Kidney failure can occur from an acute event or a chronic condition or disease. Prerenal kidney failure is caused by blood loss, dehydration, or medication. Some of the renal causes of kidney failure include sepsis, medications, rhabdomyolysis, multiple myeloma, and acute glomerulonephritis.
Post renal causes of kidney failure include bladder obstruction, prostate problems, tumors, or kidney stones.Treatment options included diet, medications, or dialysis.Read more: Kidney Failure (Symptoms, Signs, Stages, Causes, Treatment, and Life Expectancy) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Type 2 Diabetes Diagnosis, Treatment, Medication
Learn about type 2 diabetes warning signs, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment options. Read how diet and exercise can help manage...
Diabetes Diet: Healthy Meal Plans for Diabetes-Friendly Eating
Discover the best and worst meals for diabetes-savvy dining. See how to avoid carbs and control your blood sugar with healthier...
Dehydration: Causes, Symptoms & Tips to Stay Hydrated
Do you know the signs of dehydration? Dehydration can cause medical complications. Learn the causes, symptoms, treatments, and...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Quiz: Symptoms, Signs & Causes
Take this quiz and test your IQ of high blood pressure (hypertension), the cardiovascular disease that causes most strokes and...
Diabetes Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the Diabetes Quiz and learn the causes, signs, symptoms, and types of this growing epidemic. What does diabetes have to do...
Kidney Disease Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Kidney disease is common. Take this kidney disease quiz to test your knowledge and learn the symptoms, causes and types of kidney...
Picture of Abdomen
The abdomen (commonly called the belly) is the body space between the thorax (chest) and pelvis. See a picture of the Abdomen and...
Picture of Kidneys
The kidneys are a pair of organs located in the back of the abdomen. See a picture of the Kidneys and learn more about the health...
Type 1 Diabetes: What Are The Symptoms?
What is type 1 diabetes? Is there a cure for type 1 diabetes? Learn about type 1 diabetes symptoms, warning signs, causes, and...
Blood Sugar Swings: Tips for Managing Diabetes & Glucose Levels
Learn to better control your glucose levels by preventing blood sugar swings. Beware of caffeine, sugary foods, spices, exercise,...
Pictures of Famous People With Diabetes
See pictures of celebrities that have been diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes including Mary Tyler Moore, Salma Hayek, and...
Diabetes Management Tips and Preventing Complications
Learn 10 simple ways to better manage your diabetes. See tips for controlling blood sugar, diet and exercise and other helpful...
Pictures of 10 Muscle-Building Exercises for Diabetes
Watch this slideshow on Diabetes and Exercise. If you have diabetes, see how strengthening your muscles with these 10 weight...
Related Disease Conditions
Kidney Pain (Location, Symptoms, Relief)
Kidney pain has a variety of causes and symptoms. Infection, injury, trauma, bleeding disorders, kidney stones, and less common...
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension)
Low blood pressure, also referred to as hypotension, is blood pressure that is so low that it causes symptoms or signs due to the...
Cirrhosis of the liver refers to a disease in which normal liver cells are replaced by scar tissue caused by alcohol and viral...
Hiccups (Causes, Cures, Remedies, and Medicine)
Hiccups are a sudden, involuntary contraction of the diaphragm muscle. In general hiccups are just a temporary condition. Some of...
Pulmonary edema (swelling or fluid in the lungs) can either be caused by cardiogenic causes (congestive heart failure, heart...
Edema is the swelling of tissues as a result of excess water accumulation. Peripheral edema occurs in the feet and legs. There...
Sepsis (blood poisoning) is a potentially deadly infection with signs and symptoms that include elevated heart rate, low or high...
Ascites, the accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity is most commonly caused by cirrhosis of the liver. Some of the other...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Gynecomastia (Enlarged Male Breasts Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments)
Gynecomastia, an enlargement of the gland tissue in the male breast is the caused by an imbalance of hormones. Certain medical...
Gout (Gouty Arthritis)
Buildup of uric acid crystals in a joint causes gouty arthritis. Symptoms and signs include joint pain, swelling, heat, and...
E. coli (0157:H7) (Symptoms, Treatment, Prevention)
There are many types of E. coli (Escherichia coli). E. coli can cause urinary tract and bladder infections, or lead to sepsis. E...
Peripheral Vascular Disease
Peripheral vascular disease (PVD) refers to diseases of the blood vessels (arteries and veins) located outside the heart and...
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Dehydration is the excessive loss of body water. There are a number of causes of dehydration including heat exposure, prolonged...
Hyperkalemia (High Blood Potassium) Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
Hyperkalemia is an abnormally high level of potassium in the blood. Hyperkalemia symptoms include nausea, fatigue, tingling...
Peripheral Neuropathy (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment Medications)
Peripheral neuropathy is a problem with the functioning of the nerves outside of the spinal cord. Symptoms may include numbness,...
Dry skin (xeroderma) may be caused by external factors, like cold temperatures, low humidity, harsh soaps, and certain...
Rhabdomyolysis is a rapid deterioration and destruction of skeletal muscle. Some of the causes of rhabdomyolysis include:...
Pleural effusion is a buildup of fluid in the chest or on the lungs. There are two types of pleural effusion, trandsudate and...
Encephalopathy means brain disease, damage, or malfunction. Causes of encephalopathy are varied and numerous. The main symptom of...
Restless Leg Syndrome (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment Medications, Home Remedies)
Restless leg syndrome (RLS) is a common cause for painful legs that typically eases with motion, and becomes worse and more...
Lupus (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or SLE)
Systemic lupus erythematosus is a condition characterized by chronic inflammation of body tissues caused by autoimmune disease....
Lymphedema is a condition in which one or more extremities become swollen as the result of an impaired flow of the lymphatic...
Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium) Symptoms, Signs, Causes, Diet, Treatment
Hyponatremia is a condition in which the levels of sodium in the blood is too low. Some of the symptoms of hyponatremia include...
Multiple myeloma is a form of cancer that develops in plasma cells, the white blood cells that make antibodies. Symptoms include...
Hydronephrosis describes swelling of the kidney resulting from the inability of urine to drain from the kidney into the bladder....
Malaria is a disease that is spread by the bite of an infected Anopheles mosquito. Malaria symptoms include fever, chills,...
Burns (First Aid)
Burn types are based on their severity: first-degree burns, second-degree burns, and third-degree burns. First-degree burns are...
Diabetes insipidus is a condition in which the patient has frequent urination. Symptoms of diabetes insipidus include irritable,...
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count)
Thrombocytopenia (low platelet count) refers to a decreased number of platelets in the blood. Symptoms of thrombocytopenia...
Pericarditis (Symptoms, ECG, Types, Causes, Treatment)
Pericarditis is the inflammation of the pericardial sac that surrounds the heart. The causes of pericarditis include injury from...
Arsenic comes in two forms, inorganic and organic. Organic arsenic poisoning is usually not poisonous to humans; however,...
Swollen Ankles and Swollen Feet
Swollen ankles and swollen feet is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition such as edema, medications, pregnancy,...
Compartment syndrome is a condition in which swelling and an increase in pressure within a limited space presses and compresses...
High Blood Pressure Treatment (Natural Home Remedies, Diet, Medications)
High blood pressure (hypertension) means high pressure (tension) in the arteries. Treatment for high blood pressure include...
Flakka (also known as "bath salts" or a number of other slang names) is a dangerous synthetic or "designer" drug. Users take it...
Amyloidosis is a group of diseases resulting from abnormal deposition of certain proteins (amyloids) in various bodily areas. The...
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which a person's pancreas does not produce enough insulin to meet the needs of the body....
Is E. coli Contagious? (Symptoms and Cure)
E. coli is an infection found worldwide. There are several subtypes of the E. coli species. E. coli is transmitted from...
Fabry Disease (Symptoms and Life Expectancy)
Fabry disease (Fabry's disease, alpha-galactosidase-A) is a genetic disorder with symptoms such as burning sensations in...
Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococci (VRE)
Vancomycin-resistant enterococci (VRE) infection is the most common type of infection acquired by patients while hospitalized....
Heat exhaustion is a milder form of heat-related illness that can develop after several days of exposure to high temperatures and...
Scleroderma is an autoimmune disease of the connective tissue. It is characterized by the formation of scar tissue (fibrosis) in...
Hypercalcemia (Elevated Calcium Levels)
Hypercalcemia is a condition in which calcium levels in the blood are elevated. Hypercalcemia is associated with other conditions...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Vasculitis (Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Types)
Vasculitis (arteritis, angiitis) is a general term for a group of uncommon diseases which feature inflammation of the blood...
Diabetic Ketoacidosis (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Complications)
Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a complication of type 1 diabetes that is life threatening. If a person thinks they may have...
Pulmonary Hypertension (Symptoms, Treatment Medications, Life Expectancy)
Pulmonary hypertension is an increase pressure in the pulmonary arteries that carry blood from the lungs to the heart. The most...
Second Source article from Government...
Palpitations (Causes and Symptoms)
Palpitations are uncomfortable sensations of the heart beating hard, rapidly, or irregularly. Some types of palpitations are...
Preeclampsia and Eclampsia
Preeclampsia is a condition in pregnant women marked by high blood pressure and a high level of protein in the urine. Eclampsia...
Peritonitis is a bacterial infection inside of the abdomen. Some doctors choose to group the causes of peritonitis into five...
Hyperparathyroidism is a disorder of the parathyroid glands. There are two types of hyperparathyroidism, primary and secondary....
Renal osteodystrophy is a bone disease. The kidneys fail to maintain required levels of phosphorous and calcium in the blood....
Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome
Hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) is a diseases in which blood clots within the capillaries. Causes associated with HUS...
Hypertensive Kidney Disease
High blood pressure can damage the kidneys and is one of the leading causes of kidney failure (end-stage renal kidney disease)....
Renal Artery Stenosis
Renal artery stenosis is a narrowing of the diameter of the renal arteries. When the renal arteries narrow, the result is...
Yellow fever is an infectious disease transmitted by infected mosquitoes. Side effects are rare with the yellow fever vaccine....
Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD)
Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is characterized by numerous cysts in the kidneys. Polycystic kidney disease is a genetic...
Diabetes and Kidney Disease
In the United States diabetes is the most common cause of kidney failure. High blood pressure and high levels of blood glucose...
Microsporidiosis is an infection caused by the microsporidia parasite. The disease is uncommon in people with normal immune...
Kidney dysplasia is a condition in which one or both of a baby's kidneys do not develop normally. In kidney dysplasia, cysts...
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF)
Rocky Mountain spotted fever is a tick-borne disease that causes symptoms and signs such as fever, rash, headache, and muscle...
MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome)
MERS-CoV (Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus) infection can be spread through respiratory secretions. Symptoms include...
Burkitt lymphomas are types of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma that affect the bone marrow and central nervous system. There are multiple...
Is Cholera Contagious?
Cholera is an infectious disease caused by the bacteria Vibrio cholerae. It's typically transmitted via infected fecal matter....
Viral Hemorrhagic Fever
Viral hemorrhagic fever(s), or VHFs are a group of illnesses caused by distinct families of viruses. Many of these viruses are...
Essential Mixed Cryoglobulinemia
Essential mixed cryoglobulinemia is a condition caused by abnormal blood proteins called cryoglobulins. Symptoms include joint...
Alport syndrome is a genetic condition that causes kidney disease, hearing loss, and vision loss in affected individuals....
Enterovirulent E. coli (EEC)
Enterovirulent Escherichia coli (E. coli) are strains of related bacteria that have a strong propensity to cause gastrointestinal...
Tuberous Sclerosis Complex (TSC)
Tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC) is a rare genetic disease caused by defects on two genes. The signs and symptoms of TSC vary...
Disease Prevention in Men
Disease prevention in men includes routine screening tests that are part of basic prevention medicine. Take an active role in...
Local ResourcesFind a local Nephrologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Creatinine (Low, High, Blood Test Results Explained)
- Hemoglobin (Low and High Range Causes)
- Erythropoietin (EPO Test)
- Blood Transfusion
- Pneumococcal Vaccination (Pneumonia Vaccine)
- CT Scan (Computerized Tomography)
- Hemodialysis (Treatment for Kidney Failure)
- Cloudy Urine
- Shortness of Breath (Dyspnea)
- Loss of Appetite
- Leg Swelling
- Fatigue, Tiredness, and Lethargy
- Weight Gain
- Low Urine Output
- Swollen Ankles and/or Swollen Feet
- Altered Mental Status
- Erectile Dysfunction (Impotence)
- Bad Breath
- Loss of Temperature Sensation
- Breast Discharge (Nipple Discharge)
- Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach)
- Decreased Appetite
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Seizure (Epilepsy)
- Kidney Failure
- Restless Leg Syndrome
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- High Blood Pressure FAQs
- Diabetes FAQs
- Kidney Disease FAQs
- Abdominal Pain Causes
- ARBs & ACE Inhibitors...Powerful Blood Pressure Treatment
- ARBs and ACE Inhibitors..Hidden Benefits
- Symptoms of MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome or MERS-CoV) Virus Infection
- Lupus Nephritis Treatment
- Rhabdomyolysis Symptoms and Causes
- Sickle Trait and Sickle Cell Disease
- E. coli Infection Facts
- Pain Relievers and High Blood Pressure
- Low Blood Pressure During Pregnancy
Medications & Supplements
- ACE Inhibitors (Side Effects, List of Names, Uses, and Dosage)
- Aldactone (spironolactone)
- Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers (ARBs)
- furosemide (Lasix)
- Thiazides (Diuretics)
- lisinopril (Zestril, Prinivil, Qbrelis) ACE Inhibitor
- Calcium Channel Blockers (CCBs)
- ramipril (Altace)
- torsemide (Demadex)
- captopril (Capoten)
- albumin human (Albuked-5, Albuked-25, Albuminar-5, Albuminar-25, Alburx, Albutein, Buminate)
- hydrochlorothiazide (Microzide, Hydrodiuril)
- calcitriol - injection, Calcijex
- mycophenolate mofetil (CellCept)
- enalapril (Vasotec, Epaned)
- benazepril (Lotensin HTC)
- mannitol (Osmitrol)
- levocarnitine (Carnitor)
- trandolapril (Mavik)
- calcium acetate (PhosLo)
- calcitriol (Rocaltrol)
- darbepoetin alfa - injection, Aranesp
- tacrolimus (Prograf, Astagraf XL, Envarsus XR)
- lisinopril and hydrochlorothiazide, Zestoretic, Prinzide
- quinapril, Accupril
- fosinopril sodium, Monopril
- benazepril and hydrochlorothiazide, Lotensin HCT
- sirolimus - oral, Rapamune
- paricalcitol - injection, Zemplar
- enalapril and hydrochlorothiazide, Vaseretic
- captopril and hydrochlorothiazide, Capozide
- cmv immune globulin - intravenous, Cytogam
- sirolimus solution - oral, Rapamune
Prevention & Wellness
- Itchy Skin Common Alongside Kidney Disease
- For One Man, Too Much Vitamin D Was Disastrous
- Surgeons Perform First HIV-Positive Kidney Transplant From Living Donor
- AHA News: Opioid Meds Pose Danger to Kidney Disease Patients
- Kratom-Related Poisonings Are Soaring, Study Finds
- Kidney Failure Patients Face Higher Risk of Cancer Death
- Are Scientists Closer to Growing Made-to-Order Kidneys?
- CPR Not Always Given at Dialysis Clinics When Needed
- Flu May Be a Factor in Many Kidney Failure Deaths
- Connecting the Dots Between Heartburn Drugs and Kidney Damage
- Kidney Disease More Deadly for Men
- Donated Kidneys From Pot Users Seem Safe: Study
- Fewer Late-Stage Kidney Deaths After Obamacare: Study
- Is the U.S. Throwing Away Too Many Donor Kidneys?
- Obese Patients Often Denied Kidney Transplants. Should They Be?
- Is Kidney Dialysis Always Needed When Septic Shock Strikes?
- Study Sees No Link Between Gout Drug, Kidney Disease
- Common Heartburn Drugs Linked to Broken Hips in Dialysis Patients
- Black Patients Have 5 Times the Rate of Blood Pressure Crises
- Health Tip: Maintain a Healthy Heart While on Dialysis
- One Reason Why Kidney Transplants Fail
- Hepatitis-Infected Kidneys a Safe Option for Transplant: Study
- Too Many Kidney Disease Patients in the Dark About Diet
- Fewer Dialysis Patients Facing Leg Amputations
- 850 Million People Worldwide Have Kidney Disease
- Obamacare May Have Boosted Kidney Transplant Outcomes
- Kidney Docs Worry Over No Dialysis for Undocumented Immigrants
- Money Underpins Drop in Kidney Donations Among Men and the Poor
- There May Be a Better IV Fluid Than Saline, Studies Find
- Defibrillators May Not Help Kidney Patients With Bad Hearts
- Kidney Donors Could Face Some Long-Term Health Risks
- State Rules Affect Survival of Immigrants With Kidney Failure
- Are Good Kidneys Going to Waste?
- Kidney Failure Declining Among U.S. Diabetics: CDC
- Kidney Failure Can Isolate Young Patients
- Dirty Air Might Harm Your Kidneys
- Selena Gomez Had a Kidney Transplant Earlier This Year
- Diabetes Threatens Kidneys, Vision of Millions of Americans
- Asthma Drug May Help Kidney Patients Regain Sense of Smell
- Donor Kidneys Rejected by Centers 7 Times on Average
- Thyroid Problems May Make Things Worse for Dialysis Patients
- 1 in 7 Americans Has Kidney Disease: CDC
- Kidneys From Deceased Diabetics Might Ease Organ Shortage: Study
- Kidney Disease a Big Contributor to Heart-Related Deaths: Study
- Weight, Gender Appear to Play Part in Kidney Transplant Success
- Sickle Cell Trait Tied to Higher Kidney Failure Risk for Blacks
- Kidney Transplant Survival Up Among Babies, Kids
- Air Pollution May Raise Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
- Non-English Speakers Less Likely to Be on Kidney Transplant List
- Undocumented Immigrants Often Face Tough Health Care Choices
- Depression Often Untreated in Dialysis Patients
- Native Americans Make Progress Against Diabetes Complication
- For Kids With Kidney Disease, Race May Play Role in Outcomes
- Female Doctors May Have an Edge: Study
- Don't Rule Out Kidneys From Elderly Donors
- Healthy Diet May Mean Longer Life for Kidney Patients
- Normal Blood Pressure in Clinic May Mask Hypertension
- Poor Sleep Linked to Worsening Kidney Disease
- Poor Sleep Linked to Worsening Kidney Disease
- Smoking May Hinder Kidney Disease Drugs
- West Nile's Long-Term Death Toll May Be Higher Than Thought
- Constipation, Kidney Disease May Be Linked, New Research Shows
- Study Counters Notion That Heart Surgery Poses More Kidney Risks to Women
- When Complications Arise, Some Hospitals Get Paid a Lot More
- A Better Diabetes Test?
- Concern About Dialysis Safety Spurs CDC Action
- Zika May Be Passed on Through Tears, Sweat: Report
- Could Prescribed NSAID Painkillers Raise Heart Failure Risk?
- Fruits, Veggies Powerful Rx for Kidney Disease: Study
- Too Much Red Meat Might Harm Kidneys, Study Suggests
- Type of Disease May Dictate End-of-Life Care
- Smoking Harms Black Americans' Kidneys, Study Suggests
- Warfarin Can Be Safe, Effective for People With Irregular Heartbeat
- Common Heartburn Drugs Linked to Kidney Disease in Study
- Weight-Loss Surgery May Help Control Type 2 Diabetes in Long Run
- Medicare Spends Billions on Chronic Kidney Disease, Study Finds
- Do-It-Yourself Blood Pressure Checks May Help Spot Heart, Stroke Risk
- Paying for Kidneys Might Boost Donor Rate, Study Says
- Kidney Dialysis Might Not Extend Survival of Elderly
- Antibiotic Resistance Common in Kids' Urinary Tract Infections
- Blacks More Likely to Have Kidney Failure Than Whites: Study
- Transplant From Incompatible Living Donor Boosts Kidney Patients' Survival
- Study Sees Possible Link Between Antibiotics and Delirium in Patients
- Racial Disparity in Kidney Transplant Outcomes Narrows: Study
- Online Tool Helps Predict Chances of Kidney Failure, Study Finds
- Heartburn Meds Linked to Chronic Kidney Disease
- Diabetic Kidney Damage May Start Earlier Than Thought
- More Support for Lower Blood Pressure Goals
- Celery-Onion Blend Is Cause of E.Coli Outbreak Tied to Costco Chicken Salad: CDC
- Kidney Woes Tied to Raised Cancer Risk, Study Finds
- Kidney Transplant 'Tourism' Comes With Risks: Study
- Kidney Disease Rates Have Stabilized in U.S., Study Finds
- Donor Kidneys More Likely to Be Discarded on Weekends: Study
- Poor Sleep Might Harm Kidneys, Study Suggests
- Early Warning Sign for Kidney Disease Identified in Study
- Kidney Patients Without Online Access Face Additional Burden
- Do Taller Patients Fare Worse on Dialysis?
- A High Salt and Potassium Diet May Accelerate Chronic Kidney Disease
- Doctors Perform First Double Hand Transplant in a Child
- U.S. Dialysis Patients Increasingly Live in Poor Areas
- Abnormal Test Results in Hospital Signal Raised Kidney Injury Risk
- Man's Iced Tea Habit May Have Swamped His Kidneys
- Steer Clear of Raw Milk, Researchers Warn
- Kidney Patients Living Longer on Dialysis, Study Shows
- Kidney Dialysis Increasing for Pregnant Women
- HIV Patients May Fare as Well as Others With Kidney Transplants
- Millions of Kidney Failure Patients Die for Lack of Treatment: Study
- First Device Approved for Dialysis-Related Amyloidosis
- Meat-Heavy, High-Acid Diet Poses Risk for Those With Kidney Disease: Study
- Kidneys From HIV Donors May Be OK for HIV Patients, Study Finds
- Timing of Kidney Transplants Doesn't Affect Pregnancy Chances
- Kidney Disease Treatment May Be Improving, Study Suggests
- Drug to Treat Serious Infections May Harm Kids' Kidneys, Study Says
- Heat Stroke, Kidney Failure Help Drive Illnesses From Extreme Heat
- New U.S. Kidney Transplant Rules Take Effect
- Study Supports Giving Kidney Donors Priority When They Need a Kidney
- Many Dialysis Patients Ill-Prepared for Emergencies, Study Says
- Gene Test May Spot Which Kidney Transplants More Likely to Fail
- Frailty Tied to Lower Survival Rates After Kidney Transplant
- Women Less Likely to Get Kidney Dialysis Than Men, Study Finds
- Common Childhood Vaccine Cuts 'Superbug' Infection: Study
- Aerobic Exercise May Boost Quality of Life for Dialysis Patients
- Certain Antipsychotic Meds Tied to Kidney Problems in Elderly
- Popular Southern Fare May Harm Your Kidneys
- Childhood Urinary Tract Infection May Bring Lasting Harm to Kidneys
- Blood Thinner Doesn't Prevent Miscarriages: Study
- Blood-Thinner Pradaxa: What You Should Know
- Cost of Kidney Donation May Deter the Poor
- Older Adults Can Safely Donate a Kidney, Study Finds
- Younger Blacks on Dialysis Fare Worse in Poor Neighborhoods: Study
- Study Questions Use of Beta Blockers Before Heart Bypass Surgery
- Blacks May Respond Better Than Whites to Diabetes Drug Metformin
- Task Force Recommends Hep B Screening for High-Risk People
- Kidney Transplant Beats Intensive Dialysis, Study Says
- New Dialysis Machine Treats Tiniest of Newborns
- More Americans Hospitalized for Irregular Heartbeat, Study Finds
- Early Sign of Kidney Disease Often Ignored, Study Says
- A Little Wine Might Help Kidneys Stay Healthy
- People With Kidney Disease Show Higher Cancer Risk in Study
- Diabetes Complication Rates Drop Among U.S. Adults
- Preventive Steroids May Not Help Heart Bypass
- Preventive Steroids May Not Improve Heart Bypass Surgery Results
- Depressed Diabetics May Face Higher Risk of Kidney Disease
- Outcomes Improving for Kids With Kidney Transplants
- Warfarin Safe for Kidney Patients With Irregular Heartbeat: Study
- Kidney Donation a Low-Risk Choice, Study Finds
- Could People's Well-Being Affect Likelihood of Kidney Donation?
- Kidney Injury During Surgery Tied to Risk of Heart Problems
- Kids Who Undergo Heart Transplant Living Longer: Study
- Older Patients May Fare Better in Trauma Centers That Treat More of Their Peers
- As Weight Rises in People With Diabetes, So Does Death Risk: Study
- FDA Warns Against Misuse of Laxatives
- Tight Blood Sugar Control Might Not Help All Critically Ill Kids
- Mediterranean Diet Alone May Lower Diabetes Risk
- Doctors Warn Against Raw Milk for Kids, Pregnant Women
- Higher Spending on Poor Leg Circulation May Not Pay Off
- Arthritis Drug Could Benefit Some Kidney Disease Patients
- Sugary Soda Habit May Harm Kidneys, Study Suggests
- Signs of Early Kidney Damage Found in Some 9/11 Responders
- U.S. Malaria Cases Hit 40-Year High
- Lupus More Likely to Affect Young, Black Women, Study Finds
- Many Lupus Patients Forgo Needed Medication, Study Finds
- Don't Routinely Test for Kidney Disease in Those Without Symptoms: Experts
- Nosebleeds Common But Seldom Serious, Study Finds
- Study Sees Link Between Psoriasis, Kidney Problems
- For Dialysis Patients, It Was a Honey of An Idea
- Chronic Kidney Disease on Rise Among U.S. Seniors, Study Shows
- Anemia Might Raise Dementia Risk, Study Suggests
- Young Teens at Raised Risk of Kidney Transplant Failure: Study
- Transplant May Boost Survival in Obese Kidney Failure Patients
- Researchers Spot Mutant Gene Behind Defects That Can Cause Kidney Failure
- Kidney Failure a Possible Risk of Prostate Cancer Hormone Treatment: Study
- CDC Guidelines Could Cut Bloodstream Infections From Dialysis
- Most Americans Should Eat Less Salt: Report
- Death Rate Dropping for Children on Dialysis: Study
- 'Off-the-Shelf' Artificial Blood Vessels Show Promise
- 'Bioengineered' Kidneys Show Promise in Rat Study
- Belly Fat May Be Tied to Kidney Damage
- Overweight While Younger Ups Kidney Risk Later
- Racial Gap Seen in Survival Among Kidney Dialysis Patients
- High-Dose Statins Linked to Acute Kidney Damage
- Ultrasound Allows Early Detection of Fluid in Dialysis Patients' Lungs
- Fraudulent Data May Have Led to Use of Risky Treatment in ICUs
- 16 Cases of Kidney Damage in 6 States From Synthetic Pot: CDC
- Synthetic Marijuana Use Linked to Kidney Damage
- Daily Dialysis Has Risks, Benefits for Kidney Disease Patients
- High Blood Pressure in Kids May Be Less Common Than Thought
- Common Painkillers Tied to Kidney Risks for Children: Study
- Which Hospital Patients Need Drugs to Prevent Gastrointestinal Bleeding?
- Study Finds New SARS-Like Virus Spread Through Bats, Pigs
- Acute Kidney Injuries Up Sharply in U.S.
- Kidney Disease More Severe in Blacks Than Others: Study
- More New Drugs a Bad Fit With Grapefruit, Study Finds
- Reduced Kidney Function Tied to Mental Decline
- Hearing Loss Tied to Diabetes in Study
- Controversial Alternative Heart Treatment Shows Hint of Benefit
- Eating More Fruits, Veggies May Help Kidney Patients
- Adult Kidney Failure Tied to Excess Weight as Teen
- As Armstrong Case Unfolds, Experts Describe Doping's Harms
- Some People OK With Monetary Payments to Boost Kidney Donation: Survey
- New Symptoms Tied to Death Risk in Severe Kidney Disease
- 'Half-Match' Marrow Transplants Help Some With Sickle Cell
- Kidney Stones May Be Tied to Later Kidney Problems
- Not Enough Data to Support Kidney Disease Screening, Task Force Says
- West Nile Virus: Who's at Risk?
- Men Have a Greater Lifetime Risk for Kidney Failure: Study
- No Health Risk When Jehovah's Witnesses Refuse Blood: Study
- Effects of High Blood Pressure Drug May Mimic Celiac Disease
- Weight-Loss Surgery May Improve Diabetes-Related Kidney Damage
- High Rates of Untreated Kidney Failure Seen in Elderly
- Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes Rising Among U.S. Kids and Teens
- Infant Dies in New E. Coli Outbreak
- Atkins-Type Diets Look Kidney-Friendly: Study
- More Families Seek Kidney Donations on Facebook
- Tight Blood-Sugar Control Shows Mixed Results for Health of Kidneys: Study
- High Blood Pressure in Pregnancy May Threaten Kids' Heart Health
- First, Second Kidney Transplants Have Similar Success: Study
- New Guidelines for Kidney Disease Due to Lupus
- Fish Oil Doesn't Cut Failure Rate of Hemodialysis Grafts
- Routine Kidney Disease Screening Not Worthwhile, Experts Say
- Type 2 Diabetes in Kids a Challenge to Control
- Kids' Kidney Transplant Rules May Have Shrunk 'Race Gap'
- Donor Kidney Re-Used in Second Patient After Failing in First
- Cost of Snakebite Therapy May Squeeze Victims' Wallets
- Consumer Group to FDA: Take Victoza off the Market
- Role of Screening, Monitoring in Early Kidney Disease Unclear
- Herbal Remedy Ingredient Tied to Cancer, Kidney Failure
- Women on Dialysis May Experience Sexual Problems: Survey
- Tighter Recommendations Issued for Blood Cell Transfusions
- Omontys Approved for Anemic People With Kidney Disease
- Health Highlights: March 26, 2012
- Age of Live Kidney Donor Makes Little Difference in Organ's Health
- Altered Stem Cells Limit Transplant Rejection
- Weight-Loss Surgery Seems Safe for Kidney Disease Patients
- Dieting Can Prove Dangerous for Kidney Disease Patients
- More Kidney Dialysis Is Better, Research Finds
- Voraxaze Approved to Treat High Levels of Chemo Drug
- Recent E. Coli Outbreak Traced to Lettuce From One Farm: CDC
- Burn-Casualty Soldiers at High Risk for Kidney Injury, Study Finds
- Few With Acute Kidney Injury See Specialists, Study Finds
- Racial Disparities Still Exist for Kidney Recipients, Study Finds
- Restless Legs Syndrome May Raise BP
- Ground Beef Recalled in 14 States
- Soliris Approval Expanded to Include Rare Blood Disorder
- FDA: Osteoporosis Drug Reclast Ups Kidney Failure Risk
- Ground Beef Recalled Due to E. coli
- Painkillers Linked to Heart Rhythm Disorder
- Breast Cancer Plus Other Health Issues Linked to Worse Outcomes
- Metformin: Safer for Heart Than Older Diabetes Drugs?
- Energy Drink-Vodka Combo Nearly Kills Teen
- Ground Beef Recalled in 10 States
- CDC: 26 Million Americans Have Diabetes
- Experts: Exercise Crucial for Patients With Type 2 Diabetes
- E. coli Linked to Heart, Kidney Disease
- Gulf Oil Spill May Leave Emotional Wounds
- FDA OKs New Drug for Advanced Prostate Cancer
- Experts Urge FDA to Mandate Salt Reduction
- Should Healthy People Take Statins?
- FDA Warns of Zocor Risk to Muscles
- Experts: U.S. Is Neglecting Hypertension
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter