Drinking a cup of pineapple juice every day has several health benefits, including boosting your immune system and improving digestive health. Pineapple is rich in bromelain, vitamins A and C, and several minerals.
Pineapple juice is a good source of vitamins and minerals:
It also contains trace amounts of other micronutrients:
- Vitamin K
- B vitamins
|Nutrient||Amount (in grams)|
7 health benefits of drinking pineapple juice
- Rich in nutrients: Pineapple is packed with nutrients that play a role in boosting bone health, immunity, wound healing, and energy production.
- Anti-inflammatory: An enzyme called bromelain in pineapple juice helps suppress inflammation, which can in turn reduce pain and swelling associated with sports injuries and osteoarthritis.
- Digestive health: Enzymes in pineapple juice help reduce digestive problems such as constipation and bloating. The antibacterial properties of bromelain can protect your gut from Escherichia coli, the microbe that causes diarrhea.
- Respiratory health: Due to the bromelain content and anti-inflammatory nature of pineapple juice, drinking it regularly may help relieve cold and allergy symptoms.
- Heart health: Some studies have reported that bromelain may help dissolve blood clots in the arteries of your heart and therefore lower your risk of cardiovascular disorders and heart attacks.
- Eye health: High levels of antioxidants—vitamins A and C and beta-carotene—can protect your eyes by preventing age-related cataracts and vision problems.
- Skin health: High levels of vitamin C and beta-carotene can help improve overall skin texture and protect your skin against age-related changes and the damaging effects of UV rays and pollution.
Can drinking pineapple juice cause any side effects?
Drinking pineapple juice is likely to be safe for most healthy people. However, it may cause side effects in some cases:
- Allergies: Pineapple juice can induce allergic symptoms such as rash or breathing trouble in some people. Discontinue drinking it if you develop any allergic symptoms including hives.
- Stomach problems: High levels of vitamin C in pineapple juice can irritate the stomach and cause nausea and heartburn, so you should exercise caution if you have acid reflux. Excessive consumption of pineapple juice can also cause diarrhea.
- Weight gain: Because pineapple contains a good amount of natural sugar, beware of drinking too much or you may risk gaining weight.
- Toxicity: Unripe pineapple juice can cause toxicity in your gut and result in symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea. Make sure the juice is made from ripe pineapples. Pregnant women are often asked to avoid pineapples because it has caused uterine contractions in lab studies, although this is generally regarded as a myth by modern medicine practitioners.
Latest Health News
- Healthy Living Boosts Life Span, Even for Former Smokers
- AHA News: For This Race Car Driver, Curing a Racing Heart Was Key to Crossing the Finish Line
- Money, Good Info Can't Undo Resistance to COVID Vaccine: Study
- U.S. Suicide Rates Rose in 2021, Reversing 2 Years of Decline
- After Ian's Destruction: How to Safely Enter, Clean Flood-Damaged Homes
- More Health News »
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Rathnavelu V, Alitheen NB, Sohila S, et al. Potential role of bromelain in clinical and therapeutic applications. Biomed Rep. 2016 Sep;5(3):283-288.
Ivanova NN, Khomich LM, Perova IB, Eller KI. [Pineapple juice nutritional profile]. Vopr Pitan. 2019;88(2):73-82. Russian.
Pineapple, raw. https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/168187/nutrients
Pineapple juice, canned or bottled, unsweetened, with added ascorbic acid. https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/168187/nutrients
Top Is It OK to Drink Pineapple Juice Every Day Related Articles
Diet and Nutrition: Health Benefits of PineappleAny way you slice it, pineapples have more vitamin C than an orange and are the only food source of the digestive enzyme bromelain. Learn more about this fantastic fruit from the crown down.
Home Remedies for DigestionDigestive problems are one of the commonest medical concerns in the world. They may manifest as constipation, diarrhea, pain in the abdomen, bloating, gas, nausea, and vomiting. Almost everyone faces one or more digestive issues in their life. While most digestive problems resolve on their own, some may persist in the absence of treatment.
Exotic Fruits SlideshowExotic fruits like acai, guava, and papaya are loaded with vitamins and other nutrients. Learn when these exotic fruits are ripe, how to prepare them and what nutrition they offer.
Signs You're Low on Vitamin CWorried you're coming up short on vitamin C? Here are some telltale symptoms to watch out for.
Vitamin C: What You Should KnowWant to see if you're getting enough vitamin c? Find out what you should know with this slideshow from WebMD.
What Causes Inflammation in the Body?Inflammation is a part of the body's defense mechanism. It is a process through which the immune system recognizes and fights against harmful infections and makes toxins to protect the body. However, long-term infection is not beneficial to the body.
What Fruits Should Diabetics Avoid?Managing diabetes successfully is about managing a combination of blood glucose levels. Diabetics do not have to avoid fruit, but they should adhere to sensible portion sizes and watch their overall carb intake.
What Is Bromelain Good For?Bromelain is a naturally occurring substance derived from the fruit, juice and stems of pineapples. Bromelain may be good for digestion, removing dead skin cells from burns and reducing inflammation, swelling, muscle soreness, pain and nasal congestion.