Having a little belly fat is both normal and healthy, as it helps protect your organs and insulate your body. However, too much fat—especially visceral fat—is not healthy.
What are the different types of belly fat?
There are two types of belly fat: subcutaneous and visceral.
- Subcutaneous belly fat is the fat that is found under your skin.
- Visceral belly fat is fat that surrounds your internal organs.
Visceral fat is dangerous because it produces adipose hormones and adipokines, which are inflammatory chemicals that get lodged in the blood vessels and organs, causing inflammation that can lead to diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.
What are the ideal body fat values?
According to the American Council on Exercise (ACE), your total body fat (including subcutaneous and abdominal fat) should be about:
- 14%-20% for women
- 6%-13% for men
However, these ranges vary depending on factors such as underlying health conditions.
How to lose excess belly fat
Although it is healthy to have a little belly fat, it is also important to lose excess belly fat in order to maintain optimal health.
Stress, sleep and relaxation are important aspects of your lifestyle because they impact your hormone system, which governs nearly every activity in your body.
- Eat healthy: Eat a diet rich in fiber and low in carbs, such as fruits, vegetables, and lean protein (fish, chicken, eggs, almonds, etc.).
- Avoid bad fats: Avoid trans fats from processed junk food and opt for healthy fats, such as nuts and seeds, to keep your weight under control.
- Practice mindful eating: Multitasking while eating can make you distracted and less aware of what you are putting in your body. Focusing on your meals and practicing mindful eating can help you avoid overeating and reduce unhealthy cravings.
- Exercise: Exercise for at least 30 minutes 5 days a week. You can also combine cardio with strength training workouts to build muscle and boost your metabolism, which can in turn help you burn more calories and shed excess fat.
- Get enough sleep: Lack of sleep or sleeping on an irregular schedule can disrupt your metabolism and lead to weight gain.
- Reduce stress: Stress causes the release of cortisol in the body, which can interfere with your ability to lose belly fat. Stress can also cause you to overeat or reach for unhealthy foods. Find ways to de-stress with yoga, meditation, or hobbies that relax you and make you feel calm.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Reinberg S. Belly Fat Is Bad, Even at a Normal Weight. WebMD. https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20151109/belly-fat-is-bad-even-at-a-normal-weight
Harvard Health Publishing. Taking aim at belly fat. https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/taking-aim-at-belly-fat
Rush University Medical Center. Losing Belly Fat. https://www.rush.edu/news/losing-belly-fat
Top Is It Healthy to Have a Little Belly Fat Related Articles
12 Things That Make You Gain Belly FatHere is a breakdown of the foods and drinks you might not even realize are causing you to gain unwanted belly fat.
25 Effective Tips to Lose Belly Fat (Backed by Science)Sugary foods, processed foods, alcohol, stress, smoking, excess carbohydrates and saturated fats all increase belly fat. Exercise, healthy eating, sleep, self-monitoring, portion control, intermittent fasting, high protein, soluble fiber, vitamin D, hydration and eating flavorful food may all help decrease belly fat.
Belly Fat QuizDid you know there is a medical term for belly fat? Find out what it is and learn why getting rid of belly fat may be the best thing for your health. Take the Belly Fat Quiz.
Belly Fat Foods QuizIs belly fat deadly? What kinds of foods are good and bad for belly fat? Take this quiz to learn about belly fat, how it can be dangerous, and what you can do about it.
Can You Lose Belly Fat by Drinking Water?Drinking water is an important part of staying healthy. Staying hydrated is critical if you’re trying to lose weight because it helps your body function effectively and will help you feel better overall.
Can You Lose Belly Fat Without Doing Abs?You can lose belly fat without doing ab exercises by focusing on diet and reducing your overall body fat percentage.
Diet and Nutrition: Worst Habits for Belly FatDon’t fall into the belly fat trap. Find out which habits may be holding you back from losing weight in your midsection.
Diet and Weight Management: The Facts About Belly FatBelly fat doesn't just make your jeans too tight. It can also be risky for your health. Learn the facts about stomach fat, including what works to reduce it.
Beat Belly FatCould your job be to blame for your belly fat? It might be, if it stresses you out. But there are a number of ways to get rid of it.
Diet and Weight Loss: Reasons You're Not Losing Belly FatIf you're trying to lose belly fat but can't, there's probably a reason.
How Can I Reduce My Belly Fat?Reducing belly fat seems to be an arduous task. Poor lifestyle, genetics, hormones, and medications often shows its impact on our weighing scales. There are no spot reduction techniques for losing just the belly fat. However, with these helpful home remedies, slow and steady inch loss is possible.
What Foods Help Burn Belly Fat?To reduce abdominal fat, try lowering carbohydrates and increasing protein and fiber intake. Foods and ingredients that help burn belly fat include red fruits, oatmeal, plant protein, lean meat, leafy greens, fatty fish, apple cider vinegar, resveratrol, choline and others.