Shingles is an infection caused by the varicella-zoster virus. Shingles symptoms and signs include skin burning, numbness, and tingling along with a painful red, blistering rash. Shingles is contagious until all of the blisters have crusted over. Read more: Is Shingles Contagious? Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Shingles Quiz: Symptoms, Vaccine & Pictures
Shingles falls within a well-known family of viruses that cause itching, burning, blisters, and pain. Take the Shingles Quiz to...
Picture of Shingles
An acute infection caused by the herpes zoster virus, the same virus as causes chickenpox. See a picture of Shingles and learn...
Shingles Rash Pictures, Symptoms, Vaccine Facts
Is shingles contagious? Shingles (herpes zoster virus) is a painful, contagious rash caused by the Varicella zoster virus. Learn...
Rosacea, Acne, Shingles: Common Adult Skin Diseases
Learn to spot and treat skin conditions commonly found in adults such as acne, eczema, shingles, psoriasis, rosacea, hives, cold...
Shingles: Myths and Facts About the Shingles Virus
There are some common misconceptions about this viral illness and the uncomfortable rash it can cause. Here's a guide through the...
Related Disease Conditions
Chickenpox (chicken pox) is a contagious childhood disease caused by the varicella-zoster virus. Symptoms have an incubation...
Shingles, or herpes zoster, is a painful rash caused by the varicella zoster virus. Other shingles symptoms include headache,...
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Shingles and Pregnancy
Becoming infected with chickenpox during pregnancy could cause birth defects in your unborn child. Likewise, shingles could also...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Shingles (Herpes Zoster) FAQs
- Home Remedies for Shingles
- Shingles Pain
- Shingles: A Painful Rash -- Is It Shingles?
- Can the Chicken Pox Vaccine Cause Shingles?
- Can Stress Cause Shingles?
- Shingles Contagious Period and Diagnosis
- Shingles Prevention: Who Should Get the Vaccine?
- Shingles During Pregnancy
- Shingles Treatment
- Shingles Symptoms and Signs
- Shingles Causes
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Cancer Patients May Face Greater Risk of Shingles
- Health Tip: When to Get the Shingles Vaccine
- Trying to Get the New Shingles Vaccine? Join the Crowd
- Health Tip: Shingles 101
- New Shingles Vaccine Approved by FDA
- Health Tip: One of Three Adults Gets Shingles
- Is Shingles Tied to Heart, Stroke Risk?
- Shingles Vaccine Cuts Chronic Pain, Hospitalizations
- Experimental Shingles Vaccine Looks Quite Effective: Study
- Chickenpox, Shingles Vaccines Linked to Rare Eye Inflammation
- Shingles Linked to Raised Heart Risks for Seniors, Study Finds
- Shingles Vaccine Appears to Cut Odds of Long-Term Pain
- Health Tip: Easing the Pain of Shingles
- Study Ties Shingles Virus to Dangerous Blood Vessel Disease in Elderly
- Shingles Vaccine Still Effective After Chemotherapy
- Stroke Risk Spikes Shortly After Shingles Episode: Study
- Boomers Should Consider Shingles Vaccine, Physician Says
- Younger Adults Who've Had Shingles May Face Higher Stroke Risk
- Chickenpox Vaccine Not Responsible for Rise in Shingles, Study Says
- Few U.S. Seniors Take Advantage of Shingles Vaccine
- Newer Rheumatoid Arthritis Drugs Don't Seem to Increase Risk of Shingles
- Untreated Depression May Cut Shingles Vaccine Effectiveness
- Shingles Not Linked to Increased Cancer Risk, Study States
- Shingles Vaccine Safe for Those With Autoimmune Diseases: Study
- FDA Approves Horizant for Post-Shingles Pain
- Little Short-Term Risk of Repeat Bout of Shingles, Study Finds
- Shingles Vaccine Deemed Safe in Large Study
- Children With Asthma at Higher Risk for Shingles: Study
- Health Tip: Getting the Shingles Vaccine
- FDA: Shingles Vaccine OK at Age 50 and Up
- Shingles Returns More Often Than Thought
- Health Tip: Recognizing Symptoms of Shingles
- Qutenza Approved for Post-Shingles Nerve Pain
- Shingles May Raise Risk of Stroke
- Family History Ups Shingles Risk
- Age 60 or Older? Get Shingles Vaccine
- 1 Million Shingles Patients in U.S.
- Shingles Drug Reduces Spinal Cord Injury Pain
- FDA Approves First Shingles Vaccine
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter