Patient Comments: Itching - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for your itching? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Spidey, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I've been fighting itch problems for at least the past 15 years. Different topical applications work to some extent but the real problem is candida. This could be quickly resolved by a round of Nizoral but doctors won't prescribe it. Instead I spend a fortune on yeast killing herbs and probiotics. The best probiotic in Threelac but it's expensive. It's been taking longer to work the past 3 years which probably means the yeast is growing an immunity to it. I am planning to get some black walnut hulls and hope for the best.

Comment from: sai, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 21

Since the past 2 years, I have been suffering from eczema and itching. I used many medicines but I didn't get any good results. Then I chose Neutralise wheat grass soap for my itching and eczema, since 30 days I'm using this soap, and it is giving me great results. Now my itching and eczema are reducing.

Comment from: Craig, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I suffered a traumatic work related event in 1994 which resulted in me losing my job, my family, my house and financial investments. I was in a state of deep shock and was unable to think rationally. I didn't receive immediate treatment for PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder) as I didn't know how the incident had affected me. It was only during the following 20 years that I discovered a fear of the workplace and I had difficulty in keeping a job. Only in 2015 did I begin receiving psychological therapy but the damage is severe. There is also a link to my childhood.

Comment from: Dan G, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I was going 3 times a week to my dermatologist and receiving UV treatments in a booth. This worked fairly well for itching for a couple of years, however, it is no longer as effective.

Comment from: Pam J, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I wanted to share my story, I have had an itching problem for 3 years. So I tried everything from creams to pills and nothing helped. So l have been getting yeast infections from some of the pills that I take and it just dawned on me that the cream that stops the itching for yeast infections maybe would stop my itching. Lo and behold, it worked! I am so happy. I used Canesten or Monistat-Derm cream, a fungal cream. I hope this helps someone else.

Comment from: columbus buck, Published: January 14

I broke my 5th metatarsal bone on some steps and went to the hospital. They gave me a boot. I wore it for 7 weeks but it doesn't hurt where I broke the bone, it hurts in the middle of the foot and that is probably because I haven't walked on it for 7 weeks. So I guess it has to get used to weight on it, but I have to be patient. Wish me luck.

Comment from: Itchy Grandma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I had hydroxyzine HCL 10 mg tablet, Allegra 180 mg tablet and triamcinolone acetonide cream, USP 0.1% for itching. I have been like this for one month now. I went to an allergist who claims it is food, cut out all of the food that came up on the test and the itching did not stop. I went to a dermatologist and was given medication and the itching has not stopped. I am having difficulty sleeping and feel miserable with this itch.

Comment from: Don, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I itched for several months and I don't know why it started. I finally visited a dermatologist and he began giving me steroid shots every 8 weeks and it has helped tremendously. The problem is that the shots thins my skin and I am prone to skin cuts if I bump into something.

Comment from: NURSE, 55-64 (Caregiver) Published: August 11

I've been exposed to poison ivy and sumac from camping for past 2 years requiring steroids and creams. Then this year there was no camping, but I had questionable rash on face only after eating Thai food that had sulfamides in it and the only thing I was allergic to was sulfa from ABT for urinary tract infection 15 years ago. I was seen by a doctor and placed on 3 day course of prednisone and topical cream hydrocortisone 1%, then rash started spreading 3 days later to breast folds and abdomen. I was then seen by dermatologists and placed on stronger steroid topical and 9 additional days of prednisone in 3 day segments lower doses and I instantly started seeing improvement. I am noting once body is exposed to poison ivy, it makes it supersensitive if more episodes occur. My dog has been treated for skin rashes too that last year with spray and Benadryl to this year special medication orally that is in high demand. Key word - as soon as you feel itch and are sensitive, wash area immediately and if no improvement, get seen by doctor for earliest treatment.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

Wetting the itching areas with vinegar, especially the red vinegar, gave me quick relief from itching. I afterwards used a Cortizone cream.

Comment from: teri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had an old wound on my foot that would not heal all the way. Several bumps came up on the foot and began to itch horribly. I could not get any relief until I used Cortizone 10. It relieved the itch and helped so much.

Comment from: trudi01, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

The only thing that relieved my itching was cold. I bought a chill pad for my mattress and it was awesome! I slept through the night without itching. Expensive but worth it! They are about USD 300 to 400 but work wonderfully!

Comment from: Shadow, (Patient) Published: March 17

I've been itching terribly for the past month and a half and I've been given steroids, Benadryl and hydrazine, and none of these has worked. I've tried sensitive skin shampoos and body wash as well as hydrating lotions and nothing is working.

Comment from: shreya, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I have itching for a long time, in fact since almost a year. I went to dermatologist and my itch was relieved for some time but after medicines finished it began again. I have tried several medicines but there is no relief from my itchiness.

Comment from: ahsan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I have itching on my legs, between the legs, head, hand, and face but there is no mark on my body. When I use anti-allergy medicine then it relieves me from itching for 2 to 3 days.

Comment from: verostar, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

It started with my daughter. She had a rash I believe on her hand and after a few weeks she was itching in other places on her body such as top of her feet, belly, ankles and back or sides of her armpits. It's been 6 months and 4 doctors later with no answers. I took her to dermatologist but still she has no relief. The weird thing is that I started to itch in all the same places and my new boyfriend started to itch a couple weeks ago. I went back to the dermatologist and told her what was going on, she still doesn't believe it's contagious. She says my daughter has severely dry skin, eczema, pruritus, but why am I itching! The medicines are not working. We have no lesions or marks other than the ones we got from scratching so much and they are small scabs. It's not scabies or bed bugs etc.

Comment from: Mary104, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

ATARAX-Depending on the causes when anxiety,pain, lack of sleep and itching. TRIAMCINOLONE ACCETONIDE-When spotty BETAMETHASONE DIPROPIONATE- for spots when they are on my scalp. Keep moisturized-use lotion throughout the day for the dry skin season CALMOSETINE-The tube has calamine and zinc so it works as a misture barrier. Great to use when skin is peeling. protect areas. It is gental enough to use on areas where a diaper may be placed.

Comment from: Itching all over, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

Zyrtec (Cetiridine)- 10-20 mg 1-2 times a day. Benadryl Famotidine 40 mg 1-2 times a day Atarax (hydroxizine) 25-50 mg 1-4 times a day Singulair 10 mg 1 time a day Protopic 0.1% for face Tiamcinolone Acetonide ointment 0.5% for body If I still had trouble all over, the doctor or PA would prescribe oral prednisone or methylprednisolone.

Comment from: KooKoo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

As someone who has had allergies all her life it seems like I always have some sort of irritant on my skin that's causing me to itch. I've found the Aveeno hydrocortisone cream to work wonders in stopping the itch while being kind to my skin. My only problem is remembering to have one everywhere I go.

Comment from: missy, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 06

I had an allergic reaction to something I ate (tomatoes, I think) and I developed an itchy rash along with wheezing. I went to urgent care where a doctor prescribed prednisone, which relieved the itching and the rash disappeared within a few days.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter