have many causes and currently, are the leading cause of death for infants in the first year of life. Some of the...
Approximately 40 million children suffer abuse every year around the world, and more than 1,500 children die of abuse in the U.S....
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Aphasia is a condition that is the result of damage to portions of the brain. It can be caused by stroke, head injury, brain...
Autism Spectrum Disorder (In Children and Adults)
Autism in children and adults is a developmental disorder, characterized by impaired development in communication, social...
Williams syndrome is a developmental disorder that affects many parts of the body. Signs, symptoms, characteristics and...
Childhood ADD or ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Children)
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) causes the following symptoms in children: excessive activity, problems...
Fragile X Syndrome
Fragile X syndrome is the most common inherited form of mental retardation. It's caused by a mutation on the X chromosome. People...
Face Blindness (Prosopagnosia)
Face blindness (prosopagnosia) is a condition that causes the inability to recognize faces. Face blindness may be caused by...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Prader-Willi syndrome is a condition characterized by severe floppiness (hypotonia), poor growth, delayed development, and poor...
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS)
Consuming alcohol during pregnancy may cause fetal alcohol syndrome, a group of conditions associated with mental, growth, and...
Spina Bifida and Anencephaly (Neural Tube Defects)
Spina bifida is the most common neural tube defect in the United States. There are four types of spina bifida; 1) occulta, 2)...
American Sign Language (ASL) is a complete, complex language that employs signs made with the hands and other movements,...
Auditory Processing Disorder in Children
Children with auditory processing disorders often do not recognize subtle differences between sounds in words, even though the...
Canavan disease is an inherited genetic disorder that typically causes death before 10 years of age. Signs and symptoms of the...
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) FAQs
Autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) are developmental disorders that do not appear to be linked to vaccines. More people than ever...
Local ResourcesFind a local Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrician in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Traveling With a Disability
- Zika May Not Last in Semen as Long as Thought
- Learning Issues Common in Kids With Heart Defects: Study
- Kids With ADHD Make 6.1 Million Doctor Visits a Year in U.S.: CDC
- Exercise: An Antidote for Behavioral Issues in Students?
- Disabled Children Face Bullying Throughout School Years
- Babies With Cleft Lip Likely to Have Normal Adulthood: Study
- Season of Conception May Affect Fetal Brain Growth
- Flint's Lead-Contamination Crisis 'Entirely Preventable'
- Dad's Role in Baby's Health Larger Than Thought?
- More U.S. Kids Have Chronic Health Problems: Study
- Businesses Should Be Mindful of Zika Danger to Workers, CDC Says
- Psychological Disorders Affect 1 in 7 U.S. Kids Under 9: CDC
- Dyslexia Unrelated to Vision Problems: Study
- Not Interested in School? Maybe They're Born That Way
- Could Premature Birth Affect Adult Relationships, Self-Esteem?
- Brain Training Goes to School
- Can Brain Scans Help Predict Young Children's Reading Abilities?
- Childhood Mental Disability Rates Up, Study Finds
- Many Expectant Moms Don't Get Steroids That Protect Preterm Babies
- Preschoolers With Special Needs May Gain From 'Inclusion' Classrooms
- Same Genes May Influence Reading, Math Skills: Study
- Poor Sleep May Lead to Worse Grades for College Students
- Language Problems Common for Kids With ADHD, Study Finds
- Both Sides of Brain Involved in Speech, Study Finds
- Preemies Show Subtle Differences in Brain Development
- Music Training May Boost Young Brains, Studies Suggest
- Study Suggests Late-Term Preemies Don't Do as Well in Life
- E-Readers Benefit Some With Dyslexia, Study Finds
- Young Adults With Autism Less Likely to Have Jobs, Live Independently
- Health Tip: Identifying a Learning Disability
- Vision, Dyslexia Not Linked: Study
- Why Johnny Can't Add, Even After Tutoring
- Childhood Meningitis Tied to Reduced Education, Employment Prospects
- Kids' Learning Disabilities May Have Multiple Causes
- Ob-Gyn Group Lists Procedures That May Not Be Needed
- Video Games May Sharpen Focusing Skills in Kids With Dyslexia
- Obese Kids May Face Immediate Health Woes, Study Finds
- Listening Aids May Help Boost Dyslexic Kids' Reading Skills
- Anesthesia May Harm Children's Brains
- Dyslexia May Be Caused by Signal Processing Problem in Brain
- Week-Long Speech Therapy May Improve Stuttering
- Writing Using the Eyes Might Help Paralyzed Communicate
- Special-Ed Students at Greater Risk of Bullying, Being Bullied: Study
- Even Some Scientists Are Math-Challenged
- Most 'Extreme Preemies' Grow Into Happy, Healthy Teens
- Spacing Letters Apart Helps Dyslexia
- Being Bullied Tied to Anxiety, Depression in Special-Needs Kids
- Study Suggests Treating Dyslexia Before Kids Learn to Read
- Teens With Autism Preoccupied With TV, Video Games: Study
- Low Vitamin D in Pregnancy Linked to Language Problems in Children
- Anesthesia in Early Childhood May Be Linked to ADHD
- Study Links Cadmium Exposure to Learning Disabilities in Kids
- Testosterone Exposure May Explain Boys' Language Delay
- Dyslexia's Brain Changes May Occur Before Kids Learn to Read
- Why Some Children May ‘Grow Out' of Autism
- Scientists Probe the Origins of Dyslexia
- Some of World's Tiniest ‘Preemies' Are Growing Up Healthy
- Study Finds No Link Between Dyslexia and IQ
- Lack of Sleep, Overweight Linked to Kids' Learning Problems
- Anesthesia Before Age 2 Linked to Learning Problems
- Progesterone Gel Reduces Risk of Early Preterm Birth
- EPA Proposes New Mercury Air Pollution Rules
- Electrical Brain Stimulation May Raise Math Skills