Patient Comments: Kidney Failure - Dialysis

What is it like to receive dialysis? Please share your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: juana, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I am 26 years old and I am a dialysis patient. For me dialysis is not as bad as it looks like. Before I started dialysis I used to say that dialysis would be the worst thing that could ever happen to me. I started dialysis in April, 2017 I started as a hemodialysis patient and I used to like it when I was getting my dialysis by my chest catheter, but when they started cannulating me I used to hate going because I'm a scary cat for needles. But then I had to get another surgery because my vein was no good, so that's when I decided to go for peritoneal dialysis (PD). Now I am doing PD at home and I love it; no more pokes and I feel so much better. I don't feel weak anymore and I don't get as cold as I used to when I was in hemodialysis. Well, this is my experience with my dialysis and I would like to tell you guys to keep yourself strong and you will get through dialysis.

Comment from: martha, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I am a dialysis patient, I have received dialysis for the last three years and I feel so much better than not to have it! I was retired before because of sickness, and with the treatments I am working a part time job and enjoying it! It slows me down but you cannot let it control you.

Comment from: Been there, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

Dialysis is a difficult treatment, however sometimes it is the only option. At first you will feel weak and cold, always bring a blanket! Your blood pressure can drop, making you feel even worse. Remember, the dialysis is cleaning your blood but it is also sucking everything else out of you as well. Expect to feel pretty crummy the first few times, but hopefully you will get better at tolerating it the more you have it. The big hope is that it will be a temporary treatment and your kidneys will start functioning again on their own. With all my hope this will be the case for you! It was for me.

Comment from: moonriver, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 20

To receive dialysis feels extremely cold, and the room is bitterly cold.

Comment from: Pete, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 16

On November 13th my husband came home from work bent over double with his stomach hurting. We took him to the emergency room and he was told that he had kidney failure. Now he is doing dialysis 3 times a week he gets so weak and cold. We don't know if he's going to have to stay on them but we are hoping that he doesn't. He seems to be getting stronger each time.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter