Patient Comments: Kidney Failure - Diet

What changes have you made to your diet since you were diagnosed with kidney failure? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Paul, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm 55 and I've had diabetes for 52 years (type 1), and I was told 20 years ago that I would be on dialysis in 3 years. After much research and trial I have been able to keep my kidneys working by a diet low in protein and high in green leafy vegetables and I take alpha lipoic acid tablets 600mg per day plus other herbs. Exercise is important and good rest.

Comment from: VeganJenn123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I was diagnosed about 7 years ago with chronic kidney disease. I took medications regularly and traveled a lot. Sometimes I would miss my medications when I was traveling. I got sick and my mom came to take care of me. I went to a new doctor who recommended a low-protein diet. It's been 4 ½ years now and I feel great!

Comment from: Vicki, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

Diabetic, heart disease, high blood pressure. Diagnosed with chronic kidney failure three months ago. I was told to stop using anti-inflammatory drugs which I was really bad about taking. I also was told to cut back on my protein intake. I was eating a lot of protein because it really helped my blood sugar numbers. I really don't know what to eat and what to avoid!

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter