Patient Comments: Keloid - Causes

What caused your keloid(s)? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: MStine9, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I had 5 doses of radiation at Cancer Center. They found 2 types of cancer in my left lung, the first one was from smoking and the second was the carcinoid tumor. I had 8 treatments in total. On my one month follow up everything was as expected. I have to go back in December, 2016 for another follow up.

Comment from: Rosa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I had surgery for a fractured humerus on 9/15, and on 7/16 another surgery to remove the intramedullary rod. There are keloids from both surgeries. It is like fire emitting, burning and sensitive to touch. Nothing has given relief. The area undergoes a lot of stretching as that is my shoulder.

Comment from: Jordan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 07

My son would get a recurring abscess on his leg. After the 3rd round of antibiotics we decided to try Nuvaderm liquid. I read that it kills staph infections. Best thing I ever did because the next time he had it I put this stuff on (exceeding the affected area) and the next morning it was gone! There really is no guidance on how long to treat so I kept applying it for the next 9 days. Honestly I wish I could tell everyone that suffers from these things to try this because it was a miracle for us.

Comment from: infoseeker, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

My mother (68), vibrant and energetic, full of life got sick with pneumonia that wouldn't go away so during a CT scan they found the abdominal aortic aneurysm. A surgical repair was done and so began the nausea, vomiting and intermittent abdominal and back pain. Four weeks later she is still having the same issues. None before the surgery, only after. More tests have uncovered ulcer at the top of the stomach and bottom of esophagus, nine places in her stomach that were biopsied and a mass on her thyroid and adrenal glands. Not sure how to take the nausea, vomiting and loss of appetite. I'm not sure if it's more a mental thing or actually an issue that needs to be constantly pushed with the doctors. She has been back to the hospital for a 4 day stay and countless scans to be told all is okay if she takes the ulcer medicine and makes herself eat to coat the stomach, which she seems to not want to.

Comment from: eagleswings311, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

After I had aortic valve replacement surgery in 2014, the keloid appeared. Since my skin is a lovely shade of brown, my keloid is not pink. It is darker than my skin color. Sometimes it itches, at other moments, there is some pain. I have also noticed that some of the darker places peel. I tried receiving injections from a dermatologist, but the treatment was too painful to continue. I have tried rubbing the following on it, but to no avail; petroleum jelly, shea butter with oatmeal in lotion form, vitamin E, and Derma-E scar gel. It appears that I am wasting money. If there is a way to shrink, lighten or even do away with this keloid, without endangering my artificial heart valve, I would like to know what it is.

Comment from: Boniface, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I am seriously suffering from Helicobacter pylori. It is too expensive for me to treat.

Comment from: Lori, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I was walking in a poorly lit garage after having my eyes dilated. I didn't see the concrete tire stopper and tripped. I felt both a pop and a tearing sensation as I was flying through the air. I'm generally pretty stoic but when I landed on the ground I was in so much pain all I could do with writhe and moan. The pressure of the concrete floor on the back of my thigh was too painful to bear so I turned onto my stomach. I was taken by ambulance to the emergency room where I was diagnosed (after an MRI) with a full thickness tear of 3 hamstring tendons.

Comment from: Marsha, Female Published: November 06

When I was 46 I woke up at 3 am on my left side, looking up. The room was spinning. I moved to my right side in a fetal position until I felt better. I woke my husband. I said I thought I had a stroke. We sat outside until I felt better. I went to the emergency room the next morning. They diagnosed me with vertigo. I did not have another episode until I was 62. I was swimming (elementary backstroke) in a pool. I did not concentrate. I swam into the end of the pool, hit my head, and immediately got vertigo. I have been to an ENT, also physical therapist. They worked with me for 3 weeks. It got better. I still have vertigo almost every day, if I look up just a little. I have been having scans for an unrelated health issue. I am having a PET scan next week. I will have to look straight up while I am on my back. My primary care physician has given me patches for motion sickness and 2 Valium. I am very anxious. The last time I had a scan I got vertigo, yelled, and cried. It is awful.

Comment from: Kate, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I don't normally get keloid scar but I had my thyroid removed and ended up with the worst looking red scar across my neck. No hiding it or wearing necklaces because it feels like a bad burn or feels prickly most of the time. I've left mine as I don't won't to risk making it worse, and really worse things could happen to me!

Comment from: ROSIE W., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I developed my first keloid at age 30 when I had a tubal ligation, it looks like a raised flower around my navel. My second one was at age 50 when I had a hysterectomy. I was cut straight across and it's a very large raised looking worm. It itches constantly and is painful to touch, the only good thing with both is that they aren't visible. At 53 I now need to get my thyroid removed and very afraid of a scar across my neck.

Comment from: Roxy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

My keloids are caused by chicken pox.

Comment from: david h, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a pimple on my chest. I popped it and it ended up growing into a keloid. I went to doctor to have it surgically removed, all that did was aggravate it and make it bigger and now it is spreading.

Comment from: SHAHBAZ, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I got superficial burn which caused keloid after some months. I still have keloid on both my hands though it is reducing in size day by day but progress is very slow.

Comment from: Marian, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I got my keloids due to chicken pox when I was 10 years old. I have 5 disturbing keloids, 2 on my right arm, 1 on my left, 1 at the back of my leftmost neck and one on my leftmost part of the chest. My keloids give me pain whenever the weather starts to change. I can't wear sleeveless shirts and it gives me psychological distress. We tried to see a doctor and gave me some shots but it didn't last out. I sometimes think how unlucky I am because of my keloids since these are the hindrance to my dreams. I am still looking forward that one day my keloids will be gone.

Comment from: CHUPZ, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I have a keloid on my chest just below the neck since my toddler age, it was there since my memory begins. I heard from my parents it was after a type of eczema I suffered when I was 2 years. This was treated with steroid injection and nitrogen spray which made it look uglier. I didn't have any other keloids till I was in my twenties. Now I am 33 and have numerous keloids on my back, both shoulders, chest, and jawline, probably from adulthood acne. They are terribly itchy and painful, more so at night.

Comment from: Tey329, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I had keloids on my earlobe. When I was about 5 my mother had them burnt off and they never grew back, that was in 1997. But when I was about 14 or so I bumped my ear on some wood and that's when a huge keloid formed on the top of my ear. I had that one removed, cut actually, and the doctor injected it with steroids. I don't think steroids is a good method for keloids, steroids make the body grow and that's what it did! I believe the steroid triggered my body to form even more keloids. Now I have some on my chest and on my back and even my vagina. I'm just trying to find a treatment that will work.

Comment from: Anujwa, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I have keloids all over my body, especially on my legs and on my right shoulder. These developed over the years from my childhood to adult following sores or accidental cuts or abrasions. The one on my shoulder is due to injection when I was hospitalized in my teen years. Most painful and stressful one is on my chest caused by acne scar. I had it surgically removed, followed by doses of irradiation in 2011. But it has returned with a vengeance. It has grown twice its original size and growing. Now its dimensions are 60 mm X 110 mm (on my chest right between my nipples). It is now extremely sensitive to touch, very itchy and bleeds from its periphery due to internal pressure of collagen build up.

Comment from: MMcG, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I started getting keloids at around 16 on my chest wall. I kept thinking it was normal acne for a few years caused by ingrown hairs and stress, until I got it looked it by a dermatologist, but I've not been given a clear answer as to what it was or even any real options. It seems over the next few years my over consumption of sugary drinks (Mountain Dew) and poor diet have contributed to the growth, size and quantity of me keloids. I am also the only one in my family to suffer from this problem and wonder about my kids in the near future if they would get it.

Comment from: aiysha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

My keloids were caused by surgery. The incisions seemed to be flat and healed nicely... until they started to become keloid. Now I have a long earth worm type one on my left side and two smaller ones a few inches under that; ugly but hidden.

Comment from: TD, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I have a painful 'pump bump' because of bone spur and cannot get any relief.

Comment from: dani, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have keloids on my chest bone and pelvic area. Every time I remove hair from my underarms, a type of little pimple gets formed then I have to apply Bap Scar to not to let them form a keloid. I have stopped using anything on my pelvic area and injections are currently the treatment I am taking and it is working on my keloids.

Comment from: curvy150, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I began developing keloids on both ears when I was about 11. From the age of 11 to the age of 33 I've had 7 surgeries. The first 6 were just excised and injected. The final 7th at age 33 was excised and I received a series of radiation treatment. It's been 15 years and they haven't returned. I will never pierce my ears again. I also have a very large keloid on my left upper back (bra strap covers it) which was removed once. It was initially the size of a peanut and grew to the size of a quarter before I removed it. I did not get the radiation at the time and it grew back bigger. It burns, itches and feels like pins piercing it but I have to live with it. It may have originated from a mosquito bite. Keloids are annoying but at least they're noncancerous. That's the way I have to look at them.

Comment from: thaby, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I have a keloid on my pubic part, no known cause since I never had any injury except some pimple. I then had surgery and it is still growing, I then had steroid injection but to no avail.

Comment from: jhadee, Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I am 26 years old. I have keloids in the center of my chest and I'm worried about this. It came from a small pimple and now it is two inches. I haven't consulted the doctor, sometimes it is red and feels itchy.

Comment from: Bala, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 20

I have a quite good number of keloids on my chest since almost 15-20 years. The initial one just appeared from nowhere and the rest started mushrooming as the years passed by. The size is variable depending on its age. On the biggest (oldest) one I had one steroid shot, but it was so very painful, I almost thought to have the keloid flourish instead. However, besides the pain, nothing happened to the scar and it is still growing. They are tender to touch and if it starts itching, it is severe and never seems to end, but you can't scratch it because it is painful when touched hard or scratched. That is a difficult situation. Applying some pain balm would relieve the scratching. I have scars on the shoulders also. The most noticeable one is on my upper sternum. The rest of them are hidden underneath the hairs over the chest. That is a relief LOL. Since injections are very painful (at least for me), and rest of the treatment modalities are said to be not quite effective, I would rather live with it and the cosmetic deformity, hiding it from others.

Comment from: Shir, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

At the age of four (I am now 21) I had open heart surgery to patch up a hole in my heart the surgeon apparently didn't do a very good job sowing me up, used big staples and did it all zigzagged. I believe I would have developed keloid scarring no matter what considering it appears it runs in the family. As a little girl, the massive scar down the centre of my chest between my breasts was just a nuisance but by high-school, as you can imagine, it was very big and very unsightly and I was teased terribly by the guys in my classes. You cannot wear low rising shirts (when seriously, everything in the freaking shops and in fashion is low riding) and bars cause so much pain. The whole thing burns and sharp agonizing jolts of pain, like being stabbed, are a near constant side effect. I now have developed five across my shoulders from acne and a couple smaller on my chest. I hate them, I cry about them, and they make me feel ugly but hey that's life. I have fibromyalgia on top of it all. I think learning to deal with pain and everything else makes you stronger.

Comment from: Benson, Female (Caregiver) Published: April 13

I am just taking toothpaste, ash, omeprazole and other antacids such as Allucid for GERD but all in all I am getting worse from acidity and bloating, am suffering seriously.

Comment from: baybeK8s, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 09

My brother went to the barber shop and was nicked with a dull razor. Over several months he has developed a keloid along his hairline at the base of his neck. He has a 1 inch keloid at this moment and it appears another one is beginning to appear along side the first one.

Comment from: lexy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

Four years ago, I had two tiny pimples on different spots on my chest. Now they have formed keloids. They are itchy from time to time. I visit the gym regularly and discovered that anytime I do a workout that involves my chest region, the keloids get itchy and increase in size. I really need to get these things off of me.

Comment from: dlclemnts, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

My keloid began as a small pimple on my chest back in the early 1980s. I had an injection, it flattened, and it never grew back. In the 1990s another one grew right under the old one, so I did the same remedies of tape and creams. The itching became so irritating that I went to a dermatologist and began steroid treatments. It really helped and started to flatten. Before I go to the dermatologist, I use a cream she gave me to apply 30 minutes before, and it numbs the area. That way, the injections don't hurt so badly. Ask your doctor to prescribe a numbing cream.

Comment from: Sheena, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I'm a 17 year old girl from an Indian decent. I started developing keloids around the age of 12-13 after I started picking at my acne on my back. My first ever keloid however is on my chest, which is situated exactly on my right collarbone. I got it from a pair of scissors stabbing me while I was running with it. I have around 15-20 keloids on each side of my shoulders/black. I've been through steroid treatments and laser treatments but nothing has worked so far. I'm fearing the presence of new keloids and I have to be very careful with any type of scratches.

Comment from: StacyK, 35-44 Female Published: December 11

I have several keloids. I have 2 on my back. One from chicken pox and one from a cyst removal. My c-section scar has one too. The biggest and worst by far is the huge keloid on the bottom of my heel. It is so painful. I have had several surgeries on my heel and nothing has helped so far. The last surgery involved removal of the keloid, a skin graph and radiation. 2 1/2 years later, I am back in the same place I was before.

Comment from: Pinky, 75 or over Female Published: October 26

I had a blemish on my chin that just wouldn't heal and kept being opened. Finally this hard stuff began to form and I just found out today that it is called a Keloid. After reading all the troubles with removal I have decided that I will just have to live with it till something is found that is successful in permanently fixing it. It is right on my chin and I always feel it's the center of attention when people look at me. I have had gallbladder surgery and heart surgery prior and am extremely grateful that nothing like a Keloid developed in those areas. I guess I will just leave it alone and bite the bullet.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I am 14 and when I was 6 months old I had my ears pierced. It closed up by the time I was two and then I had them pierced again. I then developed keloids on both my ears where the old piercing was but the keloids never grew or anything. They were just swellings. Now I'm 14, they've started to hurt and feel hot.

Comment from: Giovanna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I developed my first Keloid when I was 5 years old from my school vaccination. The year was 1965. My parents took me to a top plastic surgeon who treated it with cortisone. It took 15 years for it to be flat. For any surgeries in my life, I have had the surgeon consult with a plastic surgeon before the operation. Usually cortisone is injected at the time of surgery and then a Keloid is not formed. The scar tissue looks a little obvious but no Keloid. Now, does anyone know is LASER HAIR REMOVAL is possible with my type of Keloid skin? I want it for my face but am so scared to proceed. Thanks for any info.

Comment from: kavita,Delhi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I had five keloids on different parts of my body. I tried cortisol injections and surgery on two large keloids, but they grow back larger.

Comment from: Mike Sing, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

I sustained a burn from a hot iron on my lower back when I was 2 or 3. It was a pretty small and flat scar up until it turned keloid when I was in my mid 20's. It's amazing to me that after more than 20 years it has developed. I am now trying cortisone injections because it's incredibly itchy and sticks out and catches on things, which causes a huge amount of pain and bleeding. Not sure if the injections are doing much, but I will persevere for another few months.

Comment from: newton59, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I am 20 years old and I got a severe case of Shingles of the left cranial nerve that affected the left side of my face. I was left with several scars on the edge of my upper lip and side of my nose. They remain painful to the touch and raised. I have had six treatments of Cortizone injections with little change. I am told not to have them cut off as they may grow back bigger. They are on such a prominent part of my face and I am very embarrassed by them.

Comment from: toetuuai, Female Published: May 20

I am 18 years old right now and my keloids look like I was born with them before I had an injection. I only had one injection, and that really hurt a lot so I was scared of the next one but I still insisted I get one because the biggest one I have is right above my breast and attracts a lot of attention when I show it. There is another one behind my right shoulder but that doesn't bother me as much. My mother is a nurse and I've asked her again and again if I can get surgery to remove both keloids or at least the one on my chest, because I live in Samoa so it gets very hot at time and who wears clothes that covers your whole body in an island that feels like a 100 degrees.

Published: March 16

I developed a keloid due to an injury on my chest. I had surgery to remove it and within 1 month, it reappears but even larger.

Comment from: Neera, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

It all started like a joke. I was with my friend one day having fun, she told me she was going to pierce her ear for a second hole and I said ok. She told me to try it too and I said no. I went home and I thought about it and I decided I want to do it, so I did it first it hurt so bad, but I just had to be brave. After a week it still hurt. I decided to take off the ear rings. I did and the pain reduced. After another week I noticed my earlobes were itchy and it felt as if there was something inside, it started growing and I didn't know what it was and the reason for its growth. After like a year and half I went to the hospital and I took injection (kenaloid injection) for 8 months because the doctors said it would cure it and it didn't so I stopped, after another year I went to clinic that claims it could cure it. Instead it grew bigger and right now I am tired of going through pain.

Comment from: WENN30, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

At age 12 I had plastic surgery to pin my ears back. My ears are small, but they stood away from my head and made me very self-conscious. Within 6 months of my surgery I developed keloids behind both ears. They itched terribly. I soon had to undergo another operation to remove them. I was given radiation treatments. That helped to prevent the return. I am now 68 years old, and had a breast reductions, and again developed keloids. I was injected with cortisone and they shrunk and disappeared. I've had a nose job and an eye lift, and was told that being cut internally would not produce keloids. They were right.

Comment from: unhappy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I am 54 and have had a keloid on my chest for the past 24 years. It developed from a spot - was about 1 cm., long and now it is about 6 inches long and still growing . I had steroid injections that were extremely painful and only made it worse, so I stopped having them as my keloid has grown even bigger. It is very painful and itchy. Rubbing Vitamin E helps. I find it so hard to buy clothes as most of the tops and blouses in the shops are low cut. I can never show my cleavage. Makes me feel so frumpy as I always keep the keloid covered. It hurts and burns and is often itchy. I also find it very hard lying on my side and doing exercises as stretching is painful. I hate it.

Comment from: sadhvi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have a keloid on my shoulder and it has grown progressively since the past 10 years. At first I did not pay attention as it looked like a small pimple, but today 10 years later it has doubled if not tripled in size and really bothers me because it itches and seems to be growing. I have taken steroid injections and used the silicon patch. Neither of the two helped.

Comment from: AnonymousOne, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I have had keloids since I was little. It started when I developed excessive acne on my back, shoulders, and chest. They are very itchy and sometimes painful. I have seen many doctors and they've all said the same thing. I'm going to have to live with these for the rest of my life and that removal of all of them, can result in more skin damage and more keloids to form. I'm currently seeing a Plastic Surgeon for my second try at steroid injections. For now, I can say that everything is going pretty well. The injections (even though they are extremely painful) are flattening them and making them less red and itchy. I wish I could've prevented them in the past.

Comment from: Henny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I had a plastic surgeon remove a small skin cancer spot from my chest which was small (less than 1/2cm) and now the scar is 5cm long and more visible than the little spot that was there. Getting treatment now (steroid shots), see where that will take me. Surgery was 6 months ago, so hopefully we can stop it from getting bigger.

Comment from: Trent, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: August 02

I was 5 years old, I was over my cousins house they had hangers all over the floor. I fell down and fell on one, it was a wire hanger. The hanger went straight into my shoulder. It had started off as a little tiny scar. My dad had went to get me a piercing at age 6, a day later I was stupid and poured out the stuff for the ear ring to heal. The hole started to close up, and it sounds gross but he had to bite the ring out the end of my ear. So at like age 7 the keloid started to get a little bigger. Then when I hit 9 it was big as heck!!

Comment from: jerry1320, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

I have had keloids on both shoulders from acne as a teenager. I tried Freon and steroid injections. Nothing helped with the pain or itching or growing size of the keloids. EXCEPT--getting older. They have since stopped growing and the discoloration remains, but at least they are not so prominent. They still itch and are sensitive when I bump them to other surfaces. Time seems to be the best healer.

Comment from: kathologist, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

At first, it was acne on my breast. Then in 2002, I had open heart surgery and even after rubbing Vitamin E oil on it a few times a day did nothing. It's big red and ugly, and starts above most necklines on clothing, and of course, the ugliest part is at the top. I had my surgery at UCMED in SF. They would not help me with the scarring, let alone the severe depression that hit me two weeks later, but I am alive, and I am not vain. It's just that it's tender and annoying.

Comment from: jay_dub65, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I had Major Open heart surgery Feb. of 2009. I have Developed a large very prominent scar about 12"in long and it is very sensitive and also very much an embarrassment. My Dr is having me apply a liquid potassium iodide to the scar.

Comment from: John, 19-24 Male Published: June 30

I have a small keloid that is circular on my right arm. It was caused by having the Small Pox Vaccine before my deployment to Afghanistan. While other soldiers healed to a nice flat scar, I suffered of having the raised bump scar...the keloid. It's been 9 months since the shot and its still the same size; 3/4 of an inch in diameter.

Comment from: pipc, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I have double piercings in both my ears and only the second set developed a keloid (one in each ear). Before I knew what keloid was and that apparently I'm prone to them, I had my belly button pierced. At first keloid formed at the bottom of the piercing and then faded over time. However, last week the piercing caught on a chair I was moving and tugged at the piercing just enough to create a minor tear. Now, I have a keloid forming and it is so unsightly, painful, and itchy.

Comment from: luvn Jesus, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

My 13 year old daughter has developed a keloid on her right ear after an ear piercing that would not heal. We had the surgery but it has returned bigger. I am now desperate for a cure. We refuse to believe that with today's technology there is no doctor that can successfully remove a keloid permanently.

Published: May 12

I originally got a keloid when I was 12 after I had my ears pierced...only on 1 ear lobe. I had it removed with surgery...It never came back. Had a C-section with my child...no keloid. Had acne on my chest...now I have 2.. They really hurt and itch..I found that the itching subsides with cortisone cream or hydrocortisone. I have not revisited surgery because I am afraid that it will return.

Comment from: Mrs.Undercontrol, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I first realized what keloids were after I had my chicken pox at the age of 12 years old which left 6 scares that continued to over heal that later caused the keloids. Since then I've had to deal with the constant itch and dramatic growth once I became pregnant, I have found that a steroid tape by the name of "CORDRAN TAPE" its been a life saver for me and it really works for big or small and will prevent new ones from starting if it is used right away after your wound heals. I hope this information help those that are desperate to get keloids under control.

Comment from: Trinigirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

Hi, I am from Trinidad and Tobago and I have Keloids about my body that I'm longing to get rid of or flatten. I have had surgery done and they have increased sending out more. The one on my left breast is dangerously threatening to cover my nipple and this scares me.

Comment from: Carlyle197, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I got a deep cut on my finger and did not receive any stitches. Now my cut is about a month old it is not healing properly and growing flesh is protruding from the area affected.

Comment from: shelmo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have a 12 inch vertical keloid scar after hysterectomy. Although it's very ugly, the worst part is the itching and sensitivity.

Comment from: Brooklyn 5, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have had keloid since 5 years old from an old school shot. I am now 56 and last year had a mass removed from my chest. I have 2 large ones on my breast 2 over my breast from pimples and one in the middle of my neck also a large one covering my whole stomach. I had the one on my stomach removed 2 times and it came back bigger. My Doctor does not want me to try to have any surgery to try to remove it. I have had steroid and that hurts so I stop. I just have a positive outlook and keep smiling.

Comment from: Curios, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 24

I have a friend who says he has keloid skin, but he doesn't have any abrasions on his skin, it's just dry. Are there any creams he could use besides Vaseline to help these reactions? Or does he just have it confused, because his doctors told him of this condition, or is it something you can grow out of.

Comment from: tragus, Female (Patient) Published: February 09

Thankfully my keloid is not that big at all actually...My main concern is whether it'll grow or not. I had my tragus pierced last year and I noticed that the scar was healing strangely after one month. Now you can see a small "bump" the size of a large zit right behind the piercing.

Comment from: alex, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I thought I was alone but not, I feel like I have the most keloids (four) on my chest, three on my shoulder, one big one on my back. Other than the one on the shoulder, I don't even know how the other one came. I have tried, steroid and Laser and nothing worked. The pain and itch on the chest is unbearable. I hope no one gets it and someone find a treatment for this.

Comment from: chelax, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

My keloid developed after my primary school vaccination scar and they developed throughout the body. Then i later had chicken pox around age 28 and the scars developed to being keloid. I have not had any treatment and I fear that they might develop to cancer. I really want to know if they do. Also I would like to know where to get the ointment and treatment in southern Africa as my they are painful and growing.

Comment from: Freckles, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

Shoulder surgery at age 27 caused my keloid. Being a woman it looks ugly and people stare at it. I wish there was a home remedy to get rid of it, and also the itch and random sharp pains are so annoying. I read that children are not likely to get them, but my daughter got a large one on her knee at age 4 and my nephew also on his knee at age 11.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter