Acute injuries, medical conditions, and chronic use conditions are causes of knee pain. Symptoms and signs that accompany knee pain include redness, swelling, difficulty walking, and locking of the knee. To diagnose knee pain, a physician will perform a physical exam and also may order X-rays, arthrocentesis, blood tests, or a CT scan or MRI. Treatment of knee pain depends upon the cause of the pain. Read more: Knee Pain Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Knee Joint
The knee joint has three parts. See a picture of Knee Joint and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Torn Meniscus
The knee is a joint where the bone of the thigh (femur) meets the shinbone of the leg (tibia). See a picture of Torn Meniscus and...
Picture of Leg
In popular usage, the leg extends from the top of the thigh down to the foot. See a picture of the Leg and learn more about the...
Gout Attack Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Diet
Gout attacks (gouty arthritis) are caused by crystals of uric acid deposits. Learn about symptoms, causes, treatments and...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Symptoms & Treatment
What is rheumatoid arthritis (RA)? Learn about juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Discover rheumatoid arthritis (RA) symptoms,...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Exercises Slideshow: Joint-Friendly Fitness Routines
Regular exercise boosts fitness and helps reverse joint stiffness for people with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Our experts offer...
Exercises for Knee Osteoarthritis and Joint Pain
Learn about osteoarthritis and exercises that relieve knee osteoarthritis pain, stiffness and strengthen the knee joint and...
Osteoarthritis (OA): Treatment, Symptoms, Diagnosis
Osteoarthritis (OA) is a degenerative joint disease affecting both cartilage and bone. Joints most often affected by...
Exercise Tips for Seniors
Exercise for seniors is important for healthy and successful aging. Learn what happens to our bodies as we age, how to start...
Sports Injuries: Types, Treatments, and Prevention
Learn about common sports injuries types, treatments, and prevention. Can you heal a pulled muscle in the back, neck, lower back...
Bursitis: Treatments for Hip, Knee Shoulder and More
Diagnosed with bursitis? Learn about treatment and prevention for trochanteric bursitis, as well as hip, knee, shoulder and other...
What Does It Mean When Your Whole Body Aches?
Body aches and pains can be disruptive and frustrating. Learn many chronic pain causes, including lupus, arthritis, fibromyalgia,...
Ankylosing Spondylitis: Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
What is Ankylosing spondylitis (AS)? Ankylosing spondylitis is arthritis of the spine. It causes symptoms like stiffness and...
Pain Management: Knee Pain Dos and Don'ts
Your knees go through a lot in the course of a day, and sometimes they can run into trouble. Here are a few things you can do...
A Visual Guide to Knee Replacement
Find out what to expect with knee replacement surgery in this WebMD slideshow....
Related Disease Conditions
Ankle pain is commonly due to a sprain or tendinitis. The severity of ankle sprains ranges from mild (which can resolve within...
Bursitis of the knee results when any of the three fluid-filled sacs (bursae) become inflamed due to injury or strain. Symptoms...
Gout (Gouty Arthritis)
Buildup of uric acid crystals in a joint causes gouty arthritis. Symptoms and signs include joint pain, swelling, heat, and...
Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs and Ulcers
Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are prescribed medications for the treatment of inflammatory conditions. Examples of...
Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis caused by inflammation, breakdown, and eventual loss of cartilage in the joints. Also...
Pseudogout, a form of arthritis, results when deposits of crystals collect in and around the joints. Symptoms of pseudogout...
Reactive arthritis is a chronic, systemic rheumatic disease characterized by three conditions, including conjunctivitis, joint...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints, the tissue around the joints,...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Osgood-Schlatter disease, a painful inflammation just below the knee but above the shin, typically affects adolescent boys....
A Baker's cyst, also called a popliteal cyst, is swelling caused by knee joint fluid protruding to the back of the knee...
Chondromalacia Patella (Patellofemoral Syndrome)
Chondromalacia patella (housemaid's knee or secretary's knee) results from misalignment of the kneecap as it slides over the...
Arthritis is inflammation of one or more joints. When joints are inflamed they can develop stiffness, warmth, swelling, redness...
A bursa is a fluid-filled sac found in the joints that cushions them. Bursitis is an inflammation of the bursae, most commonly...
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
Sprains and Strains
An injury to a ligament is called a sprain, and an injury to muscle or tendon is called a strain. Sprains and strains may be...
Septic arthritis, or infectious arthritis, is infection of one or more joints by bacteria, viruses, or fungi. Symptoms and signs...
A torn meniscus (knee cartilage) may be caused by suddenly stopping, sharply twisting, or deep squatting or kneeling when lifting...
Iliotibial Band Syndrome
Iliotibial band syndrome is an overuse injury of the thigh and knee. Symptoms include knee pain and possible swelling. Treatment...
Knee injuries, especially meniscus tears, are common in contact sports. Symptoms and signs of a torn meniscus include knee pain,...
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity...
16 Early Symptoms and Signs of Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Early RA symptoms and signs vary differently from person to person. The most common body parts that are initially affected by RA...
Flatfoot (Pes Planus)
Flatfoot is a disorder in which the foot's entire sole is touching the ground while standing. Symptoms and signs of flatfoot...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Torn ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament) of the Knee
- Tiger Woods: Stress Fracture and Torn ACL
- Football, Knee Ligament Injury...Is it the Shoes?
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: What is it?
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Effectiveness
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Indications
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Success
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Side Effects
- Chondroitin Sulfate &Glucosamine: Proper Use
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Other Use
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Benefits
- Chondroitin & Glucosamine & NSAID's
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Supervision
- Arthritis or Injury: Ice or Heat - Which To Apply
- Pain (Acute and Chronic)
- Chondromalacia: What Makes Knee Pain Worse?
- Back: 10 Health Tips for Autumn Leaves Clean-Up
- Knee Pain Causes
Medications & Supplements
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- flurbiprofen (Ansaid is a discontinued brand)
- aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid, Bayer, Ecotrin, and others)
- codeine (for Pain)
- salsalate, Amigesic, Salflex, Argesic-SA, Marthritic, Salsitab, Artha-G
- diflunisal, Dolobid
- etodolac, Lodine (Discontinued)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- fenoprofen, Nalfon
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- ketoprofen (Discontinued brands: Nexcede, Orudis, Oruvail, Actron)
- Percocet (oxycodone and acetaminophen, Roxicet, Tylox, Oxycet)
- choline magnesium salicylate, Trilisate
- Tramadol: for Pain (Ultram, Ultram ER, Conzip)
- hydrocodone/acetaminophen (Vicodin, Norco)
- cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril, Amrix, Fexmid)
- carisoprodol (Soma)
- Oxycodone for Pain (OxyContin, Roxicodone, Oxecta, Oxaydo, Xtampza ER, Roxybond)
- celecoxib (Celebrex)
- hydrocodone and ibuprofen, Vicoprofen
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- Cox-2 Inhibitors
- Over-the-Counter Products
- hylan G-F 20 (Synvisc, Synvisc One)
- Aspirin Therapy (Guidelines for Heart Attack and Stroke Prevention)
- Pain Medications (Narcotics)
- hyaluronate (hyaluronan, Hyalgan, Supartz, Euflexxa, Orthovisc)
- hydrocodone (Zohydro ER)
- hydromorphone (Dilaudid)
- Oxycodone vs. Hydrocodone
- Oxycodone vs. Tramadol for Pain
- Percocet vs. Lortab for Pain
- Oxycodone vs. Vicodin (hydrocodone/acetaminophen) for Pain
- Tramadol (Ultram) Side Effects
- Oxycodone vs. Codeine
- Hydrocodone vs. Hydromorphone (Differences between Side Effects)
- Aspirin vs. NSAIDs (Side Effect and Use Differences)
- Ibuprofen vs. Meloxicam (Mobic) for Pain
- Ibuprofen (Advil) vs. Naproxen (Aleve): Comparison of Differences
- Acetaminophen vs. Ibuprofen for Pain (Differences in Side Effects and Dosage)
- Aleve (naproxen) vs. Celebrex (celecoxib)
Prevention & Wellness
- Upbeat Attitude May Be a Pain Fighter
- Little Evidence Pain Creams Work
- 'Mindfulness' Might Help Some Conquer Chronic Pain
- Opioids May Help Chronic Pain, But Not Much
- Physical Therapy Can Help You Avoid Opioids When Joint Pain Strikes
- FDA Approves Powerful New Opioid Despite Criticisms
- Brisk Walks May Help, Not Harm, Arthritic Knees
- 1 in 12 Americans Lives With Debilitating Chronic Pain
- Reduce Weight, Reduce the Arthritic Knee Pain
- A Surgery-Free Fix for Bad Knees?
- After Knee Replacement, Play On
- Stem Cell Clinics Pitch Pricey, Bogus 'Cures' for Knee Pain
- This Weight-Loss Strategy May Not Help Your Knees
- Obesity to Blame for Epidemic of Knee Dislocations, Complications
- Skeletons Give Clues to Americans' Rising Arthritis Rates
- Surgery for ACL Tear Often Successful Over Long Term
- Health Tip: Exercise to Manage Knee Pain
- Studies Spotlight Diet, Supplements for Knee Pain
- Forget Steroid Shots for Long-Term Relief of Arthritic Knees
- New Guidelines Say No to Most 'Keyhole' Knee Surgeries
- Obesity May Not Compromise Knee Surgery Success
- Some Hospitals May Overcharge for Hip, Knee Replacements: Study
- Is Running Bad for Your Knees?
- Knee Cartilage Product Approved to Repair Defects
- Health Tip: Exercise a Painful Knee
- Knee Surgery Rarer, but Problems More Likely, for Minority Patients
- Health Tip: Coping With Knee Arthritis
- New Treatment Shows Promise for Crippling Knee Arthritis
- Many Take Opioids Months After Hip, Knee Replacements
- Pharmacists Can Manage Some Chronic Conditions Effectively, Study Suggests
- Vitamin D a No Go for Arthritic Knees, Study Finds
- Botox-Like Injection Might Ease Runners' Knee Pain
- Weakened Knees a Big Cause of Falls for Older People: Study
- Health Tip: Using a Knee Brace
- MRI Can Spot Early Signs of Knee Arthritis: Study
- More Americans Getting Knees Replaced, And at Younger Ages
- Knee Replacement May Ease Pain for Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients
- Health Tip: Exercise Your Knees After Injury
- Study Questions Value of Arthroscopic Knee Surgery for Older Patients
- Health Tip: Exercising With Knee Problems
- Painful Knee Arthritis May Be Linked to Premature Death
- 'Ground Zero' Workers at Risk of Autoimmune Diseases: Study
- Knee Pain While Using Stairs May Be First Sign of Arthritis
- Knee Arthritis Drugs Beat Placebos, but Study Finds No Clear Winner
- FDA Approves Injectable Device for Back, Leg Pain
- Running Won't Raise Risk of Knee Arthritis, Study Says
- Health Tip: Feeling Weak in the Knee?
- Acupuncture May Not Help Chronic Knee Pain, Study Finds
- Study Questions Value of Certain Knee Surgeries
- Can 6,000 Steps a Day Keep Knee Arthritis at Bay?
- Drinking Milk May Slow Knee Arthritis in Women, Study Finds
- Weight-Loss Surgery Might Help Mild Knee Pain
- Knee Ligament Tears Don't Permanently Sideline Most College Football Players
- Knee Surgery May Put Kids at Higher Risk for Future Arthritis
- Knee Pain May Not Be Helped by Glucosamine
- Shoe Inserts Don't Help Arthritic Knee Pain: Study
- Knee Shape May Predict Who'll Benefit From ACL Surgery, Study Says
- Knee Replacement Often Beneficial for Rheumatoid Arthritis: Study
- Sugar Injections for Knee Arthritis May Ease Pain: Study
- Therapy as Good as Surgery for Some With Torn Knee Cartilage
- Weight Gain a Risk After Knee Replacement, Study Finds
- Vitamin D Doesn't Improve Knee Arthritis, Study Finds
- Too Much or Too Little Activity Can Spur Knee Problems
- Exercise Can Help Knee Pain if You Stick With It
- U.S. Sees a Run on New Knees Since 1990s
- Knee, Hip Replacements Don't Help People Lose Weight: Study
- Health Tip: When Your Knee is Unstable
- More Than 4 Million Americans Have New Knee
- Knee Arthritis: Very Low-Calorie Diet May Help
- Knee Pain Plagues Many Women Over 50
- Supplement May Ease Pain of Hand Osteoarthritis
- Help for Women Runners With Knee Pain
- Flip-Flops, Flat Shoes Relieve Arthritic Knees
- Brief Meditation Training Brings Pain Relief
- Electromagnetic Pulses May Stem Arthritic Knee Pain
- Tai Chi May Help Ward Off Knee Pain in Seniors
- Strong Thighs May Mean Less Knee Pain for Women
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter