Patient Comments: Jaundice in Adults - Treatment

What treatments did you undergo for your case of jaundice? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Donna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I am almost 55 years old. I have cirrhosis of the liver in its final stage. For the last say 6 months. I have been having itching all over, it drives me nuts! Now my eyes are turning yellow. I'm not sure how to treat jaundice. With the liver itch I find taking Chlortabs are helpful. Sometimes I use calamine lotion that helps too! It seems like the itching starts in the late afternoon.

Comment from: Sterance, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I have jaundice from a bad reaction to azithromycin. I have been yellow and itching for the last 11 weeks. I probably have another 5 weeks or so before it goes away. In truth, there is no treatment but to wait and just treat the symptoms (no fatty foods in your diet, 50mg Benadryl for itching at night). The 50mg Benadryl will stop you from losing your sanity at the ITCHING. I have also been prescribed ursodiol (which barely helps with the yellow) and questran (which barely helps with the itching). If you have the same diagnosis as me, just be happy you aren't dead; not everyone survives the bad reaction to antibiotics.

Comment from: hope.it.helps, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

Eat and drink as much beet root product as you can. The more raw the better. As well as milk thistle to help regulate liver function. Some sort of Vitamin B supplement is also good to take while trying to recover from being/looking jaundice. I have read of these different things and their benefit in the research I have done about jaundice, and liver dysfunction.

Comment from: Bili-bili howdy jaundiced., 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

Hi I am 15 and I am jaundiced. I didn't know that I am affected but it happened gradually when my mom recognized my yellow eyes and skin. You will never know how it affects until and unless you know your blood sample. I did my blood test and my doctor told me of bilirubin content rising up to 5.81 from normal standard. I was taken to my grandma who treated me by ayurvedic medicine and having only boiled food for sudden months avoiding oily recipes, fats, and spices mostly turmeric and excess vitamin D. (A TYPICAL BODO STYLE). I am still on treatment regarding my doctor's therapy and grandma's therapy.2011. Always drink liquids such as glucose solvent, sugarcane juice, soft apple drink and water as much as possible. In my language i.e., BODO(INDIA) it is said that one must Avoid eating lemon, citrus, spices, oils, chilies and control oneself from eating outside foods. Eat fruits and boil green vegetables and for taking a warm bath boil a neem leaves and take a shower.

Comment from: lilley, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 26

My partner is under investigation for jaundice. Bit of a scary time, however, he is booked in for an MRI scan next week. As well as being yellow, the itchiness all over his body has been driving him mad. I am a pharmacy assistant, so have been trying all sorts of lotions to try and help, calamine, calamine and aqueous cream; not bad, it helped a bit, but very cloggy and thick. Anyhow, I think we have finally hit it, it is cheap, and it works, Calypso Aftersun aloe vera gel; it also contains witch hazel. Pop it in the fridge and massage it all over. My partner had his first good night's sleep. Try it, first thing after a shower. Hope this helps anyone suffering.

Comment from: vijay, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I am 24 year old, I was suffering from indigestion of food for almost 3 weeks. After the blood report I came to know it's the cause of jaundice, and I was suggested by people to go for Ayurvedic medicine. It's been a week after the strict diet it's reduced from 4.27 to 3.87.

Comment from: Bluebottle, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

My jaundice came as a result of a reaction to an antibiotic. After five weeks, my skin has stopped itching. I still have a terrible taste in my mouth from time to time; this is masked by eating mint sweets or eating apples. I feel tired in the mornings but improve during the day. Apparently, I have another five weeks to go before I am cured.

Published: May 27

I am taking lots of liquids like juices, water mixed with glucose. Sugar cane juice is said to be beneficial as well. Avoid oily and deep fried stuff, as well as spices.

Comment from: sanket, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I am having gilbert obstract jaundice I think by birth. (I am a premature baby) It couldn't be diagnosed earlier, but at the age of 17 I was suffering from stomachache. After lots of tests finally doctor concluded that I am suffering from gilbert jaundice. I am taking medicine and following condition. But still I am suffering from that disease. The doctor also told me that jaundice will remain forever in my body.

Comment from: MJ, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

I became jaundiced as a result of taking an herb called Kratom. I am in my third month of recovery and it has been hell. My bilirubin levels peaked at 10 about 1.5 months ago. I got the Kratom at a Kava Bar. (Kava can also cause liver issues) I hope I can help someone out with this post.

Comment from: wheng, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I've been suffering from jaundice since I was 6 months old, I have yellowish eyes and skin...I've gone to different laboratories but still my yellowish eyes weren't curable.

Comment from: Dev jha, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 30

I had suffered from jaundice for the second time. First when the age of 7 years and 2nd on the age of 18 years. I had controlled my daily routine strictly like in the period of jaundice. I am not used to that type of food that contains only a drop of oil and spices. I refer papaya and juice after each short interval.

Comment from: An, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

Drink a lot of water. Avoid tea or coffee. Don't use oil and soap for bathing. Please eat only light food. Avoid fish and meat. Avoid oil for cooking.

Comment from: fahadahmed, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I have a bloody piles and jaundice bilirubin is my 3 level. Glucose is 75 and my HB is 11. My age is 25 years old. I can't gain wait. I am thin and weak guy please tell me the solution.

Comment from: Dorjee, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I have been suffering from jaundice for seven years. I have visited doctors, and they advise me to control my diet and avoid drinking. They also told me to get lots of bed rest.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter