Keratosis pilaris is a skin condition characterized by small, painless bumps on certain areas of the skin. Keratosis pilaris is very common. Keratosis pilaris is not associated with any serious medical consequences or complications. It has been considered to be a form of normal skin.
Signs and symptoms of keratosis pilaris include painless, small white or red bumps around the hair follicles mainly seen on the upper arms, thighs, buttocks, and cheeks. Other associated signs and symptoms can include
- dry, rough skin in the areas with bumps,
- worsening of the condition when seasonal changes cause low humidity and skin tends to be drier, and
- sandpaper-like skin bumps resembling goose flesh or chicken skin.
Cause of keratosis pilaris
The exact cause is unknown.
Other keratosis pilaris symptoms and signs
- Dry, Rough Skin in the Areas with Bumps
- Painless, Small White or Red Bumps Around the Hair Follicles Mainly Seen on the Upper Arms, Thighs, Buttocks, and Cheeks
- Sandpaper-Like Skin Bumps Resembling Goose Flesh or Chicken Skin
- Worsening of the Condition When Seasonal Changes Cause Low Humidity and Skin Tends to Be Drier
Main Article on Keratosis Pilaris Symptoms and Signs
IMAGESBrowse our medical image collection of allergic skin disorders such as psoriasis and dermatitis and more caused by allergies See Images
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Dry Skin Quiz
Dry, itching, flaky skin? Take the Dry Skin Quiz to learn what's causing your dry skin and what you can do about it beyond...
Picture of Keratosis Pilaris Atrophicans
Keratosis pilaris (KP) patients often report a rough texture (gooseflesh or chicken skin like appearance) and overall poor...
Skin Conditions Quiz: Common Skin Diseases
Could you identify a scabies infestation? Take the Skin Diseases Pictures Quiz and learn to identify common conditions that...
Skin Problems: Contagious Rashes, Bumps, and Blisters
Why do rashes, bumps, and blisters appear on your skin? There are several medical causes. Find out what causes bumps, rashes, and...
Skin Quiz: Acne, Dry Skin, Dandruff & More
What's that all over you? Skin, of course! Test your knowledge of your most amazing organ with the Skin Quiz!