Meningitis, inflammation of the meninges, symptoms and signs include neck stiffness, headache, and fever. There are five types of meningitis: viral, bacterial, fungal, parasitic, and noninfectious. Read more: Is Meningitis Contagious? Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Meningitis Quiz: Test Your Infectious Disease IQ
What is meningitis and what causes it? Take our Meningitis Quiz to learn the causes, symptoms, treatments, and complications of...
Childhood Diseases: Measles, Mumps, & More
Is your child at risk for these childhood diseases? Know what to look for and when to call the doctor for conditions such as...
Related Disease Conditions
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Encephalitis is a brain inflammation that causes sudden fever, vomiting, headache, light sensitivity, stiff neck and back,...
Bell's Palsy (Facial Nerve Problems) Paralysis Causes and Treatments
Bell's palsy is one type of facial nerve paralysis. The 7th cranial nerve controls the muscles of the face, and although...
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Fungal meningitis is a rare disease that is not contagious. Symptoms include fever, headache, stiff neck, nausea, and vomiting....
Mastoiditis (Symptoms, Treatment, Cure in Adults and Children
Mastoiditis in children and adults is inflammation and/or infection of the mastoid bone, which is located behind the ear. The...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Doctors Not Talking About Newer Meningitis Vaccine
- If You're Tempted to Eat Raw Centipedes, Don't
- When Does Your Child's Headache Call for a Doctor Visit?
- Pharmacist Involved in Deadly Meningitis Outbreak Receives 8-Year Jail Term
- Pharmacist Faces Trial Over Deadly U.S. Meningitis Outbreak
- Compounding Pharmacy Co-Founder to Be Sentenced for Deadly Meningitis Outbreak
- First Criminal Trial in Meningitis Outbreak Caused by Tainted Steroids
- Meningitis B Vaccine Falls Short of Expectations
- New Bacterial Meningitis Vaccine Approved
- FDA Approves New Vaccine to Protect Against Meningitis
- 2 Vaccines Help Cut Bacteria That Cause Meningitis, Study Finds
- Doctors Urge Meningitis Shots for Vulnerable Infants, Children
- Same Meningitis Strain Behind Drexel, Princeton Outbreaks: CDC
- Meningitis Outbreaks: FAQ
- As More Meningitis Cases Hit Colleges, Experts Urge Awareness
- Princeton Students Safe to Travel Despite Meningitis Outbreak: CDC
- Man Relapsed After Treatment for Meningitis Tied to Tainted Injections
- Deadly Meningitis Cases Worry Gay Community
- Childhood Meningitis Tied to Reduced Education, Employment Prospects
- Combo Therapy Helps Knock Out Fungal Meningitis
- Fungal Meningitis Patients: A Long Road to Recovery
- FDA, States Weigh Pharmacy Regulation in Wake of Meningitis Outbreak
- Secondhand Smoke Puts Children at Risk for Meningitis
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter