Patient Comments: Keratosis Pilaris - Cause

What was the cause of your keratosis pilaris? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: SchrodingersMu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I'm 25 and I have had keratosis pilaris (KP) for 15 years. I have been in Japan for 3 months now and have realized that my skin seems oilier and my KP has significantly diminished. The largest change to my diet, by far, has been the reduction of dairy products and products produced by cows. I ate cheese made from bovine milk just to test and it seems that the KP has returned a bit.

Comment from: Norma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

The cause of my keratosis pilaris (KP) appears to be hereditary. I had it at the top of my shoulders. In 2011, I had cancer and took 4 treatments of chemotherapy. Chemotherapy had to be stopped due to side effects. After receiving chemotherapy, KP appeared all over my body. Especially, the worst is on my forearms, very thick. It's just horrible. After I had chemotherapy, every health issue that I had before was made worse. I don't like the prescription my doctor gave me as it is very greasy.

Comment from: Akki, Published: May 30

I have also suffered from hives. I have tried every medicine but failed in all attempts. Finally I gave up hope. But one day I purchased some aloe vera juice (before breakfast 30 ml juice 30 ml water) and also focused on yoga. Finally I got rid of this disease.

Comment from: Gretchen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I, too, have discovered the cause of my keratosis pilaris: bovine casein, the main protein in cow's milk. There is no doubt it's bovine casein. As long as I stay away from bovine casein, I don't get the rash. When I eat hard cheeses made from bovine milk, in about 3 days, the rash appears. Happens the same way every time I eat cheese made from cow's milk. I don't drink milk now as an adult, but I sure drank a lot of it when I was a child, and I had very obvious KP lesions on my jawline, back of the upper arms, and on the forearms, buttocks, and thighs. Goat's milk, and cheese from goat's milk, or sheep milk cheese doesn't cause this to happen. So, I really encourage anyone with KP to eliminate all cow milk products from their diet for a month, and see if the PK disappears. Then re-introduce bovine milk products again, and see if the lesions reappear.

Comment from: Hildismommy, Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I had KP when I was in elementary school. My Grandmother took me to our GP and she didn't know what it was called my father had it as well when he was younger. I took my daughter to her pediatrician for a checkup and we had noticed the bumps on her face, arms, and legs. The doctor said let's check on my daughters Keratosis I was floored this is the first time I ever found out what it was that we all had. Plus side she said that we will never have a problem with acne due to the fact that our face does not produce oil like people without KP.

Comment from: Sanrey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I believe my flare ups of keratosis pilaris are from the humidity down here in Florida. It flares up every summer. Avon used to sell a product that worked for me but they discontinued it.

Comment from: Michelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I have had keratosis pilaris (KP) my whole life and just recently discovered what it was. Growing up, kids always asked me if I was cold because it resembles goose bumps. I was self-conscious about it up until a couple of years ago, as I have discovered on my own that moisturizing excessively is the only way to help it. Summer tan helps mine not be so noticeable and it only itches in the winter months. I also think it is improving with age like the article says... this is a relief. My mom and my sister also have KP. Those that suffer from KP should not feel bad about themselves for having it and if it affects so much of the population, why don't more people know about it? Why has no physician ever mentioned it to me before? It has only been brought to my attention since I have had children. They are likely to have it. Now I'll be able to help them.

Comment from: Christopher, (Patient) Published: May 17

It is vital to note that casein is in many different foods. Anyone interested in seeing if they can improve symptoms through diet should be very thorough and check all their food labels. Products that often have casein in them include cold cuts, candy, and bread products. Your best bet is to stick to a very simple diet of lean meats, fish, vegetables, and fruits for a month.

Comment from: latte73, Published: March 15

I'm 40, and believe I've had keratosis pilaris (KP) since I was 10 years old. I have always been allergic to dairy. I use soy and other non-dairy products. It seems to be worse in winter. I do not believe there is anything that makes it worse. I do know that bergamot, sunshine, lotions with alpha hydroxy acids and lotions with urea are the only things that have helped me. I have eliminated all kinds of things from my diet to find if there is a relation to foods. But that seems not to be the case at all. For me, KP is not food related.

View the Adult Skin Problems Slideshow Pictures
Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

EXFOLIATION! In the shower I use a sandpaper like foot callus file to exfoliate the skin on my upper arms and backs of my legs where I have it mostly. It knocks the tops off the pimples that are ready to open and gets rid of any dead/dry skin waiting to clog up other pores. This doesn't get rid of it all, but I see a huge improvement for me especially with regular doing. You have to go easy when you first start otherwise you will have red scraped and irritated skin. Try it, I promise you will see a difference in a couple of days. You need to then regularly exfoliate to keep the dead skin from accumulating. More often in the winter and less in the other less-drying seasons.

Comment from: Sephy.Sunshine, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I'm not entirely sure what caused my KP to flare up. I noticed it when I was about seven. I asked my parents why I was getting small bumps on my face & legs but they were baffled. My dad has had skin problems all of his life. He was diagnosed with psoriasis as a young adult. My mother never had any problem with her skin. It became worse as I got older. They began to appear on my face, upper arms, above my knees, below my buttocks and on my buttocks. I used to pop them as a child and sometimes still do as a young adult. They have somewhat vanished on my cheeks but have yet to disappear on my arms and legs. I'm not really sure what to do to get rid of them. There is a list of things that could possibly work and I have spoken to several dermatologists and apparently they don't know what KP is. I plan on trying the obvious treatments first then going to a doctor if it doesn't work.

Comment from: SAM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I have had good luck using aloe vera gel. It makes my skin feel smoother and less itchy, but you need to use it daily.

Published: July 12

I noticed I had red dry bumps all over my forearms and now some on my thighs. I have had these since before I could remember. Most of it has been mainly because of my exposure to the sun. I was very sensitive about it for years. I just now found out it was keratosis pilaris. I use a lot of lotions and have to be very careful with what soaps I use.

Comment from: PigLover, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I am 15 years old and I have keratosis pilaris on my upper arms and all over my thighs and knees. I have had it for as long as I can remember, and it has gotten better over time. But I am very self-conscious about my legs and almost never wear shorts or skirts or dresses because my legs just look terrible. I am trying to make it better by using Dove soap and using lotion three times a day in the winter and two times a day in the summer. The most important thing is to not give up hope!

Comment from: Happy Mum, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 09

Two years ago my daughter, then 4 1/2 years old, had keratosis pilaris on her upper arms and tops of her thighs. After our GP told us that it was incurable, we reduced her dairy intake, using soy instead of milk and cutting out cheese and yogurt. Within 2 weeks the keratosis pilaris had disappeared and has not returned. She is still relatively dairy free as well.

Comment from: Joan Bond, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

Reasons for KP: 1. Possible heredity factors due to habits of eating passed generationally, so fix your diet! 2. Plugged hair follicles on skin, though this probably has a nutritional cause. 3. Inability to convert beta carotene into vitamin A - phrynoderma rare cause. 4. Deficiency of Vitamins A, E, and Mineral Zinc. 5. Poor intestinal health lack of correct bacteria or yeast fungus overgrowth, leading to poor digestion. 6. Low thyroid function hypothyroidism 7. Possible reaction to Bovine Casein (milk solids) found in dairy milk, cream, cheese, butter. Solutions for KP: 1. Eat raw veggies and fish, lean meat, skip bovine dairy, use palm sugar (from coconut) instead, fish, and drastically lower carbs, no white carbs use black/red/ or brown rice, quinoa, etc. Avoid cane sugar, and wheat. 2. Wax arms and legs where it occurs. This may remove the keratin plug near hair follicle that causes the bump and will remove dry, scaly skin. Use Cetaphil cream on areas after waxing, to moisten skin. Drink water! 3. Multivitamin-Multimineral supplement plus extra Vitamin E for 400 IU, Zinc not to exceed 100 mgs daily, Omega-3 supplements, and diet to include raw leafy greens like kale, chard, and raw or cooked carrots, yellow squashes. 4. Lots of cultured yoghurt, non-fat, non-sugar forms. Probiotics to include lactobacillus acidophilus, and bifidus strains. Digestive enzymes (no hydrochloric stomach acid) with probiotics is great! 5. Take Thyroid Glandular supplements, and also Adrenal Gland Extract. Should be ok, but if on meds, check with your doctor first. 6. Also for Thyroid and Adrenals, take Iodine in seaweed salad or soup or cooked form, such as Kelp, toasted seaweed like Nori, or capsules of chlorella, spirulina, blue-green algae, etc. Iodine helps skin and hair, is digestible protein source, helps boost thyroid and adrenal glands, and detoxes body (Chlorella). 7. Take Selenium from 2 raw Brazil nuts daily or supplements as it absorbs well with Iodine. 8. Avoid bovine dairy products for a while to aid digestion. Cow milk is hard to digest. Use goat milk cheese, and soy or coconut milk replacements.

View the Adult Skin Problems Slideshow Pictures