Patient Comments: Larynx Cancer - Symptoms and Signs

What are the symptoms and signs of your larynx cancer? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Cheslee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

I was a truck driver that smoked very heavy for ten years. Before that I served in the navy in the boiler room aboard ships. In March of 2014 I got sore throat and a cough. I went to my primary care doctor and he just prescribed cough drops (did not even look at my throat). This went on for 7 months and I made an appointment with my Veterans Affairs primary care doctor. He took a look and said he needed me to see the ENT doctors and made an appointment as soon as he could get me in, which was 45 days later. The ENT doctor used a scope and he sadly informed me I might have cancer. I needed a biopsy to be sure, and 3 weeks later I went for the biopsy. A week later I was told I had stage 4 cancer of the larynx. They placed a feeding tube in also a PICC line in me. On February 10, 2015 they started on chemotherapy, 5 day a week along with radiation 2 days a week for seven week. After 3 weeks my kidneys started to fail, and they switched to a different type of chemotherapy 2 days a week, and 3 days of hydration for the remaining 4 weeks. I went in for a checkup 2 months later, the cancer was back and the only course of treatment was surgery. They did a full laryngectomy, removal of larynx, and that was in August 4th of 2015. I still have swelling in my face and the muscle in my neck are still hard as a rock. I have major problems swallowing and sticking of food in my throat. It's only been 6 months since the surgery. I no longer can talk, no sense of smell, very little taste, and still have a feeding tube to help gain my weight back. Before all this my weight was 250 pounds, I lost 100 pounds, but I now weigh in at 180 pounds. But I am thankful I am alive every day. So if you have any symptoms please see your doctor and have them look at your throat, to save you from a lot of pain and suffering physically and mentally.

Comment from: Macphee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I am having scope done on my throat next week. I have these symptoms, heartburn, coughing a lot, sore throat, and I find it hard to breathe. I have chest pain at times and my esophagus has thickened. With these symptoms, I wonder if I may have larynx cancer.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Cancer Report Newsletter