Patient Comments: Kidney Failure - Diagnosis

Describe the events and tests that led to a diagnosis of kidney failure. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: millie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I had blood work done two weeks ago, I got the results on 6-16-2014. I could not believe it when the doctor's office called and said I need to have an ultra sound of the kidneys. My reading was 128, I need treatment for kidney failure.

Comment from: BILL, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I have swelling in my lower legs, swollen ankles, and shortness of breath, which led to a diagnosis of kidney failure.

Comment from: Jean, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I was given two shots of Prolia and blood tests showed I was in kidney failure stage 4.

Comment from: hangininthere, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

In September last year I was admitted to the hospital for shortness of breath, nausea, chest pain, and edema. My family thought that I was having a heart attack. They performed a heart catherization to find that my heart is in above average condition, however, my kidney's are failing. At that time, my GFR was 77, now 9 months later it is at 34 (Stage 3). My nephrologist stated after a biopsy that I have Membraneous Glomerule Nephitis, which is the slowly progression type of CKD, and not to worry. He is convinced that he can cure me with steriods, but has not began treatment and told me that I will not need dialysis. If my function declined from 77 to 34 in 9 months, I do not consider that a slow decline. I have severe edema in my feet, legs arm and sometimes in my face, severe anemia, flank pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and fatigue. I have not began steroid treatment due to a major infection in my foot. Can anyone tell me if they have had success with steroid treatment for Stage 3 kidney failure? I need some honest feedback please.

Comment from: deekaye, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

My symptoms started with extreme exhaustion, nausea, leg aches, cramps, sleep problems, headaches, confusion, and horrible itching on the left side of my back at the location of my kidney – with no apparent rash. If you experience any of these symptoms, ask for kidney testing to be performed. As soon as I found out, I cut out dairy, sugar, and meat from my diet – which has helped.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter