Knee injuries, especially meniscus tears, are common in contact sports. Symptoms and signs of a torn meniscus include knee pain, swelling, a popping sound, and difficulty bending the leg. Treatment may involve resting, icing, compressing, and elevating the knee, in addition to wearing a knee brace, taking anti-inflammatory medications, and stretching the knee. Read more: Knee Injury Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Torn Meniscus
The knee is a joint where the bone of the thigh (femur) meets the shinbone of the leg (tibia). See a picture of Torn Meniscus and...
Sports Injuries: Types, Treatments, and Prevention
Learn about common sports injuries types, treatments, and prevention. Can you heal a pulled muscle in the back, neck, lower back...
Related Disease Conditions
Learn about osteoporosis, a condition characterized by the loss of bone density, which leads to an increased risk of bone...
A torn meniscus (knee cartilage) may be caused by suddenly stopping, sharply twisting, or deep squatting or kneeling when lifting...
Acute injuries, medical conditions, and chronic use conditions are causes of knee pain. Symptoms and signs that accompany knee...
Arthritis is inflammation of one or more joints. When joints are inflamed they can develop stiffness, warmth, swelling, redness...
Bursitis of the knee results when any of the three fluid-filled sacs (bursae) become inflamed due to injury or strain. Symptoms...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Torn ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tear)
The anterior cruciate ligament helps to prevent the top and bottom of the knee from sliding back and forth. Symptoms and signs of...
Chondromalacia Patella (Patellofemoral Syndrome)
Chondromalacia patella (housemaid's knee or secretary's knee) results from misalignment of the kneecap as it slides over the...
Broken Bone (Types of Bone Fractures)
A broken bone is a fracture. There are different types of fractures, such as: compressed, open, stress, greenstick,...
Sprains and Strains
An injury to a ligament is called a sprain, and an injury to muscle or tendon is called a strain. Sprains and strains may be...
Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Injury
The medial collateral ligament (MCL) is one of four ligaments that stabilize the knee. MCL injuries are referred to as tears or...
Fitness: Exercise for a Healthy Heart
Regular exercise can help reduce the risk of heart disease. To achieve maximum benefits, do a mix of stretching exercise, aerobic...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Meniscus Tear - Symptoms
Describe what happened and how it felt when you had a meniscus tear.Post View 2 Comments
Meniscus Tear - Treatment
What was the treatment or medication you received for your meniscus tear?Post View 1 Comment
Meniscus Tear - Recovery
Describe the healing and recovery process for your meniscus tear.Post
Meniscus Tear - Prevention
In what ways would you try to prevent a meniscus tear?Post
Knee Injury - Causes
What caused your knee injury?Post View 3 Comments
Knee Injury - Experience
Please describe your experience with your knee injury.Post View 5 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Do Your Knees Crackle and Pop?
- ACL Surgery Usually Puts Athletes Back in Play: Study
- ACL Tears on the Rise Among Kids, Especially Girls
- Knee Cartilage Product Approved to Repair Defects
- Is Surgery Always Needed for Meniscal Tears of the Knee?
- Are High School Athletes at Risk From Artificial Turf?
- Birth Control Pills Linked to Fewer Severe Knee Injuries in Teen Girls
- Health Tip: Using a Knee Brace
- Health Tip: Exercise Your Knees After Injury
- Young People At Risk of Second Injury After Knee Surgery
- Health Tip: Feeling Weak in the Knee?
- Study Questions Value of Certain Knee Surgeries
- Delaying Kid's Knee Surgery Could Be a Bad Play, Study Finds
- Knee Ligament Tears Don't Permanently Sideline Most College Football Players
- Knee Surgery May Put Kids at Higher Risk for Future Arthritis
- Get Fit Before You Hit the Slopes
- Concussion's Damage to Brain Lingers After Symptoms Fade: Study
- Doctors Quick to Order Knee MRIs When They Own a Scanner, Study Finds
- Knee Shape May Predict Who'll Benefit From ACL Surgery, Study Says
- After ACL Surgery, Another Knee Injury Likely, Study Suggests
- Kids With Knee ACL Injuries Require Special Care
- Too Much or Too Little Activity Can Spur Knee Problems
- Are Knee Injuries Tied to Menstrual Cycle?
- U.S. Sees a Run on New Knees Since 1990s
- Health Tip: When Your Knee is Unstable
- More Than 4 Million Americans Have New Knee
- Is American Medicine Too Test Happy?
- Knee Pain Plagues Many Women Over 50
- Specialized Warm-Up May Reduce Girls' Knee Injuries
- Knee Injuries on the Rise in Young Athletes
- Knee Injury? Surgery Won't Cut Arthritis Risk
- Health Tip: When to See a Doctor for a Knee Injury
- Exercise Program Lowers Knee Injury Risk
- Knee Injuries Main Cause of HS Sports Surgeries
- Swelling After Knee Injury May Hinder Healing
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter