Patient Comments: Jet Lag - Direction of Travel

Do you notice a difference in jet lag symptoms depending on the direction in which you travel? If so, explain. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: English Girl, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

I flew from East Coast USA to UK for 3.5 week stay. Upon boarding the plane on East Coast, adjusted my watch to UK time. I departed 9 pm East Coast time. Aside from being tired from the flight, no problem adjusting to UK time upon arrival (8:40 am UK time). The trip back was another story. Again adjusted my watch to East Coast time when boarding plane (flight scheduled for 4 pm UK time). Flight departure and landing was delayed by 40 minutes. During the flight, I was tired, restless and irritable, and a bit disoriented time-wise. I landed on the East Coast about 7:40 pm East Coast time. Arrived home 11:30 pm East Coast time/4:30 am UK time. The next day I felt extremely tired. The 2nd day, I felt I was back to normal. This is day 3 and I am forgetful and feeling quite fatigued. I have flown to Europe and back two other times, and seem to recollect that the return trip towards West was much worse than the initiating trip towards East.

Comment from: Nana, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 19

I did not experience jet lag going from West to East [U.S.A. to Europe]; however when I returned from Europe to America [East to West] I experienced confusion, tiredness, lack of appetite and over all feeling out of sorts. This was consistent with my experiences years ago when I would travel from Alaska to Maryland and return. Again, West to East: no jet lag; return East-West, I had jet lag.

Comment from: jazz13, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

I went from Minnesota to Arizona and just experienced insomnia and constipation and was really sleepy during the day. I was gone for a week. The same day I flew home and I had mild insomnia, nervousness, and shaking hands.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Depression Newsletter