The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, low-carb diet in which a person eats foods that are 70%-80% fat. The carbohydrate reduction causes a metabolic state called ketosis in which ketones accumulate in the bloodstream. Though some people use the ketogenic diet to lose weight, the diet was first developed for its ability to reduce seizures. Read more: Ketogenic Diet (Keto Diet) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Epilepsy & Seizures Quiz: What Causes Seizures?
Do you know the difference between seizures and epilepsy? What are the types of seizures? Take the Epilepsy & Seizures Quiz to...
Diet and Weight Loss: What’s a Ketogenic Diet?
These are low-carb diets -- the basic idea is to get most of your calories from protein and fat. There are some benefits, but you...
Diet and Weight Loss: Healthy Fat Foods
From fish to avocados, nuts to beans, WebMD shows you what tasty foods have healthy fats. See the benefits of adding omega 3s and...
Bad Foods That Are Good for Weight Loss in Pictures
Some bad foods can be good for weight loss. MedicineNet reveals which tempting foods can actually help you lose weight and keep...
Related Disease Conditions
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Kidney Stones (nephrolithiasis)
Kidney stones are solid masses of crystalline material that form in the kidneys. Symptoms of kidney stones can include pain,...
Parkinson's disease is a slowly progressive neurological disease characterized by a fixed inexpressive face, a tremor at rest,...
Gout in the Foot
Buildup of uric acid crystals in a joint causes gouty arthritis. Symptoms and signs include joint pain, swelling, heat, and...
Constipation (Relief, Home Remedies, Treatment Medications)
Constipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week....
Learn about osteoporosis, a condition characterized by the loss of bone density, which leads to an increased risk of bone...
Epilepsy is a brain disorder in which the person has seizures. There are two kinds of seizures, focal and generalized. There are...
Seizures Symptoms and Types
Seizures are divided into two categories: generalized and partial. Generalized seizures are produced by electrical impulses from...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Local ResourcesFind a local Family Physician in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- Keto Diet May Help Control Type 2 Diabetes
- How Does Your Diet Stack Up?
- How Much Fat Do You Really Need?
- Eating More Red Meat May Shorten Your Life
- How Much Protein Do You Need for Weight Loss and Muscle Growth?
- Low-Carb Diets Included in U.S. Dietary Guidelines Update Review
- Low-Carb Diets Linked to Higher Odds for A-Fib
- Bribe Yourself to Diet
- Protein Portions: Feeling Satisfied on Fewer Calories
- Low-Carb Diets May Work By Boosting Calorie Burn
- 3 Ways to Tame Food Temptations
- Many Americans Slicing Meat From Their Diet
- Losing Weight the Online Way
- Going 'Low-Carb'? Your Odds for an Early Death May Rise
- American Heart Association Turns Dietary Advice on Its Head
- For Dieters, More Protein Equals More Satisfaction
- The Keto Diet Is Popular, But Is It Safe?