Poison ivy produces urushiol, an oily chemical, that causes an itchy, painful reddish rash in people who come in contact with the plant. The rash lasts for one to three weeks. People should seek medical care for poison ivy exposure if the resulting rash covers a large portion of the body, if the rash develops on the genitalia or face, or if there is swelling around the eyes or of the throat. Read more: Is Poison Ivy Contagious? Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Skin Conditions Quiz: Common Skin Diseases
Could you identify a scabies infestation? Take the Skin Diseases Pictures Quiz and learn to identify common conditions that...
Summer Skin Risks: Sunburn, Bug Bites & Poison Ivy
When it comes to summer, there plenty of hazards under the sun! Take the Summer Skin Hazards Quiz and clue in on the dangers to...
Picture of Rash from Poisonous Plants
Poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac are plants that contain an irritating, oily sap called urushiol. See a picture of Rash...
Picture of Poison Ivy
Poison ivy has characteristic shiny, red, three-leaf configuration. See a picture of Poison Ivy and learn more about the health...
Summer Skin-Hazard Pictures: Stings, Bites, Burns, and More
Don't let spider bites, sunburn, poison ivy, chigger bites, and jellyfish stings sabotage your healthy skin. Learn how you can...
Plants and Rashes: Poison Ivy, Oak, Sumac and More
You may know to look for poison ivy's three-leaf stem, but what else do you know about rash-causing plants? WebMD explores myths...
Related Disease Conditions
Poison ivy, oak, and sumac contain a substance called urushiol, which causes a rash on people who come in contact with them....
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Swallowing Problems (Dysphasia)
Dysphagia or difficulty in swallowing, swallowing problems. Dysphagia is due to problems in nerve or muscle control. It is...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Skin Conditions Picture FAQs
- Summer Skin Hazards Pictures FAQs
- 8 Myths and Truths About Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac
- Prevention of Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac Rash
- Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac: Symptoms and Signs
- How to Identify Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac
- Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac Treatment and Complications
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Manage Poison Ivy Rash
- Health Tip: Treating Poison Ivy
- Poison Ivy's Gonna Get Ya...
- Poison Ivy, Oak and Sumac Rashes Can Be Serious
- Health Tip: Ease the Itch of Poison Ivy
- Health Tip: Help Prevent a Poison Ivy Rash
- Health Tip: Prevent Exposure to Poison Ivy
- Health Tip: Poison Ivy Rash
- Climate Change Brings Super Poison Ivy