Watermelon contains only 7.5 carbs for every 100 grams and is, therefore, keto-friendly if eaten in small amounts.
- A standard ketogenic diet allows exactly 0 to 30 grams of net carbohydrates per day and about 0 to 10 grams of net carbs per serving.
- Watermelon contains both micro and macronutrients and is high in water content, so it keeps you hydrated while delivering essential nutrients.
If you do not keep track of how much watermelon you eat each day, you will easily add up the carbohydrates. If you would like to include watermelon, you must make sure that you do not include other carbohydrates to maintain the desired net carbohydrates per day.
Why is watermelon considered fit in the keto diet?
One cup of diced watermelon, weighing 152 grams, has about 11.5 grams of carbohydrates and 0.5 grams of fiber.
Some keto diet regimens propose limiting your carb consumption to less than 50 grams per day. You will need to check the carb content of everything you eat. So, if you cannot fit 11.5 grams of carbs from watermelon in your diet for the day, save them for another day.
Depending on how you divide your daily carbohydrates, watermelon can fit into a ketogenic diet. It may account for more than half of your daily carbohydrate allowance, but it does not have to be avoided. Generally, watermelon has fewer carbs than other fruits, such as bananas and apples. Berries are another low-carbohydrate fruit option, with all of them containing nine grams or fewer of net carbohydrates in one cup serving.
- Watermelon has a glycemic index (GI) of 72, which is considered high and can spike blood glucose levels. However, its glycemic load (GL) is suitable for keto diets.
- (The GL score is a measurement of the number of carbohydrates released into your circulation.)
- Watermelon has a GL of seven. In this sense, anything less than 10 is considered healthy.
- So, while the carbohydrates in watermelon are quickly released, there are not many in the bloodstream.
The nutritional content of watermelon
|Carbohydrates||11 grams, 4 percent of DV|
|Fiber||0.61 grams, 2 percent of DV|
|Protein||0.9 grams, 2 percent of DV|
|Vitamin A||5 percent of DV|
|Vitamin C||14 percent of DV|
|Vitamin B6||4 percent of DV|
|Folate||1 percent of DV|
|Potassium||4 percent of DV|
|Copper||7 percent of DV|
|Manganese||3 percent of DV|
|Phosphorus||1 percent of DV|
|Magnesium||4 percent of DV|
Additionally, watermelon also contains the following minerals:
5 health benefits of watermelon
Watermelon does more than simply fulfill your sweet appetite on the keto diet.
- Keeps you hydrated: Watermelon constitutes 92 percent of water. Eating watermelon can compensate for the electrolyte loss that comes with dropping water weight.
- Promotes weight loss goals: Watermelon can help lose weight due to its high-water content and low-calorie count. Watermelon is high in the amino acid arginine, which has been shown in tests to aid in the burning of fat cells and the reduction of obesity.
- Reduces inflammation: Watermelon helps defend against illness by reducing chronic inflammation in the body. Uncontrolled inflammation has been related to the development of numerous forms of inflammatory illness, therefore you must incorporate a range of anti-inflammatory foods into the diet.
- Protects cells and prevents diseases: Watermelon is high in disease-fighting antioxidants, which assist to protect your DNA cells from the destructive effects of free radicals. Lycopene, one of the key antioxidants, contained in watermelon, has been shown in studies to help protect against illnesses, such as cancer and heart disease.
- Reduces blood pressure: Watermelon has been proven to lower blood pressure, particularly in the elderly and those with early-onset hypertension. Researchers believe that two antioxidants in watermelon, L-citrulline, and L-arginine, induce the arteries to widen, lowering blood pressure.
What are the potential risks of watermelon?
Watermelon has a lot of sugar, and excess sugar consumption could be harmful to your health. According to research, a high sugar diet causes cardiovascular diseases and type II diabetes. Furthermore, watermelon is high in fructose, a type of sugar.
Studies show that excessive fructose consumption causes various negative health effects, such as:
- Increases fat buildup in the liver
- Causes dyslipidemia (imbalance of various lipid concentrations)
- Lowers insulin sensitivity
- Raises uric acid levels
Furthermore, watermelon is not among the top high fiber and low carbohydrate fruits. It can induce constipation on a keto diet because it is low in dietary fiber. Rarely, it can even cause changes in the urine color.
- Migraines May Follow Daily Circadian Cycles, Study Shows
- Report Finds Big Rise in U.S. Carbon Monoxide Deaths
- Could COVID in Pregnancy Raise Odds for Obese Kids?
- AHA News: Explaining Cardiovascular Risk Disparities Among Young People With Type 1 Diabetes
- Pets Could Help Prevent Food Allergies in Kids
- More Health News »
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
KetoConnect. Is Watermelon Keto? https://www.ketoconnect.net/is-watermelon-keto/
House of Coco. Is Watermelon Keto-Friendly? https://houseofcoco.net/is-watermelon-keto-friendly/
Nutrition Facts. Watermelon, raw nutrition facts and analysis per 1 cup, diced (152 g). https://www.nutritionvalue.org/Watermelon%2C_raw_nutritional_value.html?size=1+cup%2C+diced+%3D+152+g
Top Is Watermelon Keto-Friendly Related Articles
What Are the Best Fruits for Lowering Blood Pressure?The best fruits for lowering blood pressure include citrus fruits, berries, bananas, pomegranates, prunes, and melons.
Can You Tell by Your Urine if You Are in Ketosis?You can tell by your urine that you are in ketosis using over-the-counter urine ketone testing kits, which are an inexpensive and convenient way to check ketone levels.
High-Sugar FruitsSugar content in fruit varies. High-sugar fruits include mangoes, pears, grapes, cherries, bananas, figs, and watermelon. Low-sugar fruits include avocados, guava, raspberries, cantaloupe, papayas, and strawberries.
Ketogenic DietThese are low-carb diets -- the basic idea is to get most of your calories from protein and fat. There are some benefits, but you should be careful with them, especially if you have certain medical issues.
High-Fiber FoodsLearn about high-fiber foods. From fresh fruits to whole grains, these fiber-rich foods can lower cholesterol, prevent constipation, and improve digestion.
Best & Worst JuicesAlthough the best kinds of juice deliver a bounty of vitamins, the worst are hardly better than liquid candy. Learn to distinguish between the healthy juices and the unhealthy diet wreckers here.
Top 11 Signs You Are in KetosisKetosis is defined as a natural metabolic process that involves the production of energy from the breakdown of fat into ketone bodies. Signs that suggest you are in ketosis include fatigue, bad breath, dry mouth, weight loss, flu-like symptoms and decreased hunger and thirst.
What Are 10 Health Benefits of Eating Watermelon?Eating watermelon offers lots of health benefits that you may not know about. The 10 health benefits of eating watermelon include protection against heart disease, improved hydration, provides antioxidants, and other benefits.
What Do You Eat in the First Week of Your Keto (Ketogenic) Diet Plan?The ketogenic, or keto, diet is a strict, low-carb, moderate-protein, and high-fat diet plan that helps people lose weight, cleanse their bodies of extra sugars, and improve their overall health. The first week of your ketogenic diet plan, eat less than 50 grams of carbohydrates daily.
What Fruits Should Diabetics Avoid?Managing diabetes successfully is about managing a combination of blood glucose levels. Diabetics do not have to avoid fruit, but they should adhere to sensible portion sizes and watch their overall carb intake.
Which Fruit is Best in the Second Trimester?When you are pregnant, it is important to have a well-balanced diet, with variable nutritious foods that include fruit and vegetables. Fruits that are the most important to eat during the second trimester include bananas, apples, berries and other fruits.
Which Fruits Are High in Potassium?Potassium is an important mineral that plays a vital role in the body. Fruits that are high in potassium include bananas, cantaloupe, oranges, avocados, grapefruit, apricots, honeydew, guava and kiwi.
Which Fruits Have the Highest Protein?The recommended daily allowance of protein for adults is 0.36 grams per pound of bodyweight. The fruits that have the highest protein content include avocados and guava.
Why Is Passion Fruit So Good for You?Passion is a round or oval fruit that grows on a vine. Passion fruit is good for you because it is high in fiber, lowers inflammation, and it's rich in antioxidant-rich polyphenols.