Sex is known to be a proven stressbuster that elevates your mood instantly, and yes, it is completely normal to have sex every day. There are phases in life when you have sex more frequently. For example, in the initial period of dating or marriage known as the “honeymoon phase,” couples have sex as many as three to four times a day. This also happens when a couple is planning to have a baby and wants to increase their chances of conceiving.
If the person is single or if their partner is not available when they want to have sex, they may satisfy their sexual urges by masturbation, which is also normal.
Sex, especially with multiple partners, carries the possibility of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) apart from unwanted pregnancy. Hence, no matter how much sex you have, it is vital to adopt protective measures such as the use of condoms and birth control.
What are 14 health benefits of having sex?
Sex not only makes you feel good but also is good for your health in the long run. Doctors recommend having sex regularly not only for progeny but also because of some of its health benefits. These health benefits include:
- Improved libido
- Improving mood
- Increased vaginal lubrication
- Improved bladder control in women
- Improved immune system
- Weight-loss support
- Lowered blood pressure
- Lowered heart attack risk
- Reduced prostate cancer risk
- Improved sleep
- Better memory
- Lower pain levels
- Stress relief
- Boosting immune health
People who have sex at least once a week have been shown to benefit from higher levels of immunoglobulin A, an antibody that protects from illness.
Is it good to have sex every day?
Sex not only fulfills your physical needs but also establishes an emotional connection between the two partners in a relationship. The emotional connect factor is more important for women than for men.
Sex indeed comes with multiple benefits but that does not mean that it should be a daily and compulsory chore of life. It is completely fine for you to restrict the number of times you have sex in a day or week. This is because it does not always happen that both partners want to have sex at the same time or as frequently as the other one. Moreover, it is the willingness of both partners that makes the carnal act more gratifying and enjoyable. Forcing someone to have sex is known as sexual coercion and is not advisable.
Sex might not be okay when
- Your partner does not want to have sex (due to tiredness or sickness).
- Sex becomes a major interference in your work and life.
- Too much sex makes you forget your household or financial responsibilities.
- Excessive sex is causing inflammation or irritation in the vagina.
Hence, you should always feel free to talk to your partner about your current needs so that the two of you can settle on one thing—to have sex or not. After all, sex is not the only way to experience physical intimacy. Sometimes, even kissing and cuddling can make up for sex.
If sexual problems are hampering your relationship, you can always consult a sex therapist or sexologist.
Can you lose weight by having sex?
Believe it or not, studies have shown that having sex can burn almost as many calories as a quick jog. And while it’s not necessarily the most effective form of exercise to shed unwanted pounds, it’s definitely a fun activity to spice up your weight loss program.
Of course, whatever your reason for getting down and dirty more often, remember to practice safe sex to protect yourself and others.How many calories can you burn by having sex?
A recent study showed that during one 30-minute sex session:
- Men can burn up to 120 calories
- Women can burn up to 90 calories
Another study showed that a vigorous 30-minute sex session can burn as many as 150 calories, which is equivalent to a 15-minute jog.
Of course, chances are that you aren’t going to have sex that long every time. However, sex can be considered a mild to moderate physical activity.
- Women's Gymnastics Brings High Risk for Concussion
- Going Solo: Masturbation May Give Humans an Evolutionary Edge
- Longer Breastfeeding in Infancy, Better School Grades for Kids?
- Kids With ADHD, Behavior Issues Have Poorer Trajectories as Adults
- FDA Finalizes Limit on How Much Arsenic Can Be in Apple Juice
- More Health News »
What sex positions burn the most calories?
- This position can help strengthen the legs and core muscles.
- If both partners are standing, the woman may burn about 30 calories while the man may burn about 51 calories over 10 minutes.
- If the man is holding the woman up the entire time, he may burn 65 calories and the woman may burn 40 calories.
- This position can help partners burn around 60 calories in 15 minutes.
- The woman must lay on her back with her hands kept flat, then lift her back and legs up to form an arch, while the man is on his knees.
- Men will work their core, hamstrings, and quad muscles. Women will work everything from calves to their shoulders.
- Cowgirl is the best sex position for women when it comes to burning calories.
- Studies have shown that women can burn about 135 calories in a 30-minute session.
- The lower part of the woman's legs is braced on the bed or the floor, which can help engage the buttocks, legs, and core muscles.
- Men can work their core muscles in the doggy position, and women can burn about 84.38 calories.
- Both partners will engage their core muscles, as well as their quads. Women may engage their arm and leg muscles as well.
- However, this position is one of the most dangerous sex positions for women because it can cause vaginal tears.
- In the missionary position, the woman may burn about 14 calories in a 10-minute session and men may burn about 47 calories.
- However, there are ways to burn more energy while doing this simple position and improve core strength.
- Men can flex their core muscles in this position, similar to doing ab crunches. They can also squeeze their glutes during intercourse.
- Women can strengthen their core muscles by lifting the pelvic area with their core instead of their lower back.
Can someone die from sex?
Although there are incidents of death from sex, only 0.6% of sudden death cases are attributable to sexual intercourse. Most of these people have cardiovascular insufficiency. Other sex risks include:
- An activity of sex burns calories equivalent to climbing two to three flights of the staircase. Hence, doctors advise resuming sex gradually after major surgeries. This is especially crucial for patients who have recently undergone cardiac surgery or suffered a heart attack.
- There are reports of patients with known heart diseases in whom sex has triggered a life-threatening arrhythmia (rapid, irregular heart rate). Hence, if you are a heart patient and having sex causes a racing heart, shortness of breath, angina, or fatigue, you should see your doctor.
- Sexually transmitted diseases such as human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), syphilis, and gonorrhea may be life-threatening.
- Forcefully bending the erect penis against resistance may result in a penis fracture. The pain may be short-lived, or it may continue. Blood can build up under the skin of the penis (hematoma) and cause the penis to swell. Although penile fracture may happen in any position, the woman-on-top position increases the risk. It is a medical emergency, which if left untreated for 24 hours can cause permanent erectile dysfunction and urinary problems.
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Sexual Activity and the Cardiac Patient. Available at: https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/450572
What is Penile Trauma? Available at: https://www.urologyhealth.org/urologic-conditions/penile-trauma
Mann D. Get Sexual for Ultimate Weight Loss. WebMD. https://www.webmd.com/sex-relationships/features/sex-for-weight-loss
Feintuch S. Calories Burned During Sex May Surprise You. Healthy Women. https://www.healthywomen.org/content/article/calories-burned-during-sex-may-surprise-you
Groshura. How to Lose Weight During Sex. https://swano.org/how-to-loose-weight-during-sex.php
Top Is It Normal to Have Sex Every Day? Related Articles
48 Reasons Why People Have SexSince ancient times, the reasons people have sex have been assumed to be few and simple. However, several proposed theories suggest reasons to perform the carnal act may be larger in number and psychologically complex.
7 Most Erogenous Zones On a WomanEveryone has sensitive touchpoints or erogenous zones on their bodies. The seven most erogenous zones on a woman are the ears, fingertips and palms, nipples, inner thighs, clitoris, A-spot, and the bottom of the feet.
Alcoholism and Alcohol AbuseAlcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as losing a job or getting into trouble with the law. It can cause myriad health problems, including cirrhosis of the liver, birth defects, heart disease, stroke, psychological problems, and dementia. Counseling and a few medications can be effective for alcoholism treatment.
Do Men or Women Feel More Pleasure During Sex?Everyone feels pleasure differently during sex. Both men and women can feel great pleasure during sex.
Does Sex Make You Lose Weight or Gain Weight?Unlike many work-outs, sex is an exercise that can help you burn some calories and still have fun while doing it.
Drug Abuse and AddictionDrug abuse and addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and those around him. Though the initial decision to use drugs is voluntary, changes in the brain caused by repeated drug abuse can affect a person's self-control and ability to make the right decisions and increase the urge to take drugs. Drug abuse and addiction are preventable.
Health and Sex: Exercises for Better SexWant to get more out of your time between the sheets? Add these exercises from this WebMD slide show to your workout routine. They're good for both men and women.
Is Masturbation Healthy?Masturbation is a healthy and natural part of one’s own sexuality. Check out the center below for more medical references on sexual health, including multimedia (slideshows, images, and quizzes), related disease conditions, treatment and diagnosis, medications, and prevention or wellness.
Sex & Love QuizRelationships, sex, and love! Could it be that what motivates physical attraction in us may be all in our minds? Take the Sex & Love Quiz to challenge yourself on healthy human sexuality!
Sex-Drive KillersNoticing a lack of intimacy with your partner? Here we explore how stress, lack of sleep, weight gain, depression and low T can cause low sex drive in men and women.
Sexual Problems in MenMale sexual dysfunction can be caused by physical or psychological problems. Common sexual problems in men include erectile dysfunction (impotence or ED), premature ejaculation, and loss of libido. Treatment for sexual dysfunction in men may involve medication, hormone therapy, psychological therapy, and the use of mechanical aids.
Sexual Fact or FictionHow much do you know about sexual fact or fiction? Take this quiz to learn myths and truths about what happens in the bedroom.
Sexual Health: 12 Tips for Better SexCan you learn new techniques to breathe better? Healthy breathing helps you maintain the right balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in your blood. Breathing training and other healthy habits can improve your lung capacity.
Benefits of SexHow would you like a stronger immune system or better sleep? Action between the sheets can help you get all of this and more. Read on to discover the surprising health benefits of sex.
Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)Common sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) in women include gonorrhea, chlamydia, genital herpes, and HPV infection (genital warts). Learn about types, symptoms, and treatment.
What Ages Are Women and Men at Their Sexual Peak?Sexual peak refers to a period of your life when you are most capable of having frequent sex that is high in quality. Research suggests that women reach their sexual peak in their 30s whereas men peak in their late teens.