Patient Comments: Keloid - Symptoms

Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your keloid. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Martha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I had a tattoo in the ankle area, and after a month of healing I noticed thickening of the tattoo scars. Now as I observe, the outline of the tattoo mark has made its keloid formation and it itches awfully. I am here in this website trying to find some solutions to ease my predicament.

Comment from: Pam Kaur, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

My keloid appeared on my left arm due to injection I had when I was a baby, and then in my 30s I felt an itch and another keloid appeared on my shoulder. I then had surgery near my belly button and a keloid appeared. I have lot of itching and feel something is in my arm. I have had surgery to cut and remove it and it has made it worse. I have had injections, you name it I have had it, and nothing has worked. I can't go swimming, can't wear short sleeve dresses.

Comment from: M Mangar, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 10

I had a small burn, and it dried up in 2 weeks. Suddenly after 2 weeks it started to raise and became a keloid. It itches a lot, sometimes swells and is very painful. It is getting bigger, about one and a half inches in length and it is right in the middle of my upper chest, and is very embarrassing.

Comment from: Carolyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have had keloids since I was 16 years old. They run in the family. My first one was on chest. I had it injected with steroids. It did not work. I now have numerous keloids on my back, breast and shoulders. Some flattened when I took oral steroids for another medical condition (60 mg/day). One thing I have learned is not to let them be exposed to the sun! If exposed, that night will be very painful and it will itch. I have also learned to keep them oiled. Wear cotton clothing when possible. When having surgery get an understanding before surgery with the doctor that (after stitches are removed) 5 days later before scars are formed, he will inject steroids into the cut. Most doctors do not know very much about keloids. Medical schools just mention them.

Comment from: Via, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

My keloid is caused by chicken pox.

Comment from: sofia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have grown a scar on my nose which is an after effect of a mole treatment with garlic paste. Actually I got my skin burnt with garlic paste, as a boil appeared there. This keloid is reddish brown in color.

Comment from: star-dust, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I have keloids on the backs my shoulders. They're small and pink and dome-shaped. They appeared when I was in the middle of puberty and no more have shown up since. I somehow have slightly larger ones on my right shoulder than my left. They itch every so often but other than that they're mainly a cosmetic problem for me. A dermatologist told me they formed from cysts in my uterus and the healing scar tissue.

Comment from: aiysha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had a surgery in May of 2013 (rib area) and had a chest tube. Both have developed into keloids. The chest tube site looks kind of like two closed eyelids and the incision looks like an earth worm. Both itch a lot and are a little tender; kind of ugly but could be worse.

Comment from: Cravo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I recently had a skin biopsy on my left shoulder and straight away I noticed the redness once my stitches were removed, did not seem to go away like the two biopsies I had before following bowenoid keratosis. The redness is still there having had the stitches removed six months ago. I get a burning sensation and it now feels like there are bubbles under my skin which itch me constantly for some reason worse at night. I have to make sure to watch what I wear as certain fabrics make it worse, it"s driving me insane. I am 30 years of age with medium skin tone.

Comment from: jimbb, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I have two large keloids under both of my armpits and several on my chest. They are so painful. I have to wear clothes that are very large to avoid any contact with them. I am in constant pain, especially from the ones under my arms.

Comment from: FlyingEye, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have numerous keloids that itch almost constantly and there is stabbing pain without warning or cause. I also have them on my breasts. To avoid false positives the radiologist must landmark each one, as they appear as masses on a mammogram.

Comment from: Siyabonga, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

My keloid is dome shaped and itching inside. It on my right earlobe and is red in color.

Comment from: ladykimmie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I cut my thumb, it took 8 stitches to close. During healing, my skin developed keloid and looks terrible.

Comment from: triplea512, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My signs of a keloid were just some red pimples, that of course I popped not knowing that they were keloids.

Comment from: Katy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I got third degree burns on my upper arm near the arm pit area on the inside where the skin seems lighter. After the burn mark healed over, it made a keloid. The skin was very red and raised up nearly an inch! The doctor sliced it off. I still have the nasty scar. It has actually raised again somewhat. I don't touch it!

Comment from: Asito, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

A lumpy keloid by my upper jaw, close to my right ear, scratches me, now two years.

Comment from: roderic, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

i have keloids on the back of head on my chest, face, arms the ones on my face and arms chest i don't mind those. But the ones on the back of my head are painful i cannot lay on the back it bleeds when I touched it itches all day. Three years ago i had surgery it worked but where the doctor put the stitches a keloid started grow and it seems like it is getting bigger.

Comment from: piercingpain, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I got my lobes pierced at the late age of 18. I went to a tattoo parlor to get it done, and it was very quick and relatively painless, with a needle. I cared for the piercing for a good while, but it got irritated. I began to notice a painful, raised bump on my right lobe just to the right of my piercing. I haven't gotten it looked at yet, but I'm afraid it might be serious...a keloid.

Comment from: little Mert, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I got my first keloid at age 5. I am now 70. I've had extensive surgery, including a steroid injection (1x); it was too painful. Radiation was used on my last surgical site in 2011. As a child I was told by mother I received X-ray treatments on an ear keloid. It never returned. I have had several skin grafts which were used on sole of rt. foot to treat fibromatosis, to no avail. The site of the graft then grew massive keloids. Locations include my face, chin, chest, breast (due to a biopsy), right shoulder, abdomen, right buttock, left thigh, right thigh, in-step of left foot and the sole of my right foot are all scar tissue. They are itchy and painful. The one on my abdomen was removed in 2011 because it caused an infection in my pubic area and is now forming again, with an appendage.

Comment from: shona verma, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

A small keloid has developed on my chest. Its size is almost .5cm and is dark brown. It developed two years ago due to a small wound. I don't know if it can be cured.

Comment from: VeeBeeEee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

My keloid is in the center top portion of my chest area, where I had heart surgery. It is very tender to the touch and itches quite often. It reminds me each day how precious life is.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter