Multiple sclerosis, or MS, is a degenerative disease of the covering around the nerves in the central nervous system (CNS). Researchers and doctors don't know the exact cause, but many theorize that it may be due to environmental triggers, an autoimmune disease, and viruses (infections).
Symptoms of MS include vision changes, paralysis, vertigo, heat intolerance, slurred speech, sexual dysfunction, and urinary incontinence (the inability to urinate).
There's no vaccine or cure for MS, but the progression and symptoms of the disease can be treated. Read more: Is MS Contagious? (Multiple Sclerosis) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Multiple Sclerosis is a debilitating neurological condition. Take the MS Quiz to test your knowledge of the causes, symptoms,...
Vitamin D Quiz: Test Your IQ of Dietary Supplements
What happens to the body when there is a vitamin D deficiency? Take the Vitamin D Quiz to find out what you may be missing.
Picture of Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis may be single or multiple and may range from mild to severe in intensity and short to long in...
Urinary Incontinence in Women: Types, Causes, and Treatments for Bladder Control
Urinary incontinence in women is a common problem. Overactive bladder (OAB), stress incontinence, and urge incontinence can be...
Symptoms of Mono: Infectious Mononucleosis Treatment
What is mononucleosis (mono)? Learn about mononucleosis (mono) symptoms, treatment, and diagnosis. Discover how mononucleosis...
Vitamin D Deficiency: How Much Vitamin D Is Enough?
What does vitamin D do? Learn about vitamin D benefits and discover foods that are high in vitamin D. Explore vitamin D...
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Symptoms and Treatment
Learn about multiple sclerosis (MS) causes, symptoms, and treatment for this autoimmune disease that attacks the nerves of the...
Muscle Cramps (Charley Horse) and Muscle Spasm Remedies
What causes muscle spasms and cramps (charley horse)? What is the differences between muscle spasms and cramps? Learn about...
What You Should Know About Multiple Sclerosis
Learn about celebrities, such as Montel Williams and Jack Osbourne, who are living with multiple sclerosis.
Multiple Sclerosis: Making an MS Friendly Home
Adults with multiple sclerosis may be at risk for injuries, hazards, and falling at home. Some simple home modifications can...
Related Disease Conditions
Infectious mononucleosis is a virus infection in which there is an increase of white blood cells that are mononuclear (with a...
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Life Expectancy
Multiple sclerosis or MS is an autoimmune disorder in which brain and spinal cord nerve cells become demyelinated. This damage...
Vertigo (Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and Home Remedies)
Vertigo is the sensation of spinning or rocking, even when someone is at rest. Vertigo may be caused by a problem in the brain or...
There are many types of urinary incontinence (UI), which is the accidental leakage of urine. These types include stress...
Alternative Treatment for MS (CAM for MS)
The term alternative therapy, in general, is used to describe any medical treatment or intervention that has not been...
Urinary Incontinence in Children
Urinary incontinence in children (enuresis) is twice as common in boys as in girls and may occur during the daytime or nighttime....
Urinary Incontinence in Women
Millions of women suffer from urinary incontinence (UI). UI occurs twice as often in women as in men. There are many types of...
Mold exposure may cause symptoms in people who are sensitive to molds. Symptoms of mold allergy include sneezing, runny nose,...
Muscle spasms are involuntary muscle contractions that come on suddenly and are usually quite painful. Dehydration, doing...
Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D deficiency has been linked with rickets, cancer, cardiovascular disease, severe asthma in children and cognitive...
Double vision (diplopia) is a symptom that my indicate Graves' disease, myasthenia gravis, stroke, multiple sclerosis,...
Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
Multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms vary from person to person, and can last for days to months without periods of remission....
Is Mononucleosis (Mono) Contagious?
Mononucleosis (mono) is caused by the Epstein-Barr virus and can be transmitted by an infected person's saliva. Mono symptoms and...
Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV)
The Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) is a common cause of mononucleosis (viral pharyngitis). Symptoms and signs of an EBV infection...
MS (Multiple Sclerosis) vs. ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) Differences and Similarities
ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Lou Gehrig's disease) and MS (multiple sclerosis) are both diseases of the nervous system...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- baclofen (Gablofen, Lioresal)
- mitoxantrone (Novantrone)
- Avonex (interferon beta 1a injection)
- fingolimod (Gilenya)
- dimethyl fumarate (Tecfidera)
- teriflunomide (Aubagio)
- interferon beta-1a (Rebif)
- peginterferon beta-1a (Plegridy)
- Baclofen vs. Flexeril (Side Effects and Interactions)
- Interferon Beta-1b (Betaseron, Extavia)
Prevention & Wellness
- For Medicare Patients, Costs of MS Drugs Rise Sevenfold Over 10 Years
- Regular Vaccines Advised With Multiple Sclerosis
- Scans Reveal 'Smoldering' Spots in Brains Touched by MS
- Surgery Not a Relapse Risk for MS Patients
- Obesity May Boost Odds for MS in Kids
- MS Linked to Higher Cancer Risk
- Obesity Could Worsen MS Disability
- MS Patients Now Pay 20 Times More for Drugs Than a Decade Ago
- Many Misdiagnosed With MS
- Second New MS Drug Secures FDA Approval
- Mavenclad Approved for Multiple Sclerosis
- Mayzent Approved for Relapsing MS
- Common MS Treatment Can Bring Longer, Healthier Life
- Managing MS
- Study Disputes Pregnancy Link to MS Relapses
- Could Too Much Soda Worsen MS?
- Hot Cocoa May Ease the Fatigue of MS
- Health Tip: Managing Fatigue Associated With MS
- Stem Cell Transplant May Help Some With Aggressive MS
- Low-Dose Aspirin May Help Fight MS, Mouse Study Hints
- Selma Blair Reveals MS Diagnosis
- Medical Marijuana Might Help MS Patients, But Uncertainty Remains
- For Many With MS, Well-Being Increases With Age
- New Drug Could Help Kids With MS
- Drug Slows Brain Shrinkage in Progressive MS
- Doctors Discover New Type of Multiple Sclerosis
- Pain, Sleeplessness Often Precede MS: Study
- New MRI Test May Predict Severity of MS
- Paints, Solvents Tied to Big Rise in MS Risk for Some Smokers
- Use of MS Drug Expanded to Include Children
- Stem Cell Transplant for MS Shows Promise
- Sunnier Days in Youth May Mean Less Odds of MS Later
- Eating Fish Might Guard Against MS
- Controversial MS Treatment Found to Be Ineffective
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter