There are several types of kidney cancer, including renal cell cancer (renal adenocarcinoma or hypernephroma), transitional cell carcinoma, and Wilms tumor. Symptoms of kidney cancer include blood in the urine, an abdominal lump or mass, chronic pain in the side, and tiredness. Treatment of kidney cancer -- which may include surgery, arterial embolization, radiation therapy, biological therapy or chemotherapy -- depends upon the stage of the disease and the patient's overall health. Read more: Kidney Cancer Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Kidney Disease Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Kidney disease is common. Take this kidney disease quiz to test your knowledge and learn the symptoms, causes and types of kidney...
Picture of Kidneys
The kidneys are a pair of organs located in the back of the abdomen. See a picture of the Kidneys and learn more about the health...
Cancer-Fighting Foods in Pictures: Resveratrol, Green Tea, and More
Experts have praised certain foods for their ability to reduce cancer risks. Learn which foods and eating strategies may help...
Signs of Cancer in Women: Symptoms You Can't Ignore
Cancer symptoms can surprise women if they don't know what to watch out for. 15 cancer symptoms women ignore such as weight loss,...
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Related Disease Conditions
Cancer Risk Factors
Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Blood in Urine
Blood in the urine is termed hematuria. Hematuria, whether it be gross or microscopic, is abnormal and should be further...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Asbestos (Exposure Dangers, Testing, Symptoms)
Asbestos is a mineral fiber that is found in soil and rock. Asbestos exposure occurs when asbestos fibers are disturbed and...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Certain behavioral, lifestyle, and environmental factors contribute to cancer. Cancer prevention involves modifying these factors...
Cancer pain results from the tumor pressing on nerves or invading bones or organs. Cancer treatments like chemotherapy,...
Cancer fatigue is a lack of energy that is caused by cancer or cancer treatment, including chemotherapy, radiation, biological...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize serious diseases and health problems like strokes, heart attacks, cancers, reproductive problems in...
Polycythemia (High Red Blood Cell Count)
Polycythemia (elevated red blood cell count) is a rare blood disease in which the body produces too many red blood cells....
Tumor grade is a system used to classify cancer cells in how likely the tumor is to grow, and how abnormal they look under a...
Arsenic comes in two forms, inorganic and organic. Organic arsenic poisoning is usually not poisonous to humans; however,...
Kidney dysplasia is a condition in which one or both of a baby's kidneys do not develop normally. In kidney dysplasia, cysts...
Kidney Pain (Location, Symptoms, Relief)
Kidney pain has a variety of causes and symptoms. Infection, injury, trauma, bleeding disorders, kidney stones, and less...
Kidney Cancer - Symptoms
What were your symptoms of kidney cancer?Post View 102 Comments
Kidney Cancer - Prognosis
What is the prognosis for your kidney cancer?Post View 30 Comments
Kidney Cancer - Treatment
What was the treatment for your kidney cancer?Post View 18 Comments
Kidney Cancer - Risk Factors
Did you have any risk factors for kidney cancer?Post
Kidney Cancer - Diagnosis
How was your kidney cancer diagnosed?Post View 18 Comments
Kidney Cancer - Follow-up Care
What type of follow-up care have you, a friend, or relative received for kidney cancer?Post View 4 Comments
Kidney Cancer - Renal Cell Carcinoma
Please share your experience with renal cell carcinoma.Post
Local ResourcesFind a local Oncologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Early Detection of Cancer
- CT Scan (Computerized Tomography)
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scan)
- Questions To Ask Before Surgery
- Erythropoietin (EPO Test)
- Radiation Therapy
- Biological Therapy
- Creatinine (Low, High, Blood Test Results Explained)
- Hemodialysis (Treatment for Kidney Failure)
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- 'Couch Potatoes' May Face Higher Risk of Kidney, Bladder Cancers
- Can Drug Company Perks Sway Cancer Docs' Prescriptions?
- Drug Offers Some Hope for a Deadly Lung Cancer
- Survival Continues to Improve for Most Cancers
- Kidney Cancer Drug Shows Promise in Early Trial
- More Cancer Patients Gaining From Immune-Based Treatments
- Do Overweight People Fare Better Than Others With Kidney Cancer?
- Excess Weight Tied to Higher Risk for Many Cancers, Experts Say
- Some Advanced Kidney Cancer Patients May Postpone Treatment
- Too Much Red Meat Might Harm Kidneys, Study Suggests
- 3-D Printed Model Helps Delicate Kidney Surgery
- Low-Dose Aspirin Tied to Better Cancer Survival in Study
- Low-Dose Aspirin Tied to Better Cancer Survival in Study
- Certain Biopsy Method Tied to Better Outcomes After Kidney Cancer
- Targeted Drug Shows Promise Against Advanced Kidney Cancer
- Opdivo Approved for Advanced Kidney Cancer
- Kidney Woes Tied to Raised Cancer Risk, Study Finds
- Childhood Cancer Tied to Raised Risk for Other Ills in Adult Life
- Barbecued, Pan-Fried Meat May Boost Kidney Cancer Risk
- Kidney Patients Without Online Access Face Additional Burden
- New Immune-Focused Drug Shows Promise Against Advanced Kidney Cancer
- Young Adult Cancer Survivors More Likely to Be Hospitalized
- Smoking Ups Risk of Complications From Urologic Cancers: Study
- Urine Test Shows Promise for Early Diagnosis of Kidney Cancer
- Nearly 1 in 20 Cancer Patients Die Within Month of Surgery: Study
- Kidney and Thyroid Cancer Rates Up Among U.S. Children, Study Finds
- New Cancer Classification System Might Boost Patient Outcomes
- Low Cholesterol Levels May Spell Trouble for Kidney Cancer Patients
- One Woman's Cancer Battle Highlights Promise of New Treatment
- Nexavar Approval Expanded for Common Thyroid Cancer
- IVF Conception Doesn't Seem to Raise Kids' Cancer Risk: Study
- Kidney Cancer Drugs Equal in Prolonging Survival: Study
- New Drug May Slow Advanced Ovarian Cancer
- Cholesterol Drugs Might Boost Kidney Cancer Survival
- 'Watch and Wait' Approach Often Best for Older Patients With Kidney Cancer
- Cancer Drug Doesn't Speed Up Tumor Growth, Researchers Say
- Black Patients With Kidney Cancer Fare Worse Than Whites: Study
- Some People OK With Monetary Payments to Boost Kidney Donation: Survey
- Radiation for Childhood Cancer Might Raise Diabetes Risk
- Grapefruit Juice May Give Boost to Cancer Treatment: Study
- Votrient Approved to Treat Cancer That Begins in Soft Tissue
- Kidney Cancer Patients Fare Better With Tumor Removal Only
- Immune-Based Drug Combo Might Extend Cancer Survival
- Is Cancer Outwitting 'Personalized Medicine'?
- Certain Cancer Drugs May Have Fatal Side Effects: Analysis
- Drug Approved for Advanced Kidney Cancer
- From Bad to Better: U.S. Cancer Rates Continue to Drop
- New Treatments Target Advanced Breast Cancer
- Microwave Technique Fights Lung Tumors
- Cancer Risk Doubles After Organ Transplant, Study Finds
- New Warning Added to Avastin Label
- Long-Term Painkiller Use Linked to Kidney Cancer
- Kidney Cancer on the Rise
- FDA Panel: Avastin Not for Breast Cancer
- Exercise Recommended for Cancer Patients
- Study Disputes Link Between Milk and Kidney Cancer
- Hepatitis C Tied to Higher Kidney Cancer Risk
- Sunlight May Help Protect Men From Kidney Cancer
- Cancer Treatment: Getting the Support You Need
- Chemotherapy: Eating Well
- Cancer Treatment: Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Cancer Treatment: Pre-Treatment Eating Tips
- Whole Body Scanning, Do You Really Need One?
- Cancer Pain, A Guide for You and Your Family
- Pain Control Record Chart
- Cancer and Sexual Health
- Chemotherapy and Other Cancer Treatment Side Effects
- Cancer Survival - Better & Longer Survival Rates
- Urinary System - How It Works!
- National Kidney Month
- Cancer Treatment - Managing Eating Problems
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Cancer Report Newsletter