Signs and symptoms of juvenile idiopathic arthritis vary according to the specific subtype present in an individual. These can include swollen joints, joint pain, joint warmth, stiff joints, limping, and favoring one limb over another. Some subtypes of juvenile idiopathic arthritis can cause other associated symptoms such as swollen lymph nodes, weight loss, fatigue, irritability, appetite loss, fever, and skin rash.
Cause of a juvenile idiopathic arthritis
The term idiopathic means the cause is not known. There are six different subtypes of juvenile idiopathic arthritis, and the cause is not known. There is a known genetic predisposition to developing the condition.
Other juvenile idiopathic arthritis symptoms and signs
- Appetite Loss
- Joint Pain
- Joint Warmth
- Stiff Joints
- Swollen Joints
- Swollen Lymph Nodes
- Weight Loss
Main Article on Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Rheumatoid Arthritis Exercises: Joint-Friendly Workouts
Regular exercise boosts fitness and helps reverse joint stiffness for people with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). WebMD demonstrates...
Rheumatoid Arthritis Quiz: What is Rheumatoid Arthritis?
How is rheumatoid arthritis different from other forms of arthritis, such as osteoarthritis and gout? Take the Rheumatoid...
What Is Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)? Symptoms, Treatment, Diagnosis
What is rheumatoid arthritis (RA)? Learn about treatment, diagnosis, and the symptoms of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Discover...
Examples of Medications for Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis Symptoms and Signs
- abatacept (Orencia)
- anakinra (Kineret)
- azathioprine (Azasan)
- cyclosporine microemulsion capsule - oral, Gengraf, Neoral
- cyclosporine microemulsion solution - oral, Gengraf, Neoral
- dexamethasone (Decadron, DexPak)
- etanercept (Enbrel)
- hydrocortisone injection (Solu-Cortef, A-Hydrocort)
- hydrocortisone sodium succinate - injection, A-Hydrocort, Solu-Cortef
- ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, Nuprin)
- indomethacin, Indocin, Indocin-SR (Discontinued Brand in U.S.)
- methotrexate (Rheumatrex, Trexall)
- methylprednisolone (Medrol)
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- Otezla (apremilast) Side Effects, Warnings, and Drug Interactions
- prednisolone (Orapred, Pediapred)
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- sulfasalazine (Azulfidine)
- tocilizumab (Actemra)
- triamcinolone acetonide 0.1% dental paste (Kenalog Orabase, Oralone)
- Types of Arthritis Medications