Hummus can be a part of the daily diet if consumed in moderation, and the rest of the diet contains a diverse range of foods. It is a truly nutritious snack that combines protein, fiber, and healthy fats.
According to a 2016 study, people who eat hummus regularly consume more fiber, as well as a variety of nutrients, such as folate, magnesium, potassium, iron, and vitamins A, E, and C.
- While hummus is a very healthy snack option, it should not be consumed in large quantities.
- Even though it is low in fat, it contains calories. According to the US Department of Agriculture, one cup of hummus (246 grams) contains approximately 408 calories.
- Too much hummus can cause stomach problems, such as diarrhea and bloating, in some people.
- Hummus is a nutrient-dense food that, when consumed in moderation and as part of a healthy eating pattern, can help manage weight.
10 health benefits of eating hummus daily
People in the United States have only recently begun to incorporate hummus into their daily diet. When dining out at ethnic restaurants, health-conscious people prefer hummus to fatty dips and spreads laden with mayonnaise.
- Mood enhancer
- Fights Inflammation
- Excessive inflammation is associated with several chronic diseases.
- Hummus contains many anti-inflammatory ingredients that are required.
- Olive oil contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Sesame seeds and chickpea decrease inflammation in the body.
- Aids in weight management
- Prevents anemia
- May help prevent cardiovascular disease
- Soluble fiber is well-known for its ability to lower total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein or "bad" cholesterol, which are the two key biomarkers of cardiovascular disease.
- Hummus contains chickpeas, which are high in soluble fiber and thus, beneficial in the prevention and management of cardiovascular diseases.
- Traditional hummus is made with olive oil, which raises high-density lipoprotein or "good" cholesterol and has antioxidant activity, which reduces inflammation associated with cardiovascular disease.
- Strengthens bones and muscles
- Hummus, which is high in protein, helps build strength and develop bones and muscles.
- Hummus is high in bone-building minerals, such as calcium, zinc, copper, phosphorus, magnesium, and selenium.
- Helps the digestive system
- Hummus' ingredients provide the body with the fiber that helps the digestive system to function more efficiently.
- Furthermore, the ingredients in hummus promote the growth and activity of good bacteria in the gut.
- Controls blood sugar level
- Hummus' main ingredient is chickpea, which has a low glycemic index.
- Hummus contains special fats that slow the release of sugar in the bloodstream. As a result, the blood sugar level remains within a healthy range.
- Reduces cancer risk
- Fights infections
Is it safe to eat hummus during pregnancy?
It is perfectly safe to consume hummus while pregnant. Hummus is essentially made from mashed chickpeas, olive oil, lemon, and garlic. All of these ingredients are safe to consume while pregnant, and each has its own set of health benefits. When they combine to make hummus, they create a highly nutrient-dense spread.
Hummus is rich in folic acid. When a person is pregnant, they require more folic acid. The acid lowers the child's chances of developing neural tube defects. These flaws are usually associated with the spinal cord and the brain.
Commercial hummus processing can change the nutritional profile of hummus. To reap the most health benefits, prepare it at home or purchase commercially prepared products that contain the same ingredients as traditionally prepared hummus (chickpeas, olive oil, lemon, and spices).
Hummus is good for health as long as people eat it in moderation and don't eat it with added ingredients, such as sugar.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Davis B. Is it bad to eat hummus every day? MVOrganizing. https://www.mvorganizing.org/is-it-bad-to-eat-hummus-everyday/
Food FAQ. Is hummus fattening? (can you eat it everyday?) https://foodfaq.org/is-hummus-fattening/
Reister EJ, Belote LN, Leidy HJ. The Benefits of Including Hummus and Hummus Ingredients into the American Diet to Promote Diet Quality and Health: A Comprehensive Review. Nutrients. 2020;12(12):3678. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7760696/
Top Is It Okay to Eat Hummus Every Day Related Articles
Why You Need Potassium and How to Get ItPotassium-rich foods like bananas, potatoes, prunes, oranges, tomatoes, lima beans, and sunflower seeds help your nerves, muscles, and bones. Potassium reduces the risk of high blood pressure and stroke. Low potassium (hypokalemia) and high potassium (hyperkalemia) can cause issues.
Iron DeficiencyIron is a mineral our bodies need. Iron deficiency is a condition resulting from not enough iron in the body. It is the most common nutritional deficiency and the leading cause in the US. Iron deficiency is caused due to increased iron deficiency from diseases, nutritional deficiency, or blood loss and the body's inability to intake or absorb iron. Children, teen girls, pregnant women, and babies are at most risk for developing iron deficiency. Symptoms of iron deficiency include feeling weak and tired, decreased work or school performance, slow social development, difficulty maintaining body temperature, decreased immune function, and an inflamed tongue. Blood tests can confirm an iron deficiency in an individual. Treatment depends on the cause of the deficiency. Proper diet that includes recommended daily allowances of iron may prevent some cases of iron deficiency.
Food and Recipes: Top Foods High in IronWebMD shows you which foods to choose that are high in iron -- and tasty, too!
Vitamin C: What You Should KnowWant to see if you're getting enough vitamin c? Find out what you should know with this slideshow from WebMD.
Vitamin E: What You Need to KnowFind out why you need vitamin E, where you get it, and what it does for your body.
What Are the 3 Stages of Iron Deficiency?Iron is an important substance that our body needs in minute amounts. Daily ingestion of iron is needed for the health of red blood cells and muscle proteins, as well as the functioning of body cells. The normal body iron content in an adult is approximately 3-4 grams.
What Can Happen if Your Potassium Level Is Too Low?A low blood potassium level is medically known as hypokalemia. A blood test is sufficient to confirm its diagnosis.
What Foods Are Highest in Fiber?Fiber is the roughage that your body cannot digest. It adds bulk to your food and has numerous benefits.
What Foods Are the Highest in Potassium?Potassium is a mineral that controls the amount of fluid inside the cells. Foods highest in potassium include dried fruits, lentils and other legumes, potatoes, spinach, and bananas.
What Happens If You Have Too Little Fiber in Your Diet?If you are not getting enough fiber through your diet, your body will exhibit clear warning signs like constipation and hemorrhoids.
What Is a Good High Fiber Breakfast?A good high fiber breakfast may include whole grain bread items, cereals made from whole grains, bran or rolled oats, fruits and vegetables, wheat germ, whole wheat bread items, oatmeal, and almonds.