Patient Comments: Kidney Infection - Symptoms

Please describe your kidney infection symptoms. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: ElyBUK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I had ignored some flu-like symptoms (on and off fever with chills) for days and also did not take any notice of an achy back and bladder area. When I was sent home sick by the office, I decided to pop in to my local general practitioner's surgery and they told me to get to the hospital as soon as possible. It was there that my kidney infection was confirmed. Imagine if I had just continued to ignore it all and just attempted to sleep it off! I'd have probably ended up staying in the hospital for a week!

Comment from: Mark, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 27

I been having lower back pain on the right side for a while. I am being treated for a bulging disc and arthritis but the pain has been getting worse. I was taken to the emergency room after being dizzy and continuous diarrhea. At the hospital I started vomiting. My white cell count was high but no fever, no infection in my blood and no urinary tract infection. I am taking prednisone and other medicines that apparently make my immune system weak. The doctor feels that's what caused my kidney infection.

Comment from: jordan, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

Back pain, chills, fever, tingling and numbness in legs, and arms and feet turning blue are my kidney infection symptoms.

Comment from: NSA, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 10

My kidney infection symptoms are abdominal pain, vomiting, fever, and nausea.

Comment from: Ardithann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have been having spasms on the lower right side. I have had medicines for bladder and kidney infection. My urine is a heavy yellow though I drink lots of water, tea and juice. I had a cold since February 20, 2015. It goes away for a couple of days and back again. I just can't shake it. Just in the last couple of days my legs have been hurting and I am tried. I am not sleeping well. I know that it is all connected; I see my doctor on May 8th.

Comment from: Tallia, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 18

My kidney infection is not getting better, I have awful pain at the top of my hip and down my side.

Comment from: pinki300183, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I have a kidney infection with possible stones. I don't have a fever but I have pain under my chest that goes into side and groin area. I struggled to breathe at one point as the pain is so severe. I went to doctors and had no blood in urine but had protein and white blood cells. I feel like I have the flu, I ache all over and have nausea. I am currently taking trimethoprim to help.

Comment from: topspara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I've been suffering with kidney infection symptoms. I have been having groin pain and for a year, my right buttock was numb and I kept getting kidney infections but my doctor kept treating me for urine infections, even though I did have a small amount of blood in my urine. I felt like my doctor was treating me like a crazy person. I am now exhausted and still in agony. However approximately 5 months ago he finally sent me for some tests, ones I didn't think where right; colposcopy, colonoscopy, blood tests and x-ray. The hospital then took over and gave me CTs, etc., but finally an MRI. I'm waiting for the results and now have 2 more weeks to wait. I believe my femoral nerves are in some trouble so I hope they work it out soon as in these 2 years I have lost all my muscle and am so tired and have not seen my doctor since November as I can't walk and haven't been able to for 2 years.

Comment from: AnnaC, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

My kidney infection symptoms began 3 days before I finally gave in and went to the emergency room (ER). It initially started with horrible burning pain when I urinated, and frequency of urination, that lasted two days. By the third day I developed severe pain on the right side (where I already have an existing kidney stone), I also had a ton of blood in my urine from day 1. At the hospital they diagnosed me with a kidney infection because my white blood cells were extremely raised and because of the blood in my urine. They sent off my urine for a culture test and it just came back today positive for E. coli. I was told I was extremely lucky for going to the hospital when I did. They put me on an IV with antibiotics and gave me 10 days' worth. I was told if I developed a fever or began throwing up to immediately return to the ER. I've had diarrhea for two days now.

Comment from: Pat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I believe my kidney infection was caused as a result of eating an undercooked burger. I thought pink was ok but since discovered that's only ok with a steak or chop. Ground meat needs to be cooked through in case of bacteria from the outside of the meat going inside. I woke the next day with severe pain in the kidney area and had diarrhea through the day. The pain got so bad I went to hospital. Now I am on antibiotic and painkillers every 4 hours. The bacteria from the diarrhea obviously got into the urinary tract.

Comment from: jrodi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I'm a 40 year old female and have suffered 3 kidney infections in my life (currently dealing with my third). Twice prior I had to be hospitalized as I go from sick to terribly sick in a matter of 24 to 48 hours of diagnosis. My current symptoms are horrible pain in sides of mid back (near ribs) and in lower left and right abdomen. As of this morning, pain has started in my front rib cage areas and I have a feeling of just being very unwell, almost flu-like. I have dizziness, fever (mine hasn't exceeded 99.7, but still makes you feel horrible) and infrequent urination (I've only been going once very early in the morning and once at night). Initially, I had burning at the end of urination but that has subsided, which is a bad thing I was told by the emergency room (ER) doctor. That means it has moved away from your bladder and on up to your kidneys. I was feeling as though I had a lower urinary tract infection (UTI) on a Saturday, so I took home measures for that. By Monday, I was very sick and told my husband to take me to the ER. They did blood and urine work and told me I had one nasty infection that was in my kidneys. They gave me a bag of Rocephin (antibiotic), fluids, and IV pain and nausea medicine. Prescribed me Keflex, Phenergan and pain medications for home. I'm on day two of home antibiotics and getting worse. I'll probably go back this afternoon as kidney infections are nothing to mess around with.

Comment from: tlf, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I am a 48 year old female that after having three children and right after my third I started to have reoccurring urinary tract infections (UTIs) from sexual relations. I ended up in the hospital with a kidney infection due to so many UTIs and antibiotics masking symptoms. After that it was discovered that I had an enlarged bladder. I had to catheterize myself twice daily for a period of time. Things seem to get better. This past December, it became difficult for me to urinate and I needed to bear down like I was having a baby to get urine out. I have seen a local urologist who did testing and my bladder is enlarged (can get 1500 ml out between me going on my own and the rest through catheterizing myself (majority is released through catheter). Now I am experiencing UTIs constantly and yeast infections. I am miserable. I am just finishing my last pill today and my urine is still cloudy and my back (lower) is tender all the time. I am cold all the time (even in 80 degree weather, no fever) and my bladder is very sore feeling (it aches). I have not seen the urologist face to face since May. They are busy so they do a clean catheter on me each time I think I have infection. The yeast infection is being treated by my obstetrician/gynecologist and she said it was a rare form of yeast and that they had to call an infectious disease doctor for treatment. I sometime feel ache all over (elbows when lifting, collarbone, feet ache and feel swollen. I need help on my next step. I am miserable.

Comment from: Bri, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

It started as a urinary tract infection (UTI) over one week ago. I was not sure if it was a UTI or yeast infection so I waited to seek medical attention. After a few days of home remedies, UTI symptoms felt better so I still did not seek help. Than three days ago the UTI symptoms got worse again, and my lower back started to hurt on the left side. I thought it was just sore from standing all day that day. The pain feels like DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness from working out but more severe. Also more constant, no matter if I sit, stand or lay down. It was also very tender to the touch and hot. I was also exhausted and sleeping a lot. I remembered reading in an article, lower back pain during a UTI could mean it had spread to the kidneys. So I went to the doctor and they found white blood cells in my urine, confirming a UTI. Doctor also confirmed kidney pain and that the infection head spread there. I have been on antibiotics for two days but I am still in a lot of pain. I need to sleep a lot and I'm missing work. If you suspect a UTI, don't wait to see the doctor, don't let it get this far. It sucks!

Comment from: layde, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had found out I had E. coli in my kidneys some years ago and was told I was minutes from dying from renal failure. I had a high fever, chills, I couldn't lay on my back or side. The worst pain ever; I couldn't eat or drink and was in too much pain to walk. My boyfriend carried me to the hospital where they immediately admitted me and put a catheter in me and started me on medications for kidney failure. I thank him for making me go. Long term damage is kidney stones, frequent urinary tract infection (UTI) and back pain. Don't wait, get immediate treatment!

Comment from: kevin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I've been in an out of the doctor's for 1 year with kidney pains. I thought it was a hernia or ulcer but all three ultrasounds showed nothing, no blood in urine (yet), and dark cloudy color. I've asked for cameras to be shoved in me and a CAT scan and MRI, but doctors seem to want to do opposite of what you want. This is severe, flank pains, groin pains, thigh pains, chills, fever, uncontrollable sweats, I mean unreal. I need help and don't know what to do. I'm in pain every day, depressed, no energy or motivation, stressed, distracted at work, and I just graduated as an environmental technologist.

Comment from: Sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have had regular (urinary tract infections (UTIs) since I was a child and the symptoms usually improve with trimethoprim. I have felt really unwell for the past month or so. Each urinalysis has been clear bar a bit of blood, the first MSU (midstream specimen of urine) test showed something (not sure what, I will find out in the morning), I did a repeat and it was clear. I am on my second course of antibiotics and the symptoms aren"t improving. I have frequency, some pain and some flank pain but definitely bearable, not excruciating by any means. I had a renal ultrasound today which showed my kidneys are much enlarged. I am a little nauseas and have pretty awful headaches and am finding it pretty hard to concentrate at work. Definitely heading back to the doctors in the morning, would go up the hospital but I know they would just send me home.

Comment from: WIborn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

My kidney infection symptoms started about 6 days ago. It started with an unbearable, piercing pain in my right side, kind of where my kidney is, but eventually took over the whole right flank. I hated driving because I felt delirious and thought I would crash. At first I thought it was just the flu. It hurt a little to urinate, I was vomiting, had a constant fever, and my whole body ached. I passed the flank pain on as possible gas and the deliriousness as from the fever. Finally on day 3 after I noticed my pee, no matter how much water I drank, was not its normal color (has an orangish/brownish tint to it) and suffered from three nights of the worst chills and night sweats of my life, I went to see a doctor. Sure enough, it was a kidney infection. As long as I keep myself pumped full of Tylenol the fever and shakes stay away, but if I don"t take it on time it returns with a vengeance. I was told the antibiotic will take a few days to really kick in so I just lay around and waited, popping Tylenol like its candy. The vomiting and sweats still aren"t gone. That's still controlling me. I will say, that aside from internal bleeding I"ve had before, this has got to be the worst physical pain I"ve ever been in.

Comment from: Tracie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have had 2 previous severe kidney infections over the last couple of years, with sepsis (Infection in the blood) as well. Both times I was hospitalized for 5 days and administered IV antibiotics and fluids. I am in the midst of another. At the moment, I have severe, constant pain in abdomen, as well as lower back, flank pain, frequent urination and elevated temperature. Urinary analysis showed up clean, but as my doctor told me, that doesn"t mean I don"t have UTI (urinary tract infection), or kidney infection. I have been given antibiotics and they will be monitoring my condition. As I know that feeling of the pain in my flank area and abdomen, I am at the doctor"s the minute I have these signs. I can"t stress enough to listen to your body, and act as soon as possible, as it can be life threatening if left untreated. Sepsis is fatal in 50% of cases said my specialist, and needs immediate IV antibiotics. You may not have all the symptoms, but best to be checked out, even if symptoms are mild.

Comment from: sherrylp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had back pain, then right front side pain. I thought it was appendicitis. I went to the emergency room; after CT scan and urine test, diagnosis was kidney infection again! I had IV and antibiotics and was sent home with Cipro. Four days later, I made emergency room calls, I was resistant to Cipro; now am on Macrobid. More symptoms came while the Cipro wasn't working: chills, dizziness, fever, hot flashes and sleeping a lot. This is my 5th serious infection in 2 years with less serious ones also. Two different doctors and no results as to what is going on. I am very depressed this round.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

It started with sharp back pain, followed by nausea (I hadn't had anything to eat for almost 10 hours) and total exhaustion. I slept for almost 12 hours but, not restful sleep. I was in so much pain in the lower part of my stomach, my back and surprisingly, around my buttocks. I was treated at one point with bursitis (got shots for it). Well, it felt like I had a severe case of it all about my sides, buttock, thighs. The pain went down my legs. I called my new PPO (preferred provider organization) doctor. He told me to head to the hospital. I went and once there, they put me on an IV, did an EKG, took a urine sample and followed up with CT scan. About 1 1/2 hours later, I was told I was suffering with a kidney infection. I went home with an antibiotic (every 6 hours till finished) and a pain killer.

Comment from: Youngmom31, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I just left the hospital after receiving IV antibiotics and fluids for 2 days because I have a really bad kidney infection. It started a week before with flu like symptoms, aches, chills, fever shaking and really severe pain in my right back, side and all the area from my spine around to mid front and from my right hip up to my ribs. It was the most horrible pain I have ever been in. Oral Medications were just not enough. But even IV pain Medications didn't not take away all my pain. Even after being released I am still sore and weak. Now I am on oral Medications for the infection and pain. I hope when I go back to the doctor in one week it is all gone.

Comment from: sassygirl24, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I felt chills, hot and cold, I was sweating and had high fevers. The headaches were awful anytime I moved. It felt like all I did was sleep curled up in blankets for two days. I also had sore throat, heavy breathing, rib pain and low back pain. Finally I went to the doctor yesterday and doctor said I have a kidney infection, now I am on antibiotics and still have headache, no energy, and slight body ache. At least all of the other symptoms went away. My doctor said to allow 2 to 3 days to feel better, so I'm hopeful.

Comment from: rachelblynn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

About two weeks ago I started having painful/burning urination. I also noticed that my urine had a very strong odor. I have had several urinary tract infections (UTIs) in the past and have always taken Ado, over the counter medication for them, which has always been successful in the past. There are only 6 doses in each pack. By last night, I was on my third pack. Out of nowhere I started having pain in my lower right abdomen. By morning, the pain radiated all the way around my side, to my back. Moving my left leg increased the pain. I lay on a heating pad and took ibuprofen. By 9 a.m. I was in excruciating pain. I saw my doctor. He said that I waited an excessively long time before contacting him. He prescribed nitrofurantoin mono/mac 100mg, 1 capsule twice daily and phenazopyridine 100mg, 1 tablet 3 times daily. Due to my lack of getting treatment sooner, I now have a fever, runny/clogged nose, achy body, shivering regardless of temperature, and extreme fatigue. If you think you may have a UTI or kidney infection, seek medical care immediately so it doesn't progress into something far worse. I have a husband and four young children. Had I listened to my body two weeks ago and taken better care of myself, I wouldn't be useless to them right now.

Comment from: sasi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have burning sensation while urinating and it is difficult to pass urine and there is flank pain on both the sides of my back. I have undergone cystoscopy and was prescribed medicines for the kidney infection, and for 3 days pus was found in urine and I also have blood in urine.

Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have urinary tract infection (UTI) every month. I go to the bathroom before and after sex. I also wipe correctly. I am getting concerned and have a doctor appointment on Thursday to see if I have kidney infection; mostly curious.

Comment from: Penelope, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I have had urinary tract infections (UTIs) since my 20s. All along, doctors would test and say they couldn't find anything to cause the pain, fever, shivering, blood in the urine, flu like symptoms. They didn't prescribe antibiotics because there was no evidence of infection. About 10 years ago, I was on vacation and the familiar symptoms returned. The only doctor for miles around turned out to be a podiatrist. He had a 'Grey's Anatomy' and a PDR and he treated the whole town with those 2 books. He said that I should buy Bactrim. And, I got better. The next time the symptoms appeared, I began taking the Bactrim. I didn't have to go through the endless hours of pain and fever that I normally had to do to get an appointment with my doctor, and then I suspected she would just tell me that there was no infection and send me home with Prozac. I couldn't argue that I wasn't depressed. But I was depressed due to the UTI symptoms. I rarely got any treatment for that.

Comment from: aly18, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

It started with a lower back pain, I couldn't even walk; that's how bad it was. I started getting fever and my stomach started getting bloated. When I would sit down and when I would want to stand, oh man, that pain was the worst pain of my life. Once you start getting kidney infections you really need to be careful.

Comment from: BUTTERFLY, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I have intense lower back and side pain along with frequent urination. Urinalysis discovered bacteria and blood in urine.

Comment from: Roxy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I have been urinating in a very mustard color when I wake up in the morning and it does not get any lighter. I feel pain on my left side front going back and overall I feel too tired and not normal. I just want to know how to treat it and get rid of these kidney infection symptoms that are starting to worry me.

Comment from: frustratedpatient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I have blood in the urine, pain in the lower back, and weakness in legs due to kidney infection. Pelvic examination already done by gynecologist. I had recent surgery for removal of polyp in uterus, which was benign.

Comment from: debbiej, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I started having pain on my side and back on Saturday with blood in urine. Also I had lots of gas. I called my doctor and he said sounds like a urinary tract infection. I have no other symptoms, no burning or urgency to pee. I also have lack of appetite. He put me on Cipro.

Comment from: tasha, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

Kidney infections are no joke, I near died! I thought it was a really bad flu I had and took ibuprofen; they would help and I took them for 3 days and I literally couldn't walk. The ibuprofen made my stomach bleed. When you have an infection like that get it treated, don't wait get the right medications, for at the moment I've sore side, back and neck, that's straining my head and my bones are sore and tired.

Comment from: sc, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have a kidney infection now. I had no warning of infection just a dull ache under my left rib cage round to my back. Then during the night I got hot and cold sweats, severe shaking, headache, body aching, stiff neck, sore eyes, vomiting, and heavier breathing. The pain is unbearable, sometimes hard to walk, and I get shooting pains up my left side when sitting up or bending. Doctors gave me antibiotics but 2 days later nothing has improved and I'm still feeling the same. The doctor told me I have a bad kidney infection but this is the worst pain I've ever felt. I've been drinking plenty of cranberry juice and barely water as advised by the doctor.

Comment from: thepoo2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had been feeling fine with a slight ache in my back. I coached twelve recreational volleyball games for my two daughters and then went to work at the grocery store. By 7:00pm it hurt to move my left leg. I have always had kidney infections and Genamicyn was one of the few antibiotics that worked on me, but this did not feel like those previous infections. I went to the ER thinking maybe I just had another infection. I expected to pee in a cup, get antibiotics and pain meds and go home. But after I got there and they made me lay down, the pain was excruciating. Turned out I had a stone blocking my right kidney completely. We do not know how long it had been like that. I had surgery the next day, and suffered through three more kidney surgeries for the 6 other stones. My final surgery was a year later when they removed a stone from the bottom back of my right kidney that took up 5% of my kidney. That was a year ago, and I am still suffering with reoccurring infections and almost daily pain from the trauma my kidney experienced.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I believe I had a UTI in February of this year, in which I was treated with Bacterium. But, come May of this year, I started feeling the same symptoms again. Dizziness, headaches, some marked confusion in concentration, shaking, sweating at times, chills at times and dull pain or discomfort in the lower back area. So, I had a refill on the Bacterium, so I refilled and starting taking again for 5-7 days. Well, I was drinking fluids, but not enough. I ended up in emergency for just not feeling well and feeling like I wanted to faint on two occasions. The doctors told me I was dehydrated and severely fatigued. All urine and blood tests came back pristine! I still had the antibiotic Bacterium in my system. A week and half later or two, it again started. I went to my family doctor and was told I had a Kidney infection and treated with Levaquin. I sure hope this works. I do feel a little better, but recovery is slow. It's been day 4 for me. I do have more energy and don't have the back pain, shaking, headaches or confusion. I still have some chills and tiredness. I assume it takes time. I have a 7 days regime of meds to do yet.

Comment from: teenagersmom, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 26

Speaking for my 17 year old daughter. She felt tired, loss of appetite, dizziness and intermittent nausea for several weeks and had lost about 10 pounds without trying. Other symptoms were headache, anxiety, feeling hot and cold. She had a swollen lymph node and was treated with an antiviral. Because she was also going through intense examinations at school we weren't exactly sure what was stress, what was illness. Two days ago she began to have flu like symptoms. We had done blood work shortly after she got sick for the other long term symptoms but thought she was now fighting off a virus. She had pain on the left side of her stomach, under her rib cage. Fever went up to 102, but would go down okay with ibuprofen or Tylenol. Extreme fatigue, headaches, sleeping all the time, changed between feeling very cold and very hot. She had no typical UTI symptoms, burning or significant increase in urination. Urine test revealed possible UTI and doctor finally called it as a kidney infection. She's on antibiotics now.

Comment from: luckeymommy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I had three minor UTI's when I was pregnant with my 18 month old daughter and I am very familiar with the symptoms. (Peeing frequently, burning while urinating...etc.). Over the past month I have been getting severe cramps on my left side, but no other symptoms of a UTI. Being a single mom, I don't have much time to get to the doctor. Well, yesterday I woke up with severe pains in my left flank. Thinking I had slept wrong and pulled a muscle, I treated it with vapor rub, and took some Aleve. It didn't treated my problem. After getting one hour of sleep all night, I finally went to the ER and found out it was a kidney infection, not muscle problems. It's been six hours since my first dose of meds. I am feeling a little nauseous, but it is well worth it. Get into the hospital with any kind of unusual symptoms. They only get worse without treatment.

Comment from: mum, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I have had pain on my left side but it seems to move around, sometimes it is very severe. It makes me wince suddenly. I have had it on and off for about a year. I took urine into the clinic. I had to start antibiotics straight away, but I was only given 10 pills 2 a day for 5 days will this clear it. I have had rods inserted in my back 3 months ago, and had an infection in the hospital. I had to stay for 5 weeks on IV's. Then 6 weeks after being on antibiotics I came home, but still the pain has persisted on my left side. I also have problems now with my left hip, waiting to see consultant about that. I am so fed up with it. I have no energy; I cannot walk very far without my crutches, now I am in and out of bed all night. Will this trimethoprim clear my infection in 5 days.

Comment from: sweets87, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have had several kidney infections and once hospitalized for three days. I now believe I have a serious kidney infection again, but am a single mom with not much money and I can't afford to really go to a doctor. It hit me very suddenly just three days ago and I have literally been in excruciating pain. My left kidney is throbbing and its making it very difficult to stand at times and it hurts worse than ever to breathe deep. It feels like its stretching and going to rip. The pain is horrific. I feel very faint at times and extremely nauseous. Breathing and standing is becoming more difficult for me. I can no longer pick up my son. I don't think I have a fever and it doesn't hurt to pee, but I have been peeing more frequently. My left side of my abdomen is now starting to hurt beyond bad as well. I never had the excruciating pain when I would breathe deep. Does anyone have suggestions or has anyone experienced the difficulty breathing?.

Comment from: mandaJ, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I started having symptoms about a week ago. It started with night sweets and just not feeling myself during the day. The third day I did have blood in my urine and knew there was something going on. By the fourth day I was having unbearable pain in my left flank area, I went to urgent care, they took a urine sample and told me it was probably kidney stones, but they wouldn't know for 3 more days while they had my urine cultured. I was prescribed pain pills and went home, waited three more days in extreme pain with vomiting. The results of my culture came back negative? So I went to the ER because my symptoms were not going away, they diagnosed me immediately with a severe kidney infection. After 3 days on antibiotics. I am finally starting to feel better, hoping this never comes back. If anyone has suggestions in preventing future kidney infections aside from drinking lots of water and cranberry Please, please let me know.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

A few years back I had high fever, dull back pain on my right side and vomiting a lot. I went to the doctor and they sent me to the hospital due to a kidney infection. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks because I had really high fever and vomited a lot and nothing seems to be helping. Finally, 2 days without fever I was able to go home. 4 years later I was getting UTIs all the time they ran test after test to find out what might be causing them, but nothing would come up. Finally, I guess one medicine worked and I did not get one for awhile. I know I have one again so I started to drink lots of water and started to take AZO which helps with the pain. I haven't had any fever, but I do have this pain in my back and all my other symptoms have disappeared. Has anyone ever just had pain in their back? Also, to the person who say's they don't know if they should go to the doctor. From the sounds of your symptoms you should go to the doctor. If you let it get worse you could end up in the hospital like me and that's going to cost you a lot more. I had my symptoms for 2 days only before I went and because I did not get on medication right away it got really bad. Sorry to say this but there is no way around it. You have to see a doctor if it's gotten to your kidney's.

Comment from: Sophia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

It started as a urinary infection (cystitis).The doctor gave me medication and I had a urinary sample sent for testing. The doctor said that she was going to let me know if I needed different medication, as soon as she gets the results from the test. She didn't, so after a few days I started having severe pains in the right side of my belly and my back. I started loosing my appetite and I had the fever and chills. I went to a different doctor, at the same medical center, to find out that according to the results of the urine test I was taking the wrong medication all this time, causing the infection to move to the kidney!

Comment from: michelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I felt a little cold on Friday morning and at 8pm started shivering badly. I went to bed and although I was cold inside I was boiling on the outside. Had a very uncomfortable night, but the next morning I felt well again. I thought I was going in for flu but stayed well until Sunday when at exactly the same time the shivers started again. The one thing I really noticed was the whites of my eyes were completely red. Low and behold after an even worse night than Friday I got up and felt normal again. Because it all seemed so bizarre I went to the GP who said I had a UTI. I hurt my back recently and now that is better I can feel a dull ache on the left side of my back. I think the back injury was masking this. One other thing I remembered was I went to the toilet a week before and when I wiped there was blood on the tissue, this never happened again. My results will be back on Thursday so will be interesting to see if it is a UTI.

Comment from: coastie_lady, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I had no symptoms prior to my infection becoming serious. I felt fine, then out of the blue my whole body started to ache. I was running a fever of almost 105 off and on, and vomiting. At some points I had a hard time even walking around, but only had dull back pain. I thought I had the flu at first, but after two days of it, a racing heart beat, and severe shakes, I went to the hospital and ended up being put on IVS, pumped with potassium, and antibiotics for a severe kidney infections. I had to go back two days later have the same thing done, and my antibiotics changed because nothing had gotten better. It was the worst I have ever felt in my life. I had no problems or pain urinating to warn me of a possible infection. So if you are having these symptoms and it doesn't get better with over the counter meds, go get checked. You may not have the initial warning symptoms.

Comment from: wktx, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

At first, I thought I had strained my lower back but, after three days of resting, it only worsened. The pain was mostly on my left side. However, I felt it all the way across my lower flank. It worsened upon sitting or bending. It wasn't until the doctor took a urine sample that I found out it was a kidney infection.

Comment from: james, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I have had hydronephrosis of the right kidney. The obstruction of urine is said to be caused by constriction of right ureter.

Comment from: zaara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

My symptom of kidney infection was blood drops found near kidney.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

My symptoms are bad pain on the left side and back and feeling unwell.

Comment from: Precious6, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

What kinds of symptoms do people have before going to the doctor or ER for treatment? I'm very tired and have fatigue, puffiness around the eyes, lower back pain, and nausea and vomiting.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

Fifteen days post percutaneous kidney biopsy. Have had continued back pain, developed nausea, chills, fatigue, no fever. Lab performed post procedure, low iron etc. no mention of UTI. Called doctor about the symptoms and was told sounds like a UTI and was prescribed an antibiotic for seven days. Don't feel too bad during the day, but at night start feeling bad, nausea, chills etc.

Comment from: aah, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

A week ago I knew I had a UTI. I didn't go to the doctor as I have had them before and if I stopped drinking soda the UTI would go away. It's been over a week. I went to Urgent Care due to my doctor not able to get me in. He prescribed Cipro. I have vomited, urine is orange, and my body now aches all over. Before I was on the meds I felt okay just burned when I went to the restroom and had to go frequently. Has anyone else had this experience? Is this normal or is it not the Cipro causing this?

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I have several kidney infections in my lifetime, starting when I was about six years. I remember being hospitalized when I was young. This one started with back pain and vomiting, and temp of 103. My prescription is gone as of today. Should I go back in to doctor and have it checked or just trust that it is gone? I had a gum infection prior and was on three different rounds of antibiotics.

Comment from: spiffy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

When I had kidney infection about a month ago I had every one of the symptoms described, nausea, tiredness, ridiculously painful back pain, etc. I was prescribed Cipro and was told to take it twice a day till every pill was gone. It took a long time till the pain was gone. But once I broke my fever by drinking hot green tea with lemon and laying in a blanket for twenty-four hours most of the pain was gone. I felt fully better about two days before all of the pills were gone. I wasn't prescribed any pain pills so I just took Tylenol and used thermacare heat wraps.

Comment from: Joyce, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

My symptoms are severe headache, sore eyeballs, neck stiff and sore, dizzy, sick at my stomach after I eat, chills running over me even when I am not hot or cold. I went to the doctor and he found a bladder infection, said it was a whopper of an infection. However, I have no bladder infection symptoms and no fever. I am starting Bactrum today. Could it be something beside a bladder infection.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 22

My back is killing me and I can't get comfortable. I lay down and sit and its also hard to walk, my backs feels arched and hurts constantly.

Comment from: Jen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

Monday I started getting pain in my lower back and well as pain under my rib cage. I have not had any problems when I use the bathroom but I have been nauseous. It is now Wednesday and the pain in my back is horrible. I have not been running a fever or anything. I am not sure what to do.

Comment from: Patsy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I have had pain in my lower back for the past four weeks. My Doctor has asked me for three urine samples and has submitted them to a Laboratory. After the first report which showed a small amount of blood in my urine, he prescribed a tablet containing sulphur. When I had completed the entire prescription, another urine sample indicated protein in my urine. I was prescribed Ranciproflox. I completed the prescription, but still have the pain.

Comment from: Heather, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I have had 4 kidney infections in the past year. I don't understand why. I wipe from front to back, I drink tons of water in a day. I even take cranberry pills daily to help. But they keep coming. I get a fever, nausea and my back is in extreme pain. It's the same every time. My back are where my kidneys are is also extremely sore and hard as a rock.

Comment from: Magdelynne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I am a 53 year old female with fibromyalgia. Because I live with chronic pain I don't pay close attention to pains. I had low energy Weds til Friday with mild nausea. I did note cloudy urine and made mental note to self to drink more water! Friday night had a coughing attack out of the blue which exhausted me and caused chest pain. Have had increase in hot flashes too. I went to bed early. Felt general malaise all day Saturday with light-handedness. While cooking dinner Saturday, became terribly nauseous and dizzy, went to bed. Somewhere in all this I became aware that I had UTI/bladder pain and symptoms (of increased urination) so Sunday began drinking plain cranberry juice. Here it is Monday morning and I still feel awful, I am at work, and wondering if I should go see my doctor to rule out bladder/kidney infection.

Comment from: tikya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I have been experiencing numbness in the whole left leg when I needed to urinate. I don't feel the urge that I need to go the bath room, instead I feel numbness and that's the time I need to go to the bathroom. I have no fever or anything is, just my sciatic nerve is being numb and I have some uncomfortable feeling in the left leg. I urinate very little as well.

Published: June 08

It was a week after a laparoscopic procure. I started to experience severe back pain (low back pain) and vagina bleeding. At first I thought it was related to the procedure, but 4 days later the pain was still there. On the 5th day I went to urgent care, after a urinalysis they said I had a kidney infection. These symptoms were different for a UTI from previous ones. I still think the bacteria might have been introduced to my bladder during catheterization for my laparoscopic procedure.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had a mild UTI that I self-treated with lots of water and unsweetened cranberry juice, and believed that I was successful, as my symptoms had abated. About a week later, those symptoms (burning during urination, frequent urges) came back, and I also had pain and tenderness in my right lower back and side, and was sweating a bit too much for the current weather. I really didn't feel that bad and almost didn't see a doctor! I was glad that I did when they told me that if I let it go much longer I might have needed IV antibiotics. My doctor also told me that cranberry juice is good for reducing symptoms of a UTI, but that it does not act as an antibacterial, so really, it just masks the problem. Next time I get a UTI I go straight to my health care professional.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I was in a lot of pain around my lower chest/rib cage. I thought I must have a chest infection, but couldn't understand how because I had no cough or other chest symptoms. I also went from feeling fine to being almost unable to stand with fever and flu like symptoms within about 2-3 hours. It turned out to be a kidney infection.

Comment from: kelli, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I have severe pain in my left kidney and sometimes goes to my middle lower back and right kidney pain takes my breath when I move to a different position. I am dizzy all the time.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I do not have health insurance and I think that I have a kidney infection is there anything that I can take besides antibiotics because I don't have a lot of money either. Symptoms; painful urination (no burning), cloudy urine (no smell), lower back pain and chills and fevers for the last two days.

Comment from: Sabrina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I started feeling nauseous and went to visit the doctor on a Tuesday. I did a urine test and I had some bacteria but wasn't given anything for it only anti-nausea meds. The following afternoon I had weird sharp pains in my back on the right side below my ribs, this escalated to extreme pain and pangs or cramping in my lower right side of my stomach on Thursday. I was admitted to the hospital I had another urine test done and was informed that I had a severe kidney infection and bladder infection. I continued experiencing nausea and was given Cipro. After 7 days of which 5 in the hospital, I am still nauseous and the infection is no better. I am now using Augmentin any suggestions?

Comment from: KidneyOUCH!, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I had a kidney infection, which I was in the hospital for 5 days. It was a bladder infection that moved to my kidneys. This happened in November. Now it's May and I still have the same symptoms, just not as bad. I don't know what to do! They never told me what to avoid or what to do different. So now I'm stuck with painful kidneys, hoping I don't have to go back to the hospital. I bet if I had my own insurance and not Medi-Cal they would have taken better care and time with me.

Comment from: lbuggy65, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I think I have this kidney infection AGAIN. This will make the third one. I have the pain in my left side and I am urinating a lot. I do not want to take antibiotics again. I was hospitalized over a year ago for a serious kidney infection and since I have been getting them regularly. I feel great besides the pain and I do not have any burning while I urinate. I do not want to take drugs anymore.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I started to hurt in my back with no warning during the night. By the next morning I was running a temp of 102.7 and nausea had set in. The next few hours were only worse, my temp went up and I started to vomit. I went to the ER and was admitted to the hospital for 4 days getting IV fluids w/potassium and antibiotics. It was horrible pain and I had no warning for this infection.

Comment from: tracy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have lower back pain on one side during the night. I am unable to sleep and agitated. After urinating in the morning I have dull back pain in the same place.

Comment from: di, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have lower back aches. Some stomach pains off and on, severe at times then gone for a few days, then back pain again and stomach pains again less intense. I do not have pain with urinating, but do feel I have to go a lot urgently. No blood in the urine. I have been feeling this way for 6 days.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter