Patient Comments: Jock Itch - Treatments

What treatments have been successful in treating your jock itch? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: DubrovnikDude, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

Having suffered with jock itch for many years, I have recently been told of a quick cure which seems to work for me. Once a day, after washing and drying the affected area, apply a small amount of hand sanitizer to the rash. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that upon the first application you will probably jump about 10 feet in the air and yell a few obscenities due to the initial pain. But grit your teeth and the pain will soon go. After a few applications you will notice the affected area clears up. Well, it worked for me anyway and I hope it does for you too!

Comment from: Robert80, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 24

I have had jock itch off and on for 40 years. Soon as I stop applying anti-fungal cream it is back. I apply the cream twice daily and wear loose cotton fabrics, even so in hot conditions it returns. I have tried every type and make of cream. No difference. This week I have applied cider vinegar 50-50 with water. Apply liberally 3 times a day. I must say it has cleared the rash very quickly and stopped the itching. Let us hope I have found some relief at last.

Comment from: Canuck Guy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 21

A few people mentioned using Absorbine Jr for jock itch and I'm familiar with the product as I frequently encountered athlete's foot while a gym member. But that stuff, while effective, stung my toes badly so I switched to Desenex antifungal powder. So when my sweat rash progressed to jock itch and even produced a bad odor I reached for the Desenex and it did the job. Sadly I have it again and it's not even summer here. Maybe I got really overheated shoveling snow.

Comment from: MikeH, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

A great thing to use for jock itch and other penis skin irritations is a creme called Man1 Man Oil. It has moisturizing and antibacterial vitamins and nutrients in it, exactly what the skin needs. I've used it several times in the past and it always delivers. Keep it in mind.

Comment from: PC, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

I got severe jock itch working in a situation where I had waders on in hot weather and worked throughout the day with the heat and moisture. The itch became unbearable and would not go away. I used rubbing alcohol on the area and it stings but takes the itch out immediately. Then I applied clotrimazole and this worked. It took a while for this to clear up. I also have trouble with athlete's foot and when it occurs I first put rubbing alcohol on it and it takes the itch away and then I put Tinactin on it. After reading these articles I think I will get rid of all my underwear and start fresh.

Comment from: Torre, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

It is my opinion that groin itch is also caused by ingesting red wine, liquor and tobacco.

Comment from: nancyemyers, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I had a car accident, was hit from the side. Twi days later I had horrible pain behind my eye. I went to the emergency room, and USD 29,000 later they said nothing wrong with me. The pain did not let up. I went back to the emergency room thinking they missed something, I spent USD 18,000 and nothing wrong. No one would see me after I mentioned car accident. The tic douloureux is now not behind my eye, thank goodness but in my cheek. I found a neurologist that would see me, I did not mention the car accident. She gave me carbamazepine that helped the first time but it came back and it seems that is not working this time.

Comment from: Misterclean, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

The jock itch first appeared in my behind. It was itching for about 6 months. I went to the doctor, he gave me a cream and it went away. But it came back the same year! I went back to the doctor month after month for always receiving the same cream, Loprox. It wasn't working anymore and the itch went inside my penis and my anus. In my insides no cream could help. I had to buy 50 billion probiotics. I bought 2 of them and took the pills for about a month, it made the anus itch and penis itch go but there was some other itch around. The cream wasn't helping. So then I switched up! I ate tons of yogurt plus the probiotics that helped. But still there is some jock itch so I have put some garlic paste in my behind and bam! Relief! The garlic was working so good I put everywhere and it was working but there was still a little bit of itch so I made a recipe of vinegar, garlic and onion in a blender and applied. Now no more itch after 2 years, I am clean!

Comment from: 55 Alive, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I have had Jock Itch here and there, mostly when heat pump is on and during the winter. I use bleach twice a week. It kills the itch. Hope this helps.

Comment from: jim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

If you cannot get rid of it, it is not jock itch, it may be bacteria. I scratched for 40 years, tried everything, several doctors and it was no help. I found cure on the computer; after 40 years of scratching till it would bleed. I had to do 2 things, take a couple of pills a day and put coconut oil on the part that itched; my testicles. Coconut oil kills bacteria on contact and stopped the itch. Take probiotic capsules at least 25 billion strength or more; a couple a day to put good bacteria in your body. You can get coconut oil at Sam's club or on e-bay and the pills Nature's Way Fortify 30 billion at Walmart.

Comment from: jc_tx, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I burned my arm with 3rd degree (12 square inches) and the doctor prescribed the ancient antifungal silver sulfadiazine. It prevented any infection on my arm. So I tried it on my groin when I got jock itch. It worked. It has gone. This worked.

Comment from: relieved, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I had unbearable jock itch; tried everything. You are not going to believe what works, Absorbine Jr. You will scream blue murder for a bit. But before you know it is gone.

Comment from: jim, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I have had jock itch on and off for years. Recently, I was treated for cellulitis with an antibiotic, Keflex, and the jock itch disappeared almost immediately.

Comment from: John, Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I had this jock itch for 6 years, had tried plenty of antifungal stuff but nothing worked. My doctor advised me to mix Diprolene ointment with Canesten. It really works for me, I am still using it now sometimes if I find it necessary.

Comment from: alobarbear, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I have been using the inside of lemon or lime peels (my wife likes fresh lemon/lime aid) for jock itch. It works great after washing first, and she recycles the peels.

Comment from: BurningVGwentUndiagn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I had suffered for years from jock itch. It would flare up daily, especially after stress or anything that was strenuous. My doctor prescribed me something called 1000 cream. I may have the name off, but it worked. I'm starting to get symptoms again, but they are mild and I will try Lotrimin. I am female, and it is caused by moisture that gets trapped. So obviously weight loss helps too, for the non-jock, jock itch. My skin is super sensitive, I tried diaper rash cream, gold bond, and hemorrhoid cream. I was tested repeatedly for STDs because my ex-husband had admitted to cheating, and never understood what was causing my symptoms. I avoided sex often because of pain from this. I was embarrassed to be intimate, after divorce because I didn't know what was wrong with me. If you saw a red blistered up rash, the first thing you think is STD. Get help, tell your partner, don't sleep with others until you get it fixed because it can spread even though it isn't technically an STD. Diet matters.

Comment from: zootgeist, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

The cure for jock itch? Three words: tea tree oil. It reeks awfully but it worked almost overnight. I applied it twice a day for two days just to be sure it was gone, but I actually think two applications did it in. It is strong, so the first time I applied it I mixed 1 tsp tea tree oil with 4 tsp of coconut (or any other) oil. It worked just fine in that diluted form, but on the second day I used straight tea tree oil. People near me could smell me for a while, but I smiled and explained and figured it was worth it. I had been using Tinactin to little avail for several days before I tried the oil. And believe it or not, tea tree oil is available at Walmart.

Comment from: ls, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

Washing the area daily with Selsun Blue dandruff shampoo helped in treating my jock itch.

Comment from: Word, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

The simple solution worked for me for jock itch. I change underwear several times per day. In my case, I believe perspiration and/or a few drops of leaked urine caused the problem. It was worse at night. I found this solution after trying all the over the counter products (which did not work).

Comment from: Engineering student, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

I tried many creams and ointments for jock itch and when it got severe I consulted a dermatologist and skin specialist. He gave me sertaconazole nitrate cream and finally after applying it for two months twice a day I won the war against it.

Comment from: Vola, 25-34 (Patient) Published: July 30

I had jock itch for a couple weeks and it didn't matter what cream or ointment I used. The itch was just unbearable. So I tried baking soda. Just baking soda to wherever the itch was, and I left baking soda on me overnight. The itch stopped spreading. I used baking soda and hand soap without cleaning with water until the point that my skin started to peel off. I used various anti-fungal cream in between baking soda treatments too, and that's how I got rid of jock itch in one week. It took another 2 weeks for my skin to recover, but it worked in the end.

Comment from: Cured, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

For four months I suffered like many of you here. Everything 'down there' itched and I saw my general physician and two different dermatologists, with no remedy. I tried all the creams and diets, etc. In an effort to make sure my wife and mother-in-law (who lives with us) didn't catch something from me, I decided to wash my clothes separately. It was only then that I realized that my wife was filling our washing machine with a full cap of both detergent and fabric softener (instead of 1/4 inch off the bottom of the cap), which was 5-8 times more than necessary. When I looked at the directions on the bottles it was clear to me that I was sitting in soap all day (that didn't rinse out) and the detergent and fabric softener were causing the problem. I threw out all my underwear and bath towels and got some All hypoallergenic detergent. Don't fool with trying to rinse it out. Buy new underwear and bath towels. I was fine in a week. My symptoms were so similar to many of you here that I hope that you'll check into this and get some relief.

Comment from: karkar, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

Our daughter has been in the hospital a lot for ketones and diabetic ketoacidosis in the last couple years. She takes fast acting insulin in the morning and long lasting and fast acting insulin as needed during the day and another long lasting insulin at bedtime. If she misses even one correction dose in a day she develops ketones within a matter of hours. She gets very frustrated because everyone tells her she must not be taking her insulin. There are 3 type 1s between spouse and siblings in our family and this never happens with them.

Comment from: vin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

Brown Listerine burns but keeps the jock itch under control.

Comment from: ashmead, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

The best cure for jock itch is to use Lyderm, It really works! I do not know if it is available in USA, but I got it from Canada. Can't say if it is a prescription drug either. Hope it helps you!

Comment from: Margaret, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

My friend had to go to the emergency room (ER) due high fever and the ER nurse requested adult rectal temperature taken by nurse. She stayed in the hospital due serious fever. Two day later she was discharged from the hospital.

Comment from: Ringo, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

Back in 1966 I set a world speed record after applying Absorbine Jr to my crotch to treat jock itch. I might as well have poured lighter fluid on myself and lit it. When it finally stopped burning, the jock itch felt so good I didn't worry about it anymore. Some sage advice: do not put Absorbine in your crotch area.

Comment from: Kyra, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I have had drenching night sweats since I was a teenager. Most nights I wake up once or twice and have to change my clothing. I sleep on thick towels and have a waterproof mattress pad. My husband sleeps in a different bed from me. My sister and brother also experience this. It's awful. I'm usually freezing cold when I wake up because I am drenched. Some nights my clothing is so soaked you could wring it out. There's never been any diagnosis for this by any doctor.

Comment from: cindy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

i had jock itch for some years due to exercising, it gets really unbearable with the itching, recently i tried some stuff including Lamisil which just seemed to work but didn't, the rash was back 2 days after using an entire tube and it itch like hell. What is helping a great deal 1. apply a solution of vinegar and baking soda 15 minutes before bath time(really rub it into your skin) 2. blow dry the area and apply tea tree oil. 3. the next day omit the baking soda and use hydrogen peroxide a 6% solution undiluted on the area leave for 15 minutes and shower. 4. blow dry and add tea tree oil repeat alternating treatments, it works.

Comment from: Someinfo, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 24

I've had jock itch for years and years and the only thing that has actually worked (up to a month or more no rash) Food grade hydrogen peroxide (between 3 - 9%) Just soak the area as much as you can. I soak up a ball of tissue and apply to the area and leave for soak in good. Skin may whiten around the area but it goes back to normal after 15 minutes. I also take fluconazole for the internal cleanse. But without peroxide nothing happens. Sometimes I have used normal over the counter creams followed by a wash and a peroxide wash. Then take the fluconazole after rash is clear. TRIPLE ATTACK! I bloody hate this stuff! (male - 25)

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 17

I suffered from it continuously for about 10 years. I tried ointments, powders, and sprays none of which had any effect. Then I switched from white cotton underwear to moisture wicking polyester. The problem went away in a couple of weeks, and hasn't been back for last 8 years.

Comment from: Omg, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 24

My jock itch was unbearable itching around the penis. Perhaps the worst irritation I had experienced thus far in my life. I had been applying a lot of topical cream, and after a few months visited a doctor and they had said it was not jock itch because they would be able to tell. Well a little while later and after trying multipole antibiotics, I ended up realizing that I had a small rash around my anus so I began applying powder spray to that that area and now the itching is dyeing down in the groin area. This was not fun and I feel stupid for not trying this procedure prior to visiting the doctor three times. Gosh, so be careful and remember that I had a case where the itch was severe in one area with no signs but the infected area appears to be behind.

Comment from: c.taylor, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 27

On the occasions when I have taken a really hot bath (to try and ease back ache for instance) a reoccurrence of Jock Itch follows within a few hours. Anti fungal talcum powder and Lamisil helps.

Comment from: SWIMMER MAN, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

I have chronic jock itch every 6-8 months. A new cure that has just been tried is washing with Clorox before dial yellow soap. After drying with a hair dryer then I used clotrimazole, I have done this for about ten days. I used a small amount in my hand, washed with gold shortly thereafter and now apply antifungal power to hopefully avoid infection. This appears to be working ok after using lamisil, diflucan, and doryx. No more itching. I will repost again.

Comment from: patient, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

I have been suffering from jock itch for about 6-7 years. In spite of taking medication, this problem does not seem to go. However I just realized that I often get the Athletes foot problem. Maybe this is what was causing all the trouble. Thanks for the article. It has helped me to be more aware about the Jock itch problem.

Comment from: itchin, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

I was at the doctor and told him about the family jewels itching like crazy, he said with one look that it was jock itch. I used up the small tube of cream that was gone fast with not many results, well I shaved the pubes hoping that might help but I think it made it worse cause the hair stubbles poke and make it itch even worse.

Comment from: Itchy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

I have used Gold Bond medicated powder with good results.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Men's Health Newsletter