Patient Comments: Kidney Stones - Causes

Did your doctor indicate what he or she thought caused your kidney stones? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Angie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I have been diagnosed with medullary sponge kidney. And now I am sitting here in the worst pain I have ever had. I was diagnosed 3 years ago. I'm trying to be strong and pass the kidney stones at home. This is awful.

Comment from: Happypee man, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I had an 11 mm kidney stone and went in for surgery up through the penis. I thought it would be bad but no big deal. The biggest problem was going for the first urination, it is nasty as it hurts and is dry but not awful. You can deal with it and every time you go it gets much better; after all, it was invasive. Then 3 days later I went back to have the stent removed, aw man I was scared! But it went incredibly well but 3 hours later my kidney went into spasms. It lasted about an hour and that happened 3 times and then the kidney started to function normally and now I am perfect. I was very scared, but everything turned out ok. I would I do it again, yes I would, as I don't want a kidney stone attack; been there and it is nasty. So, anyone reading this just chill and remember, it is not open heart and you will be just fine.

Comment from: Aunt Kitty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I just had my first and hopefully last kidney stone December 21st. They had to go in and blast it on December 28th because it was a 7 mm x 7 mm stone blocking my ureter. Now I still have the stent in and the pain is just as bad as having the stone in. They say I need the stent in 4 weeks. But they might take it out next week at the 2 week mark. They think the stone is caused by a medicine I take for migraine prevention called Topamax. It is prescribed by my neurologist so I am trying to get in there to see if I can change to a different medication.

Comment from: goldp, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I get kidney stones consistently; 3 this month already. I had many blasted, and passed many more. First they said it was tea, so I stopped. Now they are saying it is too much broccoli. In the last 2 weeks I have passed 3 stones. Two months ago I had 2 larger ones blasted and they passed. I am looking for an answer to stop the merry go round.

Comment from: khoph, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I went to the emergency room last night with pain that radiated from the front pelvic area to the back. The pain would get worse right before I vomited. The doctor did a CT scan and diagnosed a kidney stone. I told him that I have never had a kidney stone before. He said that it was due to the water in our area. I guess I am going to have to switch to bottled water.

Comment from: Simon , 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

No, my doctor did not say what she thought caused my kidney stone.

Comment from: concerned in TN, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

Perhaps exposure to accumulated fluoride in the body, especially with patients with kidney disease, could be a cause of kidney stone.

Comment from: k0long7, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I went to the emergency room with pain in my side/back and lower abdomen. I also had vomiting, cold sweats and dizziness. They gave me medicine for the pain and a CT scan to determine if I still had stones in my kidneys. I still had 2 kidney stones (one in each kidney) and 1 in my bladder. I had passed one 2 days prior and one when I had the urinary test. I live on an island that I get constant exercise and due to not drinking enough water, I ended up with 5 kidney stones. I still have 2 small kidney stones and am on pain medication.

Comment from: kkkkkkk, 55-64 (Patient) Published: May 12

My doctor said he thought hyperparathyroidism caused my kidney stones.

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I had kidney stone surgery recently. My stones were made of calcium phosphate. I am looking for a diet to help. I want to know what to do or eat to prevent this from ever happening to me again. I suspect my diet played a role in causing my kidney stones.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter