Patient Comments: Itching - Cause

What was the cause of your itching? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Bernadette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I got up with a slight dizziness on Monday morning but the vertigo progressed by noon. I started taking Antivert right away. As of today, Thursday morning, I still have a feeling my head is bloated. My vision is blurry.

Comment from: Modupe, Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I had a deep cut on the right leg to the ankle. It was stitched up by the first hospital I was taken to. When I didn't feel any sensation or movement of the toes, I was taken to the general hospital where surgery was carried out. I started physiotherapy three months after. I can feel sensation now but have a slight movement of the toes but can't move the feet and ankle. I am looking for a way out.

Comment from: Valihoo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I surfed into a danger zone in Honolulu and scraped the top of my foot on the reef, emerging with a foot full of urchin needles and coral abrasions alike. Immediate symptoms were needle-sharp pain, redness and swelling. Local surfers soaked my foot in the hottest water and vinegar mix possible, then got out the pliers followed by grinding over the injury with a paper towel. It was excruciating. Continued the next few days with hot water and vinegar mix to reduce pain, applied triple antibiotic ointment, and took ibuprofen. Do not bandage. I did this the first night, the area continued to swell and my foot felt like it was on fire. I had a hard time sleeping the first couple days, then mild nausea, headache and stiffness followed. It's been 3 days and I feel almost normal, whew! I didn't see a doctor as I was told my body will push the needles out.

Comment from: Ogee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

For the past three years I have been having pains in the upper part of my left abdomen because of peptic ulcers. Whenever I feel hungry or whenever I overeat too I feel pain there. And whenever I feel like going to the men's room and I take long, I feel pain too.

Comment from: Lonia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I'm 63 a woman and have had itching after bathing for as long as I can remember. The quicker I put clothes on the better, sometimes jumping back in bed to cover up. Last year we went south for the winter. I do water aerobics every morning in a salt filtered pool. I shower as soon as I get out. My itching is terrible. I've tried every cream, antihistamines, and finally got steroid pills. The steroids helped, nothing else did. Now we are getting ready to go back. My dermatologist basically told me to do what I had before or quit swimming.

Comment from: rosie, 65-74 Female Published: June 15

Well, I have had carpal tunnel syndrome for about 25 years. It wasn't so bad that I couldn't handle it. But the last couple of months it has been real bad, my left wrist is in a lot of pain that I can't even move my hand very well. So I am having the surgery on the 22nd of June next week. I will let you know if it helps. Please wish that I have a good turnout.

Comment from: Stephen, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 27

Neural allergy was the cause of my itching. I am being treated with antihistamines.

Comment from: keloid itching, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I have a keloid on my chest which causes me itching. l have tried all home remedies, honey, apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, but to no avail till my doctor prescribe me steroid cream. It eased the itching.

Comment from: Lyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I have had itchy skin for almost 9 years. After 3 years it was severe enough to start taking anti-histamine and I take half a tablet every second night and that keeps things under control not too badly. I started taking Zyrtec and they acted like a diuretic, sent me to the toilet all night, sometimes up to 6 times before I even got to sleep and they caused constipation. I changed to Cetrelief (same active ingredient) but they are much better. Of course they make me sleepy. I can't take loratadine. I have lots of allergies and just can't work out the itching. If I don't take my tablets, I itch all over including in my ears, up my nose, my eyes and in all body parts. I have had every blood test under the sun but no cause found, I am coeliac and avoid gluten.

Comment from: Carolanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I have been suffering with body itching for months. It started with my legs, and now it is all over. My dermatologist said it was not a skin issue, but an internal medical issue. We ran all sorts of blood tests; nothing. I had surgery today on my knee. I was given strong antibiotics just prior to and after the surgery through an IV. The itching stopped! What can be causing this itching! Also, there is no rash. If this has helped anyone else please share with me!

Comment from: Johannes A Barnard, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 31

My itching was related to non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I had two sessions of chemotherapy and a couple of radiation shots. I was lucky to survive.

Comment from: STALL, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I started itching about two weeks after I started the pravastatin sodium prescription. About two weeks later I could see this area slight puffed and extremely tender to touch. I contacted my doctor and was told to stop taking the medicine. The doctor said that most likely the itching would stop once medicine was out of my system. The itching and spots are still present after two months.

Comment from: young adult, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had 3 years of skin problems and rashes due to food allergies. The doctor thought it was eczema at first, but blood test showed positive for ANA (antinuclear antibodies). My weird food allergies with milk, tea and wheat was caused by a weakened immune system. I suspect this was then caused by stress, poor eating habits and an unhealthy lifestyle. I avoided specific foods for a while and now on my way to full recovery, soon I hope!

Comment from: justme, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I started with a terrible rash on my shoulder and arm after taking Colace. I had a colon resection and it was necessary for me to stay on it. The dermatologist said it was not likely to be from Colace. I went to an allergist and he couldn't test me for Colace so we still don't know. I have stopped the Colace now for four days and still have a rash and terrible itching all over my body.

Comment from: Desmond, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 28

The location of my itching is always that of the cerumen glands, near the ridge at the entrance of the canal. Hydrocortisone cream applied carefully with a Q-tip is the treatment.

Comment from: Neckitch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I have an area on my neck that itches really badly several times a year. It is worse at night and this time I have had to use Benadryl topical cream eight times a day and take the pills also twice a day. It is only in one area. It has been ongoing for the last 5 years. It is getting worse and lasting longer with each episode.

Comment from: Sidharth, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

When I go out in sun and when my body gets warm I feel an itching sensation all over my body from head to toe. It's been happening from past 2 months.

Comment from: Mercy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I don't really know what is causing my body itching, it has been itching close to 8 months. The doctor asked me to take loratadine tablet, but still it hasn't stopped, it's severe now because it itches every day and minute and I am really tired, I don't know what to do, I don't have any marks or spots up till now.

Comment from: JB, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

I have had uncontrollable itching for the better part of this past year. Four doctors indicated that it was excema and I was prescribed many types of hydrocortisone which relieved the itch temporarily but of course did not treat the cause. My wife read the book Wheat Belly by Wiiliam Davis and within the first 10 pages came across a reference to unexplained itching. Ah-ha! I cut WAY back on my gluten intake and the itch has virtually disappeared. When I have a sandwich, hamburger bun, pasta or a couple beer...the itch returns. Please get this out to the public as I have read about MANY people with unexplained itching and if cutting out gluten is their simple answer...hallelujah!

Comment from: [email protected], 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I developed hives, a rash, and itching because, I felt, I could not get the soap out of my clothes. After many months of visits to dermatologists and other doctors, I gave up prescription creams and lotions, etc. I have now found the answer: All that was needed was sunscreen lotion SPF 50. Apply after a shower once a day. Sleep like a log. I am in my 80s if that is pertinent.

Comment from: Aila, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I itched for a few years and not one doctor could figure it out. I had skin biopsies and was told it was psychological. The itching was so severe that I would use a fork to scratch, especially the bottoms of my feet and arms. Then I found out I had a rare liver disease called primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC), which has caused the itching. It was discovered through a liver biopsy and it incurable. I take rifampin and lorazepam at night (when the itching gets worse) use ice packs, and avoid the sun and sweating, which makes it worse. Stress triggers it, and I also have very dry skin from diabetes type 2. Sometimes, it's unbearable.

Published: December 19

I had two cortisone shots for the first time in my knees for arthritis today. I woke up itching terribly everywhere.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

At the beginning of my experience with itching, I thought it was due to changes in bath soap and that it was an allergy from the lotion I was using. Later I discovered that it was none of them as I had changed all these. Having read this information, I feel it's time I visited a doctor. Thank you so much for this free information. It is so valuable. Continue serving the masses with such information. Bless you.

Comment from: nenengp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

My dotor change my diaetic medication as I am diagnosed as diabetic 2. Then after taking the new medicine I developed hives and I'm itching in some specific parts of my body like the armpit and stomach and the anal region. I stopped taking my new med and doctor change it to another one and now it seems I have an allergic reactions almost every night even if I have not taken my med. I don.t know what causing it.

Comment from: mariusws, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I just find my body itching at different places in different areas. I constantly find myself scratching different areas on my body, head, feet, stomach, arms, and face. It really is annoying because I can't sit still for long without having to move to scratch an area. I can't really remember when this started, but it's been ongoing for about a year. My skin feels very sensitive, it is almost irritating when I stroke my arm gently, because I can feel every hear movement intensity.

Comment from: morgana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

My itching was caused by a flare up in my multiple sclerosis due to a viral infection. It is still itchy and driving me crazy.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter