Patient Comments: Kidney Failure - Diet

What changes have you made to your diet since you were diagnosed with kidney failure? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Paul, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm 55 and I've had diabetes for 52 years (type 1), and I was told 20 years ago that I would be on dialysis in 3 years. After much research and trial I have been able to keep my kidneys working by a diet low in protein and high in green leafy vegetables and I take alpha lipoic acid tablets 600mg per day plus other herbs. Exercise is important and good rest.

Comment from: Riaz Muhammad , 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 25

I am chronic kidney disease (CKD) patient since 25 years both my kidneys are small in size and shape with RPD (renal pelvis dilatation). My creatinine level is high at 9.79, and urea level is 137. Both levels are up and down. My hemoglobin level is low with calcium and uric acid levels high, along with triglyceride and PTH (parathyroid hormone) levels. My GFR (glomerular filtration rate) is very low and my urine volume is so reduced and now further reduced. I am also a hypertension patient and use medication for control, and many more medications for treatment of CKD. I did a lot of treatment.

Comment from: VeganJenn123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I was diagnosed about 7 years ago with chronic kidney disease. I took medications regularly and traveled a lot. Sometimes I would miss my medications when I was traveling. I got sick and my mom came to take care of me. I went to a new doctor who recommended a low-protein diet. It's been 4 ½ years now and I feel great!

Comment from: Vicki, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

Diabetic, heart disease, high blood pressure. Diagnosed with chronic kidney failure three months ago. I was told to stop using anti-inflammatory drugs which I was really bad about taking. I also was told to cut back on my protein intake. I was eating a lot of protein because it really helped my blood sugar numbers. I really don't know what to eat and what to avoid!

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter