Lyme disease may be transmitted to humans via the bite of an infected tick. The bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi causes the disease and is passed to humans during a tick's blood meal. Lyme disease does not spread from person to person. Read more: Is Lyme Disease Contagious? Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Lyme Disease Quiz: Symptoms & Signs
What you do not know about Lyme disease may surprise you. Learn the causes, symptoms, treatments, and complications of this...
Picture of Lyme Disease (Erythema-Migrans)
Lyme disease is caused by the spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi and is transmitted by the pinhead-sized Ixodes ticks. See a picture...
Picture of Lyme Disease
Lyme disease is transmitted through a bite from a specific type of tick. See a picture of Lyme Disease and learn more about the...
Lyme Disease Symptoms, Rash, Treatments
Lyme disease is caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi transmitted to humans through infected deer ticks. Lyme disease...
Related Disease Conditions
Lyme disease is a bacterial illness, which is spread by ticks when they bite the skin. Initially the disease affects the skin...
Palpitations (Causes and Symptoms)
Palpitations are uncomfortable sensations of the heart beating hard, rapidly, or irregularly. Some types of palpitations are...
Bell's Palsy (Facial Nerve Problems) Paralysis Causes and Treatments
Bell's palsy is one type of facial nerve paralysis. The 7th cranial nerve controls the muscles of the face, and although...
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Ticks are known transmitters of disease to humans and animals. Tick-borne diseases include Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Preventing Lyme Disease in Pets
- Health Tip: Identifying Signs of Tickborne Illness
- Lyme Disease Striking More Americans in More States
- Big Slice of Red Meat Allergies Tied to Tick Bites
- As Ticks Reach Record Numbers, Take Precautions
- Lyme-Bearing Ticks More Widespread in U.S. Than Thought
- Health Tip: Avoiding Lyme Disease
- U.S. Illnesses Tied to Ticks, Mosquitoes Are Soaring
- Lone Star Ticks Won't Give You Lyme, But Can Still Make You Sick
- Health Tip: Recognizing Lyme Disease
- Researchers Developing Early Detection Test for Lyme Disease
- Ticks Carrying Lyme Disease Confirmed in Eastern National Parks
- Study: El Nino Could Boost Lyme Disease in Western U.S.
- Study: Longer-Term Antibiotics Won't Ease 'Chronic Lyme Disease'
- Lyme Disease 'Biofilm' Eludes Antibiotics: Report
- Gene Discovery Could Point to New Lyme Disease Test: Study
- New Lyme Disease Bacteria Discovered in Upper Midwest: CDC
- Lyme Disease in U.S. Is Under-Reported, CDC Says
- Lyme Disease More Serious, Costly Than Believed: Study
- Culling Deer Herd Curbs Lyme Disease, Study Says
- U.S. Lyme Disease Cases Vastly Underreported: CDC
- Study Debunks Lyme Disease-Autism Link
- Tick-Borne Illnesses in U.S. Move Beyond Lyme Disease
- Northeast U.S. Should Brace for Spike in Lyme Disease: Expert
- Map Shows Where in U.S. to Beware of Lyme Disease
- Health Tip: Learn the Signs of Lyme Disease
- Review Panel Leaves Controversial Lyme Disease Guidelines Unchanged
- Genetic Engineering Raises Hope for Lyme Disease Vaccine
- Watch Out for Lyme Disease
- As Earth Warms, Lyme Disease Could Flourish
- Lyme Disease and Violence: No Link
Infectious Disease Resources
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter