Sperm retention is intentional abstinence from the ejection of sperm. It does not necessarily mean abstinence.
In many cultures, sperm retention has been shown to have spiritual significance. Though many believe that retaining sperm may provide certain health advantages, no scientific evidence can support these claims.
Ejaculation frequency is different from person to person. Some men can retain their sperm in their bodies for days, while others must release it regularly. Retaining sperm is not a harmful practice.
- Some studies reveal that, if you do not indulge in any sexual activity, your testosterone levels may increase.
- One study has releveled that total abstinence for seven days can increase testosterone levels by 146 percent of baseline levels.
- Another study has found that testosterone levels increase after three weeks of abstinence.
Studies were done on sperm retention and its effect on the body suggested that abstinence for two hours before a sporting event can increase athlete performance and short-term intervals without ejaculation can improve sperm motility.
7 health benefits of retaining sperm
- Improved sperm quality
- One known benefit of semen retention for a short time (weeks) could be improved semen quality and mobility. This may be used in those who are trying for a baby via normal or assisted methods.
- Energy booster
- Sperm contains vitamin B12 in lower concentrations. Vitamin B12 plays a major role to improve stamina and convert food to the energy needed for the normal functioning of the cells. It can help your body retain blood cells and strengthen nerve cells by preventing megaloblastic anemia (anemia caused by lack of vitamin B12) that leaves you weak and exhausted. So, many believe that retaining sperm will always keep them energized and active.
- According to some research, retaining sperm can boost testosterone levels by up to 45 percent in just a week. However, it returned to normal within a few days. Higher testosterone levels are associated with increased energy. Lower testosterone levels, however, cause weariness, lack of sexual desire, and erectile dysfunction.
- Improved self-control
- According to certain research, masturbation and pornographic impulses are far more powerful than any addiction. Refraining from masturbation and ejaculation daily will enhance your mental health.
- Self-control is the most difficult thing to achieve. Though other methods, such as meditation, yoga, and reading literature, improve self-control, the most effective way to achieve self-control is by refraining from compulsive masturbation or excessive sexual activity.
- Improved libido
- Libido is the general sexual drive or desire for sexual activity. People who practiced refraining from porn masturbation orgasms (PMO) have noticed that their sexual desires are better channeled. You may learn to control these cravings by directing your mind toward other tasks, such as exercise, academics, sports, and hobbies that need more energy and attention.
- Improved immune system
- Improved sleep quality
- A study on a group of men aged 65 years and older revealed that reduced testosterone is linked to decreased sleep time, worsened sleep quality, frequent waking up, and sleep disturbance. Thus, it is revealed that free testosterone is responsible for overall sleep quality.
- However, getting more sleep boosts testosterone production. Men who slept for less than five to six hours a night had 10 percent lower testosterone levels.
- Thus, sleep boosts testosterone, and a high testosterone level means better sleep.
- Improved confidence
- As you begin practicing sperm retention, you will have more energy and be motivated to channel your energy into other activities. This increases your confidence significantly.
- When you begin practicing semen retention, you will regain your deep, glowing self-confidence and feel completely at ease in your skin. You will have a sense of peace and be get confident because your sperm content is no longer depleted.
2 risks of retaining sperm
In most circumstances, retaining sperm is a safe procedure, but there are a few considerations. Not everyone will have a favorable experience. Failure to ejaculate can result in pain, discomfort, or epididymal hypertension.
Sperm retention is a low-risk strategy that you may try to obtain all its benefits. However, some people may face potential risks from retaining sperm.
- Epididymal hypertension: Absence of ejaculation may cause severe discomfort or epidydimal hypertension, commonly called blue balls. Epididymal hypertension occurs when there is no orgasm for a long time, which results in uneasiness in the testicles.
- Mood disorders: When you begin to hold sexual energy inside yourself, it may manifest as anxiety or mood swings.
What is sperm retention?
Semen or sperm retention is the sexual act of not ejaculating. However, it is not the same as abstinence. Many guys who practice semen retention can still experience orgasms; they simply do not ejaculate. Attaining an orgasm without ejaculation is called a dry orgasm.
Sperm retention is usually confused with abstinence. Abstinence is not indulging in any sexual activity, whereas sperm retention is a distinct practice of avoiding ejaculation during sexual activity.
How often should you ejaculate?
Every person has a varied healthy ejaculation frequency, about two times a week. This is the frequency that is regarded as typical and healthy. However, it is not conclusive because this is a figure that varies from person to person.
If you find it impossible to maintain this frequency or a substantial decline in desire or performance, you must reassess your ejaculation habits.
Latest Men's Health News
Daily Health News
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Pinkerton M. Semen Retention Meaning and Why You Should Try It. Joynights. https://joynights.org/semen-retention-meaning/
WebMD. Abstinence Makes Weak Sperm Grow Stronger. https://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/news/20050623/abstinence-makes-weak-sperm-grow-stronger
Top Is It Healthy to Retain Sperm Related Articles
Can Dead Sperm Be Used for ICSI?Dead sperm cannot be used for intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI). The DNA derived from dead sperm is too degenerated to result in the formation of a viable embryo.
How Do You Cure Premature Ejaculation?Premature ejaculation can be treated with lifestyle changes, behavioral and psychological therapy, medications, and topical ointments.
How Do You Fix Ejaculation Problems?It's common for ejaculation problems to occur as you age. Ejaculation problems usually don’t pose health concerns, but they can be embarrassing to experience. Learn how to fix ejaculation problems and talk to your doctor.
How Do You Fix Retrograde Ejaculation?While retrograde ejaculation is not a life-threatening condition it can cause male infertility. Learn about causes and treatment.
How Do You Stop Delayed Ejaculation?Treatment of delayed ejaculation primarily depends on the underlying cause but may involve lifestyle modifications, medications, and counseling.
Is Sperm Good for Depression?Studies report that various chemicals in semen may help reduce depression in some women when absorbed in the body.
What Is Masturbation?Masturbation is the self-stimulation of the female genitals to achieve sexual pleasure or arousal to the point of orgasm. Masturbation generally is considered normal unless it becomes a problem by inhibiting sexual activity with a partner, done in public, or causes distress to the person masturbating. Some experts suggest that masturbation can improve a person's sexual health and personal relationships.
Sex-Drive KillersNoticing a lack of intimacy with your partner? Here we explore how stress, lack of sleep, weight gain, depression and low T can cause low sex drive in men and women.
Sexual Health: 12 Tips for Better SexCan you learn new techniques to breathe better? Healthy breathing helps you maintain the right balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in your blood. Breathing training and other healthy habits can improve your lung capacity.
Benefits of SexHow would you like a stronger immune system or better sleep? Action between the sheets can help you get all of this and more. Read on to discover the surprising health benefits of sex.
Sexual Health: Things You Should (and Shouldn't) Do After SexSome simple steps after sex can keep you and your partner clean and healthy. Learn more from this WebMD slideshow.
What Causes Early Ejaculation?Early ejaculation or premature ejaculation is often caused by a combination of physical, chemical, emotional, and psychological factors.
What Is the Average Time of Premature Ejaculation?While the average time of ejaculation is roughly 5 minutes and 30 seconds, premature ejaculation occurs less than 1 minute and 30 seconds after penetration.
Why Sperm Is Good for the Baby During PregnancyDuring a normal, low-risk pregnancy, sex is considered safe. Intercourse during sex has a lot of potential advantages, though specific claims require further research.