Patient Comments: Kidney Stones - Treatment

How were your kidney stones treated? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Bill S, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I just had kidney stone removed by ESWL (extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy) on Monday morning, with a stent still in place. I was discharged yesterday approximately 12:30 to 1.00 pm. At home I spent last 17 hours urinating every 15 or 20 minutes. I cannot get any sleep.

Comment from: mamama, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I am 33 and have had two kidney stones removed so far and currently have a small one waiting to be passed/blown to bits. I had already had appendicitis and gall bladder removal prior to my first kidney stone episode but the kidney stone was much worse pain than either of those. I remember passing out at work from the pain and then waking up in the emergency room (ER) where they told me it was kidney stones and scheduled a lithotripsy after doping me up a bit. The lithotripsy went well and they put a stent in but a day later, it hurt even worse. I tried for a few days to take the pain but I could barely breathe and it was making me almost delirious. So (brace yourself), I went in the bathroom and pulled out my stent. Much better! Doctor wasn't happy when I told him what I did; better than contemplating suicide over the pain. The next episode was after I had my first child, literally, about a week postpartum. Apparently, it had been in there the whole time growing but the fetus kept it from causing too much pain somehow. Again, I had another lithotripsy and another stent, although I warned the doctor about what happened the last time. Sure enough, the same night after surgery, I was rolling around in bed and no position brought any amount of relief. Finally, I told my husband to call an ambulance (which I need to be dying to ask for) and he said he would just take me in the car to the ER. I waited in the ER in a wheelchair for about an hour, trying not to pass out. When I finally got back to triage, my blood pressure was 70/20! Well, that got things moving. In about 5 minutes, I was in a bed with Dilaudid through an IV which was amazing for the pain although my husband says it made me say lots of funny things. That was almost 2 years ago and here we are again for the 3rd go round. Urologist says current one is not big enough to be causing pain quite yet but my back does hurt same place it always does when I have a stone, so we'll see.

Comment from: Alice, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

They found a very large kidney stone by accident. It is lodged in on my right side, obstructing my ureter. I have to have the stent placed to surgically remove it. I have had it for quite some time and have lost some kidney function because of it. I never had pain from it though.

Comment from: luvsack, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

They found a large kidney stone by accident from an x-ray for another problem. It hadn"t moved or caused pain so I was lucky. They used shockwave to blow it up into little pieces and I passed a lot of pieces. I asked if they could prevent them from forming. One of the staff had them 8 times. He said he found a test that had been conducted that showed one teaspoon of concentrated lemon juice a day prevented them. He had been doing it for 6 years and never had any more problems. He was having them ever 12 to 8 months apart before. I tried it but the lemon juice made me urinate too often to be able to go anywhere. I wish I had done it though as now I have another big one they are going to shockwave. The shockwave treatment is not painful or any kind of hassle. They just slightly medicate you and use a video game like device to keep blowing the pieces up until they are all small enough to pass with no pain. The doctor said the device they use is like playing the video game Asteroids, aim at the target and shoot it. Kind of cool in a way.

Comment from: BexxieB, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My kidney stones were treated with pain medication. Ibuprofen works amazingly but sometimes something stronger is needed. That's about all I ever got from the emergency room. The last time I went to the hospital they thought I had 2 stones and sent me home with pain medication to pass them naturally. It finally passed my ureter and then I had irritation to my urethra. I thought it was from passing the stone but the irritation wouldn't go away. The stone was stuck in there somehow. I was able to pass water normally but it felt like a urinary tract infection (UTI). I drank so much water and tried diuretics but nothing worked. It stayed in there for weeks. Finally went into the shower and squatted to relieve myself and 3 small (2mm) and one massive (4x5x6) stones came out without pain. The two stones the doctors thought they saw on the x-ray was one huge stone with two points on either end. I'm actually pretty proud I was able to pass that one.

Comment from: LD, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I went to the hospital twice this weekend and was told I had a kidney stone. They gave me Percocet and Flomax. I take labetalol.

Comment from: cris, Male (Patient) Published: June 13

I have a 7mm stone. It was treated with pain medications and Cipro. I was sent home with the same.

Comment from: Terryt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

I have had stones since early 20s and I had lithotripsy twice to treat multiple stones. First attack was nausea for about 2 weeks. I thought it was something more serious. When the stone came first time pain was so severe, thought I was having heart attack. Pain starts in the back and radiates toward testicles. Blood may or may not be in urine, and have had X-rays both showing stone and not showing. I got antibiotic and pain medications and forced liquid down till it moves. When I sat in hot tub, it helped. I don't even worry anymore, as have learned that you can pass stones in excess of 2mm on your own.

Comment from: mamie43, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I noted blood in my urine and had pain in my lower back. The doctor put me on Cipro for UTI. Two weeks later, I had more pain. My urine checked out fine at the lab. Four days later, I was unable to urinate during night and the following morning, and I had severe left side and low back pain. I was sent to ER by the doctor, and a CAT scan revealed hydronephrosis, a kidney stone, and large cyst on the left kidney. I was sent home with pain pills, strainers, and told to drink a lot of liquids. The stone passed and was sent to the lab.

Comment from: ms, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 13

I had some mild pain in lower back for few days constantly thus I visited my physician office. He suspected stones after urine test, and that turned out to be true after CT. I has 1.1 cm on Right and .5 cm on left. With some home medications I passed out .5cm easily but for 1.1 cm I had to get ESWL. I was not well prepared by my urologist. Thus I had to go through lot of pain for 2 days but after that I was find. Passed out lot of stones for next few days. Now after 3 months I am again having mild pain, X-ray shows nothing, but pain is still there. Thus going for ultrasound.

Comment from: Stoney, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I am having kidney stone pain right NOW. I have been in pain since Wednesday 25th January. The stone is 4.5mm and have been taking medication for its shrinkage to be able to pass it. I don't think this is working. This has been my second stone since April last year 2011. I had a procedure last year to remove that one. It is hell, these stones.

Comment from: KJC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I'm a 40 year old female and just got released from the hospital after being diagnosed and treated for Kidney stones and infection. The pain started in my left mid back region as a pulsing, throbbing and stabbing sensation. Went to the ER and Ultrasound and CT showed I had a stone to be around 7mm in size. Because of the infection along with the stone, I was admitted and taken into the OR a few days later. They "blasted" the stone with laser and put a stent in for 10 days. That was only 2 days ago, and to tell you the truth, I'm in more pain now with the stent than I was in before my procedure. It burns to urinate now, my abdomen is cramping all the time, and the pain meds have made me bound up so now I need another pill for that. I tell you, I don't know which is worse, before or after? Its only 2 days into my recovery so hopefully it will get better. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Comment from: UtahVyper, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I was a semi driver and was away from home when I started to feel some pain, sweats, dizziness and then lots of blood in the urine (looked like I was peeing pure blood). I got back home as fast as I could and by the time I was home I was rolling all over the floor. It felt like I was trying to push a baby out my penis. Paramedics were called and I was admitted into the hospital found out I had 4 large stones 7mm to 11mm in size. We went through shock treatment with the sound waves trying to break these stones with very little luck. I was being injected Troadol and when I went into surgery they placed a stent in my penis and sent me home with a screen to urinate through to catch the stones for Doctors review. It took 13 days for me to finally pass these stones and I was taking Morphine 100mg alternating with Tradol 10mg tablets every 12 hours. I hope no one ever experiences what I went through. I would never wish this on the worst of worst enemies. To prevent you on having stones you must intake at least 2 full 16 ounce glasses of water a day and cut way back on salt intake and dark cola drinks. I wish you the best and a speedy recovery if you have these problems.

Comment from: Jocipher, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

A shot for pain followed by a very painful (it felt like a razor-bladed coat-hanger was being forced up my junk as part of some sort of inquisition or alien probe situation). Then the wire forced open the 'kidney sphincter' until the doctor could grab that big chunk of gravel and drag it back out through my pee-hole. I was unfortunate enough to need this done once for each kidney in the same sitting. Once it was over, I felt violated. A valium would have helped. In the end, this procedure was about $3000 cheaper than a useless emergency room visit where all they do is charge you outrageous fees for a shot of painkiller that will last just long enough for you to get to a doctor and get pain pills. And once the deal is done, you only have to go back for a checkup 6 months later.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I started noticing blood in my urine in the spring of 2010. After finally getting an appointment to see the urologist in October 2010, I was sent for a bladder cystoscopy, which showed nothing. Six weeks later, I was sent for a CT scan, which showed three stones in the right kidney and one stone in the left. All the while, my back was aching and I didn't understand why I wasn't being dealt with quickly. I had the ESWL treatment on Jan 31, 2011 on the right kidney only because the one in the left is 18 mm and they don't even want to or know how to deal with that one right now. The ESWL treatment broke the three stones into five and they have now moved into my ureter. The doctor called yesterday and asked me whether he should do a ureteroscopy or another ESWL treatment? I didn't like the sound of the ureteroscopy with a stent, so I have opted for another ESWL treatment, which I expect will happen within another week or so. I find it hard to believe in this day and age that, with the problem identified, they don't just go in and deal with this once and for all. My quality of life has been affected by this since November when the pain started. I thought turning 50 was going to be new and cool. Now - not so much!

Comment from: Ml, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

When I was 19 I woke up with some pain in my lower back on a Sunday, but suspected I had slept funny. By Tuesday night I was in so much pain I was vomiting. Went to the hospital and they suspected a uti. After peeing into the cup and ruling that out they thought it might be kidney stones. Had a ct scan and blood test done later that day. Went to my doctor who said I should be able to pass it naturally. Luckily we decided to see a urologist who stated that I wouldn't be able to pass the 8mm stone on my own. Had the laser surgery and stent placed but being the lucky person I am had a reaction to the stent that was almost as bad as the kidney stone pain and also had constant blood in my urine. I had to have the stent removed about a week and a half later. The relief was almost instantaneous. Am currently having some similar pain so hoping the stones have not returned !

Comment from: Jethro, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I have been experiencing kidney stones since 1991. Now it is 2013, and I still get them from occasionally. My urologist has prescribed potassium citrate, which helps to break the stone down so it can be passed. I have passed more than 20 stones in the past three years. I avoid all dark green vegetables, almonds, iced tea, or anything that is crystallized, since I've heard these are all bad for kidney stone patients. I drink gallons of water every day, and my urine is usually clear. Anyone who ever had stones knows the pain and knows when one is in the body. When you don't have pain, the stone is stationary. When pain in present, the stone is moving. This could be a good sign. If you have pain, increase your water intake. I am no expert, but have educated myself on prevention.

Comment from: onuwavbagbe Rita, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I am 36 years old. When I was pregnant three years ago, I had severe pain. It was discovered I had a renal stone – about 12 mm. Now I have a stone that is about 23 mm and am having severe pain. I just had an IVU test. I learn the results of my test on Monday.

Comment from: relm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

This past Sunday I awoke to bladder pain so I naturally thought I was getting another bladder infection. Went to work Monday, was feeling okay until I got home. I decided to stay home from work Tuesday because the pain was now in my kidneys all the way down to my bladder. It felt like someone had beat me up & I was bruised. By Tuesday night around 8pm the pain increased and became extremely unbearable. I kept drinking water and took Motrin, but nothing worked. Finally, around 2am I decided to go to the ER. The doctor knew right away what was wrong. He put me on an IV with pain meds and I felt instant relief from the pain. He ordered a CT scan which did reveal a small stone that was currently lodged into the opening in my bladder. He prescribed Flomax, Hydrocodone for pain, and pills for nausea because I was vomiting as well. He stated the stone was small enough to pass and that the Flomax will help enlarge my urethra so I can pass the stone easier. It's Thursday morning around 6am and nothing yet but I can feel the stone when I try to urinate. Like others have stated, the pain is worse than childbirth! I think my stone was caused from meds I have to take which I read one of the side effects are kidneys stones. So drinking plenty of fluids DOES help a body.

Comment from: Enggr, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 13

I went in the hospital due to my heavy pain in the right back side, Ultrasound & CD scan tests found both kidney have stones 10.6mm the right kidney and 8 mm on the left kidney. Doctor performed laser surgery cleaning both kidneys. After 22 days I resumed my job. My humble advise is drink more water and don't take so much calcium foods.

Comment from: mreddhwk, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 13

I have been in hospital 4 times in last 20 years with kidney stones. Last time I was told to quit drinking tea and more water, which seems to be working. Have had a couple of flare ups since but it was middle of night and pain pills were not working so out of desperation I grabbed my massager and worked heavily on area of pain and it worked.

Comment from: kyaw khin, 45-54 Male Published: January 16

I am a very busy accountant and am 54 years old. In May 2012 I felt back pain, and thought it was normal. I drank less water during that period due to my busy work schedule. For the next two weeks I felt pain from the left side of my stomach and my back. I went and saw a doctor and he gave me urinary tract infection drugs. After two weeks I felt a burning sensation when I urinated. I drank water a lot, about 3 to 5 liters a day. After one week I did not have the burning sensation. Later I felt pain from both the left and right side of my stomach, as well as light back pain. It was discovered that I have stones in both my right and left kidneys after a CT scan and ultrasound. I met with more than 6 urologists and only one of them asked me for if I wanted an operation. Up to now I am feeling stomach and back pain a little. I would like to suggest not to have an operation at all, and instead drink water daily, 3 to 4 liters. Do not eat salty, oily, or spicy food, and do light sports like table tennis. See more than one doctor and get suggestions. Then decide for yourself. Wish u all to recover quickly.

Published: December 17

I am a 52 year old female. Go to an urologist to have kidney stones evaluated, not your general physician. Anything over 5mm could be a very big problem. Best to have the Lithotripsy early to avoid kidney surgery where they may have to go in and extract it if gets bigger. I have had Lithotripsy 3x now since 2004. I never had pain any of the three times, but the stones were there and growing. They showed up on a CT scan I had for another reason. Stones run in my family. My 47 year old brother just got out of the hospital yesterday. He had an 8mm stone and they did Lithotripsy. He already started passing the fragments into the strainer today his wife said. Do not delay as stones only grow larger. Drink, drink, drink lots of non-caffeine fluids. Nuts and seeds cause stones so evaluate your diet for culprits. Good luck.

Comment from: Snow, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I have had 12 stones to date. Thinking about re-graveling the driveway. They last one, I couldn't pass as it was a monster. The hospital I went to left me with my ureter blocked for 12 hours. My kidney got so big, it started to swell out on my side and it sloshed when I moved. Finally, they decided to put me under, bust it up and put in a stent. Well, they didn't. They pushed it back into the kidney, didn't break it up, and the stent fell out 2 days later. I bled so bad for those 2 days that I had to wear a pad to catch the bleeding. Only after I went to another ER, after the stent fell out, did I find out the stone is still in there, exact same size as before and that both kidneys are imbedded with stones. Now, I am bleeding again, have to go to the bathroom constantly (6 to 7 times an hour), and in a great deal of pain in my groin. Saw the urologist today (yep, a different one) and they don't know what it is or what to do. Had tests done. I would rather chew off my own foot than have another stone. They are the most painful thing a human being can endure. I have had 47 other surgeries and nothing hurts like the stones do. I feel for anyone going through it. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Comment from: JB, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I was taken to the emergency room ten days ago with severe pain on my left side. They gave me something by IV for the pain and nausea, which helped for a little bit. They did a CT scan and said I had a stone in my ureter. Three days later I was back in the emergency room with severe pain again. At this emergency room they did an ultrasound and said I had a blockage in my kidney and a kidney infection as well. They put me on antibiotics. I am still feeling like crap and am constantly nauseous. I have missed a total of five days of work because of the pain and other stomach problems. I finally have an appointment with an urologist on Friday and I am really hoping that they can do something to make this thing pass a little faster. I have been taking an anti-inflammatory, Flomax, a pain pill, anti-nausea medication, and antibiotic. I am just ready for it all to be done. I am tired of being miserable.

Comment from: amanfor, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

About a month ago, I started experiencing mild lower back pain. I brushed it off for about two weeks until I saw blood in my urine. I waited a week before I went to my doctor, and she suspected it was kidney stones. The next morning, while getting ready, I fell to the floor in extreme pain and starting vomiting. I went to the ER, and the CT scan showed I had a 5 mm kidney stone that I was just beginning to pass. It has been more than a week now, and I have not passed it yet. I have extreme episodes, and the pain has started to move now into my pelvic region. I am starting to urinate more and more and it's painful. I was not experiencing this before.

Comment from: Lady Lemon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I have been using a heating pad on my kidney area in the back, drinking lemon water, taking Herb Pharm's "Stone Breaker" tincture and also taking a Chinese formula, Seven Forest's Lysimachia 3. I had an acupuncture treatment for Kidney Stones. I just peed into a strainer and found little tan gravel and black flecks in the bowl. I think I have more to go but feel much better than I had been. The pain went down my leg, up to my ribs and sometimes causing nausea. At first, I didn't take the herbs b/c it felt dramatic in my body until I realized I needed to pass these and it might be dramatic, which meant moving and good. I wish you well if you are looking for answers to help you pass kidney stones. (PS I had had an ultrasound showing many stones in each kidney and one in each uteri.)

Comment from: kidneypain, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I am a 23-year-old woman. Since I was 17, I have suffered three kidney infections. For the past three months I've had pain in my left kidney. After numerous unhelpful medical prescriptions, my doctor finally performed an ultrasound and found four stones in each kidney. I'm currently awaiting treatment.

Comment from: Christopher, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

Hi all, I'm a 32 year old male from South Africa. I went in for a routine checkup and my doctor picked up a 9mm kidney stone in my right kidney. Went for CT scans and was booked for operations the next day to remove the stone through my back. What a big thing this operation turned into, I was hospitalized for 10 days and had 3 more operations after that. And now after having went through all the trouble and pain. The kidney stone can't be removed. A specialist said that it would do more damage to my kidney if they tried to remove the stone. I am so shocked after releasing that I am going to be stuck with this 9 mm stone forever! I never had pain before operation to try and removed the stone. But are struggling with back pain ever since the operations 5 months ago. I live a very healthy life style and do drink lots of water every day. I eat healthy and do light exercise every day. Just wondering for how long this stone was in my kidney and according to my Doctor is already part of my kidney and it's stoned in my kidney meat. Could this not have been noticed on the CT?

Comment from: KK1234, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have been having back pain for months on end. One day while I was driving I felt the worst pain, ever. It did not even touch childbirth. I was on my way to get my daughter from daycare. Long story short I then went to a local after hours clinic who told me I had to see a Urologist. The UR doctor ordered me a CT scan and the scan showed a kidney stone but now in my bladder. He told me that the sharp pains I felt was the stone passing from kidneys to the bladder. I do not think I have passed it. I was so happy the back pain went away for about three weeks. However, the back pain is back. Do you think it could be another stone? I cannot even sleep at night. I have a doctor's appt in the morning and I will let you know if anyone is interested.

Comment from: dafsgirl, 45-54 Published: August 23

I get kidney stones quite frequently. Sometimes they are more painful than others. I can pass several stones and not even know I had them. And then I can pass one itsy bitsy stone that laid me flat out for days. I just push through the pain and drink lots and lots of water. I'm going to attempt a cleanse with vinegar and grape seed oil. I have found doctors to be quite useless.

Comment from: Kate, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I'm 15 years old. I have had kidney stones about four times now. I was treated by lots of painkillers and bed rest. Also they made me drink a lot of water to try and pass them. I passed them on my own, but I was close to getting them surgically removed plenty of times, but I passed them in time before they had to do so.

Comment from: BB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

Over a month ago, I had a routine urinalysis during my annual exam and found blood in my urine with no other symptoms. Put on antibiotics. About 10 days ago, I went back to Dr. and had right flank pain only when she tapped on my kidney. Blood still found in my urinalysis. Put on stronger antibiotics. Had CT scan 5 days ago which showed an 18mm stone in the renal pelvis + smaller no obstructing calculi in the right lower pole measuring up to 6mm. I have no symptoms currently and will see my Dr. again soon. Not sure what the treatment will be but surely can't pass an 18mm stone myself! I will drink a lot of water and cranberry juice in the meantime.

Comment from: Dustin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

I woke up 6:30 am Saturday, thought that I was constipated then the pain grew to a stabbing pain from my front lower left side clear around to my lower back. Had to go to the ER, after a CT scan I found out it was a kidney stone. Now 6 days later still hasn't passed. Taking large amounts of oxycodone for the pain, it is still severe.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: December 07

I am a 64 year old male diagnosed with a 5mm kidney stone. I took Flomax for five weeks without any apparent benefit. The side effects included low sex drive, difficulty sleeping, sour stomach, lack of appetite and constipation. After stopping the Flomax and starting the herbal supplement Renavive, I was free of the kidney stone in three weeks, according to the x-ray. The stone apparently dissolved and the side effects immediately stopped after starting Renavive.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I've had three bouts with kidney stones in the last four years. The best thing that I have found is drinking a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water. It seems to dissolve the stones.

Comment from: s scholl, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 27

I have had kidney stones since my 30s. They are triggered by unknown foresight. I developed a stone by taking 1500 milligrams of golden seal one morning and had to go to the hospital for treatment. The treatment is the same and very cheap but our medical brothers need multiple houses in different countries so you end up paying for that and a lot of medical staff at the hospital. My opinion is the cause of all stones and disease on the whole is the over eating and continual eating of one type of food. Even fruit and our sacred vegetable can cause illness if you over eat them. Raw food is poison to me.

Comment from: ROBERT, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

I had a terrible pain on my right side of my waistline, pricking pain, needle scratching, manage to get treatment by medication given by the doctor, a liquid form (potassium citrate) to break the formation stone with drinking lots of water for better flush and cleanse.

Comment from: Stone club, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 25

I had 11th kidney stones so I'm very experienced, in fact I'm in pain right at this moment. Lot of fluids to flush it out, pain killer(iv)when need it and laying in a heat pad for as long as you can, but do not stay in bed because it will only prolong your suffering, try to walk. The heat will dilate the pass for the stone and the shaking of the body while waking will help to pass it. Antibiotics are required at the first burning sign, do not wait to go to the doctor, that's from the infection and it won't go away by itself.

Comment from: kidney guy, Male (Caregiver) Published: May 12

Just experience my first bout with small kidney stones and this article describes it all. Intense pain with fast onset radiating down the left side to the groin. The nausea soon followed. No bed position offered relief. Thankfully, 2 bags of IV and narcotics stopped it after 4 hours when I was able to be discharged.

Comment from: NICK, 55-64 Male Published: April 28

I've had kidney stones for 18 years but since taking a special kind of herb I am now clean and have been for a year! I used to make 'stones' about every 2-3 months so I am sure it's working for me.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have had stones since I was 14 I am now 34. I have passed way to many stones to count which measured from 1mm to 8mm at home. I have had 7 lithotripsy's. Nothing seems to help. They now have me on pot citrate hoping to prevent the forming of the crystals. I drink a lot of lemon water which is suppose to help, and cranberry juice doesn't do the trick. I guess I will have with these things as long as I live.

Comment from: Frankie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I suffered excruciating pain in my lower right back immediately after intercourse. The pain then proceeded to move around my side towards my abdomen. I felt an urge to go to the toilet, did so, then suddenly all the pain was gone. The episode lasted only 15-20 minutes. My doctor diagnosed kidney stones. I have had another similar attack since, it also occurred after intercourse.

Comment from: CatPurs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I have 3 kidney stones that need to be broken before passing. I have had 2 lithotripsy procedures and am scheduled for another next week. They are focusing on the larger harder texture stone, but it has only broken up a little.

Comment from: WOW, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I went to ER in March with severe back pain. I found blood in the urine and did a CT scan and located the stone. I took Flomax 54yrs old and Advil with fluids, but nothing passed. The doctor said potential damage could result to ureter and left it to me withstanding many painful hours and then nothing for days. Nine months later ureterscopy with laser and removal, with stent left in for week. I am so used to the pain in this area that recovery seems tolerable until urinating.

Comment from: Ml, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

Comment from: shiggins77, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I have battled kidney stones since I was 18 and am now 36. I had one procedure done at 18 after developing a severe bladder infection, which was when the stones were first diagnosed. I was fine and stone-free until my second pregnancy. In the last seven years, I’ve had numerous lithotripsy (ESWL) procedures, and have had the laser stone fragmentation treatment. Then I found out I had a 4 cm stone and have had two percutaneous nephrostomy procedures done. Surprise: I found out two weeks ago I now have a 1.3 cm stone. These all occur only in my left kidney and I’m seriously wishing they would just remove my kidney at this point. I’m a working mother of two young children and my life has been consumed with doctors, procedures, and the recovery from these procedures only to experience more pain month after month. I’m so fed up and have no idea what to do now with this new stone. Nothing seems to work for me anymore.

Comment from: Engineer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 11

I am a 53 year old white male with no history of kidney stones. During a routine physical, a microscopic amount of blood was found in my urine. I have had no pain. Doctor suspected bladder or kidney cancer or possibly kidney stone. Went to urologist and got CT and cystoscopy. Cystoscopy showed nothing. CT showed 10 mm stone in left kidney. Urologist plans to take no action. I guess if it isn't causing pain or trouble passing urine that he feels it is best to do nothing at this time.

Comment from: sassydivah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

Kidney Stone removal - Homeopathic: First blend the asparagus in a blender, set the timer for 20 minutes and drink down your asparagus 'soup'. When the timer rings, reset the timer for 20 minutes, and drink the first Coke. When the timer rings, reset it for 20 minutes, and drink the next Coke. You may be catching a pattern about now and you are right continue until all the Cokes are gone. 1. Over the course of 2 hours, drink the 72 ounces (6 cans) of Coke [room temperature] 2. Steam or quickly boil the asparagus. Process in the blender until well-pureed. 3. Within 5 minutes from drinking the last 12 ounces of Coke, eat the asparagus puree. Rather than simply gulping it down, try to mix the puree well with your saliva. The remedy begins working immediately and, within a few hours, you'll begin to pass the stones through your urine as sand-like particles. Keys to Success - The remedy works best if done on an empty stomach during mid-morning time. This will allow you to have more time to expel the by-products of the cleanse. - Continue to drink a large quantity of distilled water immediately after taking the asparagus. The water will serve to re-hydrate your body. The qualities of Coke will begin to dehydrate you, so the water helps to prevent this from happening. WORKS ! I do it every time I get one (about twice a year)

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter