Patient Comments: Keloid - Body Piercings

Did you develop a keloid after a body piercing? Please share your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Ellie Lauren, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I developed 1 keloid on each ear after getting a second ear piercing. I had my lobes pierced (and stretched) and had a cartilage piercing, but it got infected so I took it out (but didn't develop a keloid). I thought after having those I would be fine to have a second ear piercing, but was I wrong. My ears healed over the studs I had, so I had to go to the doctor to get them cut out, then they healed with big keloid scars. I've had these keloids since I was 15 or 16, so about 3 years now. I just took out my gauges (plugs) 3 days ago because I don't like to draw attention to my ears with the keloids. Hopefully I'll be able to get the cortisone injections soon.

Comment from: Caylee89, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I got a scaffold/industrial piercing on my right ear. It was pierced incorrectly and started to grow out, so I took it out. I waited a month or so, and got it re-pierced, as well as one on the other side. I now have keloids on both ears. The one on the left side is a lot smaller and not that noticeable. However the one on my right ear hasn't stopped growing. It can be very painful, and has quite prominent veins in it. It changes color from white to pink to red to purple.

Comment from: DML, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had my ears pierced at age 9, and it didn't take long for the keloids to start. After many doctors, we finally found one who knew what they were and how to remove them. I had surgery and radiation treatments -- three on each earlobe. When I was 12, I broke my ankle and required surgery -- and again, a keloid formed. I was not able to have surgery or radiation because that would have stopped the bone growth. As an adult, I had to have a fat cell removed from my back, and yes...immediately a keloid formed. For this one, the treatment was steroid injections, which made it go flat almost immediately.

Comment from: Gaikamsin, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

Im the age of 19 .i got this keloid more than 3year i tried remove by local medicine but in vain.

Comment from: hmk, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I had my belly button pierced about 4 months ago and a small keloid formed on the bottom of it after about 3 months. It is very sensitive. I am trying to treat it at home with a aspirin/baking soda paste two to three times a day. I have also heard that tea tree oil may help, but I haven't tried that out yet.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter