Patient Comments: Constipation - Possible Causes

What do you believe is the cause of your constipation? Please describe your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: art, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

Helicobacter pylori is the cause of my constipation. I have not gone in over 10 days. I do enemas all of the time.

Comment from: Kathleen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I have always struggled with constipation but my current bout is due to prescription pain relievers for shoulder surgery, as well as lower activity. My stool became impacted even though I had been drinking lots of water and taking Colace. I finally got myself cleared out and am taking senna, Miralax, and Metamucil. I hope this mix will help.

Comment from: jamie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I have constipation due to pain pills and anesthesia, it feels like sharp rocks in my bowels.

Comment from: Daisy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

Constipation is a thing I have lived with for over 10 years. I have tried every laxative on the market and increased both water and fiber in my diet. I feel constantly bloated, get severe headaches and fell nauseous. I am now approximately 15 kilos overweight, until 2 years ago I always fell within the healthy weight range but am blaming the fact that more often than not it may be 2 weeks between bowel releasing.

Comment from: FLO, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I am on narcotics because of knee replacement, which has caused my constipation.

Comment from: allyboy, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 10

I've had constant constipation from age 16. I have tried over-the-counter laxatives, which, in order to be effective, I feel must be taken in high doses. I drink plenty of water and about 35 grams of fiber per day.

Constipation Myths & Facts