Acute injuries, medical conditions, and chronic use conditions are causes of knee pain. Symptoms and signs that accompany knee pain include redness, swelling, difficulty walking, and locking of the knee. To diagnose knee pain, a physician will perform a physical exam and also may order X-rays, arthrocentesis, blood tests, or a CT scan or MRI. Treatment of knee pain depends upon the cause of the pain. Read more: Knee Pain Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Symptoms & Treatment
What is rheumatoid arthritis (RA)? Learn about juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Discover rheumatoid arthritis (RA) symptoms,...
Gout Attack Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Diet
Gout attacks (gouty arthritis) are caused by crystals of uric acid deposits. Learn about symptoms, causes, treatments and...
Osteoarthritis (OA): Treatment, Symptoms, Diagnosis
Osteoarthritis (OA) is a degenerative joint disease affecting both cartilage and bone. Joints most often affected by...
Slideshow: Exercises for Knee Osteoarthritis and Joint Pain
Learn about osteoarthritis and exercises that relieve knee osteoarthritis pain, stiffness and strengthen the knee joint and...
Picture of Knee Joint
The knee joint has three parts. See a picture of Knee Joint and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Torn Meniscus
The knee is a joint where the bone of the thigh (femur) meets the shinbone of the leg (tibia). See a picture of Torn Meniscus and...
Picture of Leg
In popular usage, the leg extends from the top of the thigh down to the foot. See a picture of the Leg and learn more about the...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Exercises Slideshow: Joint-Friendly Fitness Routines
Regular exercise boosts fitness and helps reverse joint stiffness for people with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Our experts offer...
Exercise Tips for Seniors
Exercise for seniors is important for healthy and successful aging. Learn what happens to our bodies as we age, how to start...
Sports Injuries: Types, Treatments, and Prevention
Learn about common sports injuries types, treatments, and prevention. Can you heal a pulled muscle in the back, neck, lower back...
Related Disease Conditions
Gout (Gouty Arthritis)
Buildup of uric acid crystals in a joint causes gouty arthritis. Symptoms and signs include joint pain, swelling, heat, and...
15 Early Symptoms and Signs of Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Early RA symptoms and signs vary differently from person to person. The most common body parts that are initially affected by RA...
A torn meniscus (knee cartilage) may be caused by suddenly stopping, sharply twisting, or deep squatting or kneeling when lifting...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints, the tissue around the joints,...
Arthritis is inflammation of one or more joints. When joints are inflamed they can develop stiffness, warmth, swelling, redness...
Iliotibial Band Syndrome
Iliotibial band syndrome is an overuse injury of the thigh and knee. Symptoms include knee pain and possible swelling. Treatment...
A Baker's cyst, also called a popliteal cyst, is swelling caused by knee joint fluid protruding to the back of the knee...
Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis caused by inflammation, breakdown, and eventual loss of cartilage in the joints. Also...
Bursitis of the knee results when any of the three fluid-filled sacs (bursae) become inflamed due to injury or strain. Symptoms...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Ankle pain is commonly due to a sprain or tendinitis. The severity of ankle sprains ranges from mild (which can resolve within...
A bursa is a fluid-filled sac found in the joints that cusions them. Bursitis is an inflammation of the bursae, most commonly...
Chondromalacia Patella (Patellofemoral Syndrome)
Chondromalacia patella (housemaid's knee or secretary's knee) results from misalignment of the kneecap as it slides over the...
Pseudogout, a form of arthritis, results when deposits of crystals collect in and around the joints. Symptoms of pseudogout...
Knee injuries, especially meniscus tears, are common in contact sports. Symptoms and signs of a torn meniscus include knee pain,...
Sprains and Strains
An injury to a ligament is called a sprain, and an injury to muscle or tendon is called a strain. Sprains and strains may be...
Septic arthritis, or infectious arthritis, is infection of one or more joints by bacteria, viruses, or fungi. Symptoms and signs...
Reactive arthritis is a chronic, systemic rheumatic disease characterized by three conditions, including conjunctivitis, joint...
Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs and Ulcers
Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are prescribed medications for the treatment of inflammatory conditions. Examples of...
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
Osgood-Schlatter disease, a painful inflammation just below the knee but above the shin, typically affects adolescent boys....
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity...
Flatfoot (Pes Planus)
Flatfoot is a disorder in which the foot's entire sole is touching the ground while standing. Symptoms and signs of flatfoot...
Knee Pain - Symptoms
How long did the symptoms of your knee pain last?Post View 86 Comments
Knee Pain - Causes
What caused your knee pain?Post View 114 Comments
Knee Pain - Treatment
What was the treatment for your knee pain?Post View 6 Comments
Knee Pain - Prognosis
What is your knee pain prognosis?Post View 12 Comments
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Knee Pain Causes
- Back: 10 Health Tips for Autumn Leaves Clean-Up
- Arthritis or Injury: Ice or Heat - Which To Apply
- Pain (Acute and Chronic)
- Knee Pain: Is It Chondromalacia?
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Side Effects
- Torn ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament) of the Knee
- Tiger Woods: Stress Fracture and Torn ACL
- Football, Knee Ligament Injury...Is it the Shoes?
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: What is it?
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Effectiveness
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Indications
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Success
- Chondroitin Sulfate &Glucosamine: Proper Use
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Other Use
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Benefits
- Chondroitin & Glucosamine & NSAID's
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Supervision
Medications & Supplements
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- Tramadol: for Pain (Ultram, Ultram ER, Conzip)
- Narcotic Pain Medications (Opioids, Analgesics, Narcotics)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- codeine (for Pain)
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril, Amrix, Fexmid)
- Cox-2 Inhibitors
- celecoxib, Celebrex
- Oxycodone vs. Tramadol for Pain
- Oxycodone vs. Hydrocodone: Which Is Better for Pain?
- Percocet (oxycodone and acetaminophen, Roxicet, Tylox, Oxycet)
- Oxycodone: for Pain (OxyContin, Roxicodone, Oxecta)
- hydrocodone/acetaminophen, Vicodin, Vicodin ES, Vicodin HP, Anexsia, Lortab, Lorcet, Lorcet Plus, No
- aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid, Bayer, Ecotrin, and others)
- hydromorphone (Dilaudid, Dilaudid-5, Dilaudid-HP Injection, Exalgo) for Pain
- etodolac, Lodine (Discontinued)
- Over-the-Counter Products
- Aspirin Therapy (Guidelines for Heart Attack and Stroke Prevention)
- diflunisal, Dolobid
- flurbiprofen (Ansaid is a discontinued brand)
- Ibuprofen vs. Meloxicam (Mobic) for Pain
- Percocet vs. Lortab for Pain
- Oxycodone vs. Vicodin (hydrocodone/acetaminophen) for Pain
- hydrocodone (Zohydro ER)
- carisoprodol (Soma)
- Aspirin vs. NSAIDs (Side Effect and Use Differences)
- ketoprofen (Discontinued brands: Nexcede, Orudis, Oruvail, Actron)
- hylan G-F 20 (Synvisc, Synvisc One)
- Hydrocodone vs. Hydromorphone (Differences between Side Effects)
- fenoprofen, Nalfon
- hydrocodone and ibuprofen, Vicoprofen
- hyaluronate (hyaluronan, Hyalgan, Supartz, Euflexxa, Orthovisc)
- salsalate, Amigesic, Salflex, Argesic-SA, Marthritic, Salsitab, Artha-G
- Tramadol (Ultram) Side Effects
- choline magnesium salicylate, Trilisate
- Ibuprofen (Advil) vs. Naproxen (Aleve): Comparison of Differences
Prevention & Wellness
- Obesity to Blame for Epidemic of Knee Dislocations, Complications
- Skeletons Give Clues to Americans' Rising Arthritis Rates
- Surgery for ACL Tear Often Successful Over Long Term
- Health Tip: Exercise to Manage Knee Pain
- Studies Spotlight Diet, Supplements for Knee Pain
- Forget Steroid Shots for Long-Term Relief of Arthritic Knees
- New Guidelines Say No to Most 'Keyhole' Knee Surgeries
- Obesity May Not Compromise Knee Surgery Success
- Some Hospitals May Overcharge for Hip, Knee Replacements: Study
- Is Running Bad for Your Knees?
- Knee Cartilage Product Approved to Repair Defects
- Health Tip: Exercise a Painful Knee
- Knee Surgery Rarer, but Problems More Likely, for Minority Patients
- Health Tip: Coping With Knee Arthritis
- New Treatment Shows Promise for Crippling Knee Arthritis
- Many Take Opioids Months After Hip, Knee Replacements
- Pharmacists Can Manage Some Chronic Conditions Effectively, Study Suggests
- Vitamin D a No Go for Arthritic Knees, Study Finds
- Botox-Like Injection Might Ease Runners' Knee Pain
- Weakened Knees a Big Cause of Falls for Older People: Study
- Health Tip: Using a Knee Brace
- MRI Can Spot Early Signs of Knee Arthritis: Study
- More Americans Getting Knees Replaced, And at Younger Ages
- Knee Replacement May Ease Pain for Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients
- Health Tip: Exercise Your Knees After Injury
- Study Questions Value of Arthroscopic Knee Surgery for Older Patients
- Health Tip: Exercising With Knee Problems
- Painful Knee Arthritis May Be Linked to Premature Death
- 'Ground Zero' Workers at Risk of Autoimmune Diseases: Study
- Knee Pain While Using Stairs May Be First Sign of Arthritis
- Knee Arthritis Drugs Beat Placebos, but Study Finds No Clear Winner
- FDA Approves Injectable Device for Back, Leg Pain
- Running Won't Raise Risk of Knee Arthritis, Study Says
- Health Tip: Feeling Weak in the Knee?
- Acupuncture May Not Help Chronic Knee Pain, Study Finds
- Study Questions Value of Certain Knee Surgeries
- Can 6,000 Steps a Day Keep Knee Arthritis at Bay?
- Drinking Milk May Slow Knee Arthritis in Women, Study Finds
- Weight-Loss Surgery Might Help Mild Knee Pain
- Knee Ligament Tears Don't Permanently Sideline Most College Football Players
- Knee Surgery May Put Kids at Higher Risk for Future Arthritis
- Knee Pain May Not Be Helped by Glucosamine
- Shoe Inserts Don't Help Arthritic Knee Pain: Study
- Knee Shape May Predict Who'll Benefit From ACL Surgery, Study Says
- Knee Replacement Often Beneficial for Rheumatoid Arthritis: Study
- Sugar Injections for Knee Arthritis May Ease Pain: Study
- Therapy as Good as Surgery for Some With Torn Knee Cartilage
- Weight Gain a Risk After Knee Replacement, Study Finds
- Vitamin D Doesn't Improve Knee Arthritis, Study Finds
- Too Much or Too Little Activity Can Spur Knee Problems
- Exercise Can Help Knee Pain if You Stick With It
- U.S. Sees a Run on New Knees Since 1990s
- Knee, Hip Replacements Don't Help People Lose Weight: Study
- Health Tip: When Your Knee is Unstable
- More Than 4 Million Americans Have New Knee
- Knee Arthritis: Very Low-Calorie Diet May Help
- Knee Pain Plagues Many Women Over 50
- Supplement May Ease Pain of Hand Osteoarthritis
- Help for Women Runners With Knee Pain
- Flip-Flops, Flat Shoes Relieve Arthritic Knees
- Brief Meditation Training Brings Pain Relief
- Electromagnetic Pulses May Stem Arthritic Knee Pain
- Tai Chi May Help Ward Off Knee Pain in Seniors
- Strong Thighs May Mean Less Knee Pain for Women
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter