Pinkeye (conjunctivitis) is inflammation of the conjunctiva. Whether pinkeye is contagious depends upon what is causing the irritation. With pinkeye, people may experience swollen eyelids, a pinkish color in the whites of the eyes, eye discharge, photophobia, increased tear production, and itching. Read more: Is Pinkeye Contagious? Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Bacterial Conjunctivitis (Pink Eye)
Pink eye, or conjunctivitis, is redness and inflammation of the membranes (conjuctiva) covering the whites of the eyes and the...
Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis) Symptoms, Causes, Treatments
Trying to get rid of pink eye? If you woke up with crusty eyelids and red, swollen eyes, you may have pink eye also called...
Related Disease Conditions
Pinkeye, also called conjunctivitis, is redness or irritation of the conjunctivae, the membranes on the inner part of the eyelids...
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Pregnancy (STDs)
When you are pregnant, many sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can be especially harmful to you and your baby. These STDs...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Don't Turn a Blind Eye to Vision Problems
- Health Tip: Controlling Pinkeye
- Health Tip: Preventing Pinkeye
- Health Tip: What's Behind Allergic Pinkeye?
- Health Tip: Is it Pinkeye?
- Tips for Preventing, Coping With Pinkeye
- Health Tip: Should I See a Doctor for Pinkeye?
- Health Tip: Identifying Pinkeye
- Health Tip: Avoid Spreading Pinkeye
- Pinkeye Treatment May Be on the Horizon
- How Virus Puts the 'Pink' in Pink Eye
- Health Tip: Dealing With Pink Eye
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter