Patient Comments: Keloid - Experience

Please describe your experience with keloids. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Annelize, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 09

I have a big keloid on my chest. I got it when I was 12 years old it looked like a pimple. Over the years it has just been growing. I had an operation last year May and it is still growing. I am receiving treatment with cortisone injection every 6 weeks. I have put a plaster on it after my last injection just to see what it is going to do. And it is starting to get smaller and it is getting flatter. The scar is about 20 to 25 cm long.

Comment from: Craig , 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I too have had keloids for over 35 years. Unlike many of you I have so many I could not possibly count them, but like many of you they were the result of acne and are found on my chest, back and shoulders. About 30 plus years ago I tried the steroid injections which definitely reduced the size of many of them but there were so many and it was so hopelessly painful that I quit. About a year ago I met a dermatologist who I saw for routine cancer melanoma screening. It was the 1st time I had met this doctor (only because my original doctor had moved across town). She said that she felt that she could help me by giving me a numbing cream that I apply approximately 2 hours before the procedure, giving me the laser treatment, and following the laser treatment giving me steroid injections. I have to say that after 4 treatments spaced 6 weeks apart I actually believe I have hope. Many of the scars on my chest have disappeared (mostly just become flat and slightly white or clear in color), many of the others are significantly smaller or flattened, and virtually all of them have gone from the bright red scar to a much more muted pink. I am actually amazed at the progress. On a side note the itching has virtually vanished. I am so pleased with this and I realize that I will have many more treatments, but I am envisioning a greatly improved end result. This is obviously expensive and I am only telling you this to give you hope. Believe me I can sincerely relate to the issues you have had with this and I wish you all the best!

Comment from: Shogurl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I have a large keloid on my chest next to my left breast. It resulted from a small mole removal. It grew, and I had injections that were so painful I screamed in the doctor's office each time. I could not take the pain so I went to a surgeon by referral. He cut it out and after 6 weeks it returned with a vengeance! I have tried silicone patches, vitamin E, olive oil; nothing works. It is painful and unsightly. My husband is supportive and concerned that it returns and gets larger. I can't wear low-cut clothes. I am embarrassed when I get my mammogram. I hope for new medical solutions that really work.

Comment from: Bye Bye Bucks, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I had open heart surgery seven years ago and my scar has grown into a six by one inch keloid. First two years I tried all type of creams and oil. I had steroids injections on the third and fifth year, this helps a little by flattening. I got several infections, at least two per year, probably hair follicle. Today I went to a plastic surgeon who has scheduled me for removal of keloids with a skin graft from thigh. I am afraid to go through with this surgery and the keloids might become bigger.

Comment from: hannes, Male (Patient) Published: May 28

My keloids do not itch or hurt. They are just boring to see and are all over. I think I have about 16 and will try the tea tree oil first. I wish myself good luck, and to all the others like me.

Comment from: Ragmaker, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I just had surgery on my foot and I am using a cream on my scar hoping that it won't form a keloid.

Comment from: scar, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I have started with laser hair removal treatment. This left a reddish bump on the right side of my face. I have been getting steroid injections. The doctor told me its keloid.

Comment from: shy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

It all started with a tiny pimple. After a year, it grew bigger. I already have six keloid scars, one on each shoulder and four on my chest. Sometimes they're painful and itchy. They lower my self-confidence.

Comment from: Jaypi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I had my first four horrifying 1-inch) keloids after piercing my ears at 18 years old. Good thing is I saw a dermatologist who surgically removed them then sent me for two radiation therapy sessions - one immediately after surgery and another a few days later. These have not resurfaced 18 years later but I'm always careful not to get my skin punctured or pierced. I've undergone two Caesarean sections and each time I've had radiation therapy on the area, immediately after surgery followed by another session a few days later. For me, this is the best way to manage my keloids and I thank God that 4 years since the birth of my second child, I still don't have keloid formation around my Caesarean section scar.

Comment from: LeAnn, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 12

My father has a keloid scar that is very painful. The scarring keeps growing over itself, developing higher on his skin. The original scar is from a surgery he had several years ago. When his clothing rubs on the scar, it's so painful that it prohibits his normal activities. I wish we knew what we could do to help him.

Comment from: Annu, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

It started like a tiny pimple on my chest and then throughout five years it has grown bigger, like a coin. It feels very itchy when I sweat. Sometimes it is painful. I haven't received any treatment for it because I'm afraid that it may spread over to other parts of my body.

Comment from: MJM, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 10

I got really drunk one night and fell through a hedgerow. As a result, I now have three evenly spaced, 1 ½-inch scars on my lower abdomen, one of which is a keloid. Other than the distinctly raised skin and tightness, I have relatively no issues whatsoever. As a sidenote, this is the same night I broke my C2 in three places. I got real lucky, and am 110% today.

Comment from: Hope Nwagboso, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

It all started with just one tiny pimple on my chest. From there, it's as if the treatments even brought about more of it on my body. Right now there are over 30 of them on my back, my jaw, and even on my shoulders. These keloids make me excessively itchy, and I have observed that they grow if I scratch them.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter